jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (7 posts)

How practical is it to live in a tent in California?

1. Jay C OBrien profile image73
    Jay C OBrienposted 2 years ago

How practical is it to live in a tent in California?

Assume you travel from campground to campground or a faire, how comfortable is it to live in a tent for months at a time?  Assume California weather.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image95
    Sherry Hewinsposted 2 years ago

California weather is quite variable. It would be much more practical to live in San Diego than Humboldt County.

3. Billie Kelpin profile image87
    Billie Kelpinposted 2 years ago

We stay in our RV in Newport Beach from Sept. to June. We do use our heater in winter because it does get down to 58 or so at night.  Last December, we had a parties outside, but people needed jackets. We always have a campfire, but occasionally we go to someone's spot who has one of those Arabian tents with a tall heater.
    A pop-up tent trailer is do-able, but I'd say from Sept to Nov. or Feb. to June.  July, August and September are getting very hot since global climate change, even close to the ocean.  People tent in our campground - mostly I'd say in early Spring and Summer.  Otherwise, a small camper with a heater works.  Our concern is being environmentally conscious, so we don't travel with our RV.  I'll get back to you if some of my friends have better observations. Cheers, Billie

4. Mel Carriere profile image94
    Mel Carriereposted 2 years ago

A tent is the only affordable housing in California.  It's probably your best bet on a budget.

5. Readmikenow profile image95
    Readmikenowposted 2 years ago

I met a man in California who rode a bike to different fairs and towns.  He lived in a tent.  He played the bagpipes.  According to him he made enough money to live in the tent of his choice with the camping equipment he liked. He enjoyed his life.  I think in this situation attitude is everything.  There are some very nice tents available.  I think you'd just have to get into the routine of setting up your tent and gear every day and taking it down in the morning.  I've done that backpacking and it does get a little old.  If you stayed someplace for an extended period of time it may not be so bad.  There are "hot" tents designed with a stove for cold weather.  Sleeping bags for zero degree weather. Even mobile cots.

6. MizBejabbers profile image91
    MizBejabbersposted 2 years ago

A number of years ago, yurts were in fashion. I can see someone living in a yurt, but I'm not sure about a tent. However, I do see a few homeless veterans living in tents here in Central Arkansas where the temperature goes to both extremes.

1. fpherj48 profile image76
      fpherj48posted 2 years agoin reply to this

MZB..Part of UR comment truly breaks my heart while it also disgusts me.HOW DARE WE? How much more egregiously selfish & WRONG can this Country be, to accept that even ONE of our military is homeless?! This reality stirs my anger every time!

working