Sick dog - any suggestions?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (35 posts)
  1. gramarye profile image60
    gramaryeposted 13 years ago

My dog is really sick. The vet gave her antiobiotics and other stuff for a suspected bowel infection and cystitis. She has unfirm stools and (still after a week) blood in her urine. He also suggested feeding yoghurt and honey for energy. After a week on antibiotics she has not improved, but not got worse, and is refusing most food.

We hand feed her salmon, chicken and (yes) kangaroo, but she refuses after about 5 pieces. I give her honey by syringe, and yoghurt by "treats drops". She is almost too weak to walk with shallow rapid breathing. We take her for little walks because she loves it, but gets home really shaky and tired.

Over the last few years we lost two cats one at 6 years old and the other at 8 years old to kidney disease. The dog is only nine in 6 days, and I'm at my wits ends trying to help her eat etc and get better.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

1. Zsuzsy Bee profile image84
      Zsuzsy Beeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh how sad.
      I went through what sounds almost identical about three years ago with my standard Schnauzer. My Vet gave me this suggestion which seemed to help my Missy girl...
      Boil 1 lb fresh beef liver in two cups of water (10 minutes) . When its cooled down a bit blend the works into a paste. Then add 2 cups of cooked long grained rice (kind of overcooked to almost mushy) mix the whole shabang with 2 cups of plain yogurt (the one with active bacteria). If its too dry looking add a bit more yogurt. Missy really liked the taste. Feed the dog a couple of tablespoons worth luke warm every couple of hours. Missy got better  within a week and after two week got her appetite back.

Hope this will help

gramaryeposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Tried the recipe, but no luck yet. I might try again when she finds some appetite, but tonight I had to force feed and squirt honey and yakult. When she starts solids, this will be great as a starter diet, but didn't work just yet.

Thanks for the recipe - hope we get there.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

so sad, what does your vet say to do?

it sounds like the antibiotics are not working. ?

you have to be careful with honey because of the botulism risk.
    it can make an animal or human very ill.

maybe try some plain white cooked rice or cottage cheese with small bites of chicken.

I hope you can get the help your dog needs.

1. Richieb799 profile image76
      Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

When our dog didn't eat my mum always used to put cheese on top of the food too

3. tobey100 profile image62
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

Our last Border Collie went through what sounds like the same thing.  We discovered she had a tumor in her stomach.  Has your vet checked?  They removed Shep's tumor and he was fine.

4. caravalhophoto profile image59
    caravalhophotoposted 13 years ago

This breaks my heart...I am so sorry you are going through this with your pet...

A very bland diet might work...white rice, oatmeal and blanched chicken...try to get him to drink as much water as possible...they tend to become dehydrated which can cause blood in the urine

Blessings and strength to you and your pet...

5. ethel smith profile image83
    ethel smithposted 13 years ago

Dogs tend to love plain boiled rice and be able to stomach it no matter what. If in doubt though get professional advice. Good luck. Don't let the dog suffer will you smile They do hide their pain well.

6. ethel smith profile image83

Sorry for the smiley face in the previous post. Don't know what I pressed. Take care

7. gramarye profile image60

Thanks everybody for great suggestions. It helps to hear new things as I'd run out of ideas.

Yes, it is hard to establish how much pain she is in.

No, antibiotics don't seem to be working, but she did initially pick up a bit which gave some hope.

I think I'll try Zsuzsy Bee's recipe for now and see how it goes. Off to the shops!

1. earnestshub profile image80
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

This is very sad. I suggest checking for a growth in the stomach.
      I would also get a second opinion.

1. LeonJane profile image73
        LeonJaneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Very sad and I agree, I’d try with a second opinion (although this could be difficult). Before our dog passed away from old age his heart was getting weaker and required heart medication. We wanted a second opinion as the medication was expensive and had side effects. The second vet confirmed his heart problem but suggested we could reduce the dose from time to time to alleviate the side effects. It was all about quality of life vs length of life I guess.

Not sure if you've had an x-ray/scan done?

Hope things get better.

Thanks Leon Jane,

Yes, as per my reply to Earnestshub, we are working at this stage on quality of life. Basically last night we thought it was the end, but tonight she is a big better with a little more energy. We just continue to hope that a corner will be turned and she will regain her health.

Today's visit did rule out diabetes which was a question, and we wondered if she had reached overly high ketone levels, but today's test eliminated that - relief!!

Working on small walks and sunshine at the moment.

2. gramarye profile image60

Thanks Earnest,

Secretly we do suspect something like cancer, unfortunately, my husband does not want to do blood tests because he does not want bad news of what cannot be cured.

The vet did come again today, and says that things do not really add up, and suspects a second problem - the stools have improved, but there is still blood in urine, not appetite and massive weight loss. We changed the antibiotics today.

While my husband refuses blood tests (he is nobody's fool and is convinced that there is an underlying incurable situation) a second opinion will probably not help :-(

Having said that, he just wants to give her what makes her happy now. Some sunbaking in the park helps her drink more, and then we manage to get a bit of food into her. We are now pretty much bracing for the worst, but hoping for the best.

Its pretty sad, she is such a sweet dog.

8. Zsuzsy Bee profile image84
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 13 years ago

I actually spoon fed Missy the liver goop with a little water in between each 1/2 spoon full. I hope it works out for you. Good luck. Hope you have good news for us in a couple of days.

9. SpiritLeo profile image63
    SpiritLeoposted 13 years ago

So sorry to hear that your dog is feeling ill sad
    I wish I could give some advice but have no experience in this field, but instead good wishes are winging their way to you, hoping your best friend will feel better very soon!

10. ethel smith profile image83

Are things no better today then?

Thanks for asking Ethel, and all the other good wishes, but I'm now afraid she will not make it as she is dehydrating rapidly. Sad to say, she no longer has urine in her blood, just blood.

She is managing her pain reasonably well, and every hour I get her to eat a few doggy yoghurt drops, short walks in the sun gives her a lot of pleasure, and will drink a bit of water after the walk.

I guess we have gone into palliative care now - keep her comfortable, happy and as pain free as possible. We may have to give her a little help if she is in too much pain, but while she looks for her walk, she is still enjoying life.

11. raisingme profile image77
    raisingmeposted 13 years ago

Been through this more times than I care to count all I can send you is HUGS!!!!

12. gramarye profile image60

Sad to say, KoKo passed away this morning after a difficult night during which she took a turn for the worst. We were touched that she really wanted us to be with her through to the end, and snuggled up to us while she took her last breaths.

We laid her to rest next to her two cat brothers under a nice old tree. During her life, she asked for little and gave a lot.

Thanks for all your suggestions and caring thoughts.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

so sorry to hear. sad   It's so sad to lose a pet.  when we lost our dog, she was the same way at the end, she wanted to be near and we sat with her and pet her gently and strummed a guitar. 

I hope you're o.k. {{hugs}} thanks for letting us know.  it's nice you have her laid to rest nearby.

Thanks for your kind words RebekahELLE

2. Gabe Abbott profile image61
      Gabe Abbottposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So sad. It is nice to see though that there are such supportive and understanding people on this forum. My wife and I were heartbroken when we lost our 13 year old beagle but we were treated like simpletons for being upset.

You gave Koko a loving home and a peaceful end. I am sure she'll be waiting for you.

3. ScientificGear profile image60
      ScientificGearposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi. I am sorry for your loss, but we know we cannot turn back time. I would like to know, after a month, how are you coping? Did you get another pet?

13. Maria Cecilia profile image84
    Maria Ceciliaposted 13 years ago

I am sorry for your lost, I know you did what you think is the best for your dog....I too just lost my Pissy last March and she died with still unknown ailment (coz she died before her next examination)..my other dog Peso was a survivor of double Perineal hernia and he has now taking medication for life, and high fiber diet

14. Pearldiver profile image66
    Pearldiverposted 13 years ago

Sorry to hear of your sad loss.  She clearly knew where she felt safe and secure... which means that she probably loved and trusted you more than you could ever return.  I'm sure that she died a contented lady.  Take care and celebrate her life. smile

15. gracenotes profile image90
    gracenotesposted 13 years ago

I am really sorry to hear about the loss of your beloved dog.  I hope you are comforted by your memories.

I went through something similar last year with my dog who passed away, and who developed a sudden illness (aggressive mass developed near his spleen).

Take all the time you need to grieve.

16. Aiden Roberts profile image68
    Aiden Robertsposted 13 years ago

So very sorry to hear about your loss.

Take comfort from knowing the suffering has ended and your memories of love and devotion last forever and will never leave you.

You and your family are in my thoughts.

17. katiem2 profile image61
    katiem2posted 13 years ago

I'm so sorry for your loss. 

I always think of the movie all dogs go to heaven at times like these.

Peace be with you

18. katkin profile image61
    katkinposted 13 years ago

so sorry about your loss, you did all you could and i'm sure your lovely dog knew this.

God bless.

19. ebony4ever profile image60
    ebony4everposted 13 years ago

I'm sorry to hear about your loss, my dog passed a month ago as well, its such a hard time to go through.  You did the best you could, take all the time you need to grieve.

1. blackcherrys profile image60
      blackcherrysposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry for your loss-I wished it had of turned out different.

20. Whitney05 profile image81
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Sorry for your loss, and I'm sorry that she had to suffer her dying days without hope to find a cure. Sucks your husband wouldn't let proper tests be run.

21. Zsuzsy Bee profile image84
    Zsuzsy Beeposted 13 years ago

So sorry to hear about KoKo's passing. Our pets are so much a part of our lives that it's hard to accept when they leave us for better pastures...

22. profile image0
    patience evansposted 13 years ago

i know about that my dog kadie died and ever sad i just hope my dog max dieds

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)