WalMart!

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (35 posts)
  1. Jeremey profile image59
    Jeremeyposted 13 years ago

Are there any good reasons left to support WalMart other than their supposed 'low cost'?

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Other than low cost, I never did know a reason to support them.  Stores are crowded, with too small aisles and service non-existent.  But prices are low.

Jeremeyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

When you shop there is it a choice or because it's cheap? With all the hurt they've put on the rest of the retail industry wouldn't it make sense to spend a few bucks somewhere else to help spur the economy rather than buy from a Corporation that buys 70% or more of it's goods from China?

2. Aya Katz profile image82
      Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They are also available in rural locations where there are not many other stores available.

1. lorlie6 profile image73
        lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aya has a great point.  In my small town of Bishop, California, the only 'big box' store is K-Mart.  Walmart would be welcomed competition.  Unfortunate but true.

2. Jeremey profile image59

Where's all the "main street' shops?

2. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Low prices were and still are the only possible reason to support Walmart. I boycotted them for years based on their employment practices and putting mom and pop businesses under (big box store mentality is just ... wrong).
    In this economy, I've been waffling on my principles, however.

I have been Anti-WalMart for a while but have been getting grieve from some hubbers about by hubs on WalMart so I figured I'd hunt down some other opinions, I guess to find out where I stand in the majority or minority opinions on the retail giant.

3. Ben Evans profile image65
    Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

Walmart seems to be a place people love to hate.  Their last yearly sales figures were over $405 billion.

That is a lot of love.

The thing is around the late 70's early 80's there was a slogan to "Buy American".  That didn't happen as you probably already know.

Whether anyone likes Walmart or not, many people support Walmart and there is not one other single company that even comes close.  I believe they have more sales than the combined 2nd 3rd and 4th retailers combined.

Whether it is Walmart or buying from other countries people buy based on price.  It is the way it is and Walmart will grow and people will support it. People will also complain heavily when they leave.

I am not saying this to be sarcastic but people buy on price.

I hear that, makes great sense. I hope people see the truth sooner than later because saving a few bucks may cost us our retail future.

4. Randy Godwin profile image60
    Randy Godwinposted 13 years ago

I abhor WalMart!

Lol! love the snake!

5. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

the only thing I do at Walmart is get my oil changed. they do a thorough job at a decent price. But I don't shop there. I can't stand walking through the store, it's depressing.

I think their customer service is embarrassing and some of the customers are just very rude human beings who look like aliens.

I shop at local places where I've shopped for years. The prices are generally competitive and the customer service is friendly.

1. canadawest99 profile image61
      canadawest99posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Everytime you shop at walmart, you put a local mom and pop business at risk and hurt the overall economy since walmart brings in low cost products from china and the like and then you force your own wage down as well.  If everybody shopped local, then you would have a self supporting economy.   Shopping walmart is a race to the lowest common denominator.

2. Jeremey profile image59

Good to hear!

6. Bill Manning profile image68
    Bill Manningposted 13 years ago

I have not set foot in a Wal-Mart for years. I find the people that both work there and shop there are,,,, not to my taste.

Same goes for fast food joints, have not seen the inside of one for years, unless you count Dunkin Doughnuts.

I shop at Target and online, plus the malls. smile

There's probably very few who can resist Dunkin'! At least until they get to WalMart status anyways!

7. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

Like them or hate them, if WalMart went under, the economy would take another huge hit. In addition to WalMart's own employees, each and every manufacturer that sells to them has entire teams, and sometimes entire departments or subsidiaries, dedicated to servicing the WalMart account. That's thousands and thousands of manufacturers that would not only be laying people off, but they would take a big hit to their bottom line. When they're in trouble, prices go up.

I'm not saying I believe in "big box" stores, but the fact is that we let them into our marketplace and now we have to live with them.

That is partially true, more so years ago, Walmart now gets over 70% of the products it sells from China who is on the verge of surpassing us as 'Superpower" and their currency is near to overtaking ours as world's standard currency. WalMart is trouble for the globe not just America.

8. Mighty Mom profile image77

Here is my pathetic Walmart story.
    A few years ago I went on my first (and probably last) cruise, to Mexico.
    When the shipped pulled into the dock at Puerta Vallerta, there was a giant Walmart right across the street.
    A HUGE number of the passengers headed straight for the Walmart.
    I mean, for goodness' sake. You're on a cruise. Your wants and needs are well taken care of.
    You are visiting a foreign country where there is plenty see and do.
    And you go sightseeing at WALMART? Sad. Very, very sad.

Sad indeed! Sounds like 'brainwashing' of sorts to me!

9. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 13 years ago

One promising aspect of Walmart, if their consumers allow, is that in the documentary Food Inc.  the people who buy products for Walmart, promised that if you would write to them asking them to buy American and purchase from local growers they would do it.

It was their promise.  There is a thing called "consumer voting", so aside from all the stigma over the Walmart controversies, it really is up to the shoppers to make it work in favor of American interest.

This means you will have to write to your local walmart or whomever is in charge of buying the products for their stores and request that they do so and you have to buy those things.

Until the consumer can be more aware of what they are buying and make it known what is important to them concerning our country and the quality of goods we purchase, mom and pop will continue to go out of business and they will keep purchasing from foreign countries otherwise they will go out of business too.

The only problem with that is because of WalMart's size and buying power they would then manipulate the agricultural economy and food prices,etc as they've been able to do with the retail sector!

The consumer needs to spread the wealth for a true free market  to function properly and for capitalism to work without  'corporatism'.

10. Mighty Mom profile image77

Great idea, Sandra.
    One minor problem. I don't think Walmart customers can write.

That's funny sh*t!

11. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

I go there not to shop, but to 'be seen'.

Call me superficial

No need you've done afine job already! lol.

12. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

WalMart's like television - everybody talks about how they hate it and have no use for it; but sooner or later, a whole lot of people find themselves using it, at least occasionally.   smile

I used to for sure until i read Walmart, The High Cost of Low Prices, then it just seemed morally wrong altogether.

13. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Well I came to the USA for Walmart ,because New Zealand wouldnt let them in there  lol just kidding...though its true ,as I type they are still not there . K-Mart is though . I suspect marketing ploys being what they, have something to do with that!

From an moral point perspective ,I do see other points of view, ie buying non-American products etc, but that would also apply to several other chains as well ( All Of which I am guilty of frequenting and enjoying smile )

It is the same in other countries too, they (companies) promote the "Buy 'insert country of origin' made" theme, but the reality is ,money talks, and if youre a family of 4 on a limited income, we all know what that dollar will be saying. Buy me Im cheaper.

Also ,is it true Walmart no longer offers Layaway?
    I noticed a cause advertising on Facebook to bring Layaway back to Walmart, just wondered smile

The thing is is that Walmart is only 'cheaper on' the items they have rollback ad's on and most other stores also offer a 'find it cheaper we'll match it' type of deal. The majority of products WalMart sells are foriegn made now and similar products can be found at Dollar General or "the 99cent store and so on.

Not sure about the layaway thing, they offered it the last time I was there!

14. jokeapptv profile image61
    jokeapptvposted 13 years ago

i like them. clean stores ,nice people in my town.

I'm sorry!

Glad the people are nice though!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)