What's your first reaction when you hear MLM, or Network Marketing?

Jump to Last Post 1-27 of 27 discussions (91 posts)
  1. aka-dj profile image67
    aka-djposted 12 years ago

So many people have had a bad experience either with an MLM company or a marketer that just got under your skin.

Perhaps you are one who has had NO experience with either.

Maybe you have had a wonderful experience!
    Please share your FIRST reaction when you are approached.

I'm not looking for actual active marketers responses here (please big_smile). TY
    Dj

1. profile image0
      Baileybearposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Amway

aka-djposted 12 years agoin reply to this

More information please. big_smile
        Is your first thought "it must be Amway", but is that a negative, or not? Are you immediately turned off, open mind...what?

1. profile image0

doesn't exactly appeal.  I got sucked into doing it for a while - I had to buy all their motivational stuff etc & ended up spending more money than I made

2. dutchman1951 profile image60
      dutchman1951posted 12 years agoin reply to this

first reaaction is, another amway rip off and wanna be.

3. Ben Evans profile image64
      Ben Evansposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Run away.

The unfortunate part about MLM is not that they arent legitmate businesses but that one person can not make it by themselves without a network.

Other sales gigs and businesses allow a person to make money based on their own sales.

MLM requires a person to have an absurd amount of downline......So much so that it is incredibly hard for anyone to make a decent living.

The amount of people that are required in the downline forces many people into going beyond their friends and family to prospect.  This is where I have an issue.

A typical scenario is this:

I am in a bookstore reading a financial magazine some one comes behind me and stares over my shoulder and says....."Wow nice car!  Wouldn't you like to have that?"  They go on........."My name is so and so and I run distributerships up and down the West Coast.  You look like someone I might be able to use."  I take offense to this.  I even say, "This is Amway.  Isn't it?"  They say, "No this is World Wide Dream Builder (aka Amway).

I have been approached about 20 times this way.  It is offensive.  People are taught to prospect this way and all I want is peace.  I would have less issue if someone where to sell something than waste my time with lie.

4. kschang profile image87
      kschangposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I cover scams pretending to be MLMs (specifically a scam that claims to give cheap travel, but doesn't require you to sell anything).

After extensive study of the industry (peripheral to the scam), I found MLM to be an extremely DANGEROUS form of business, always in the slippery slope of turning into a scam.

Think about it:

what sort of business would encourage you to liquidate your own market (i.e. recruit the people who buy your products, turning them into your competitors)?

what sort of business would not tell you how much you actually have to spent marketing the stuff, leaving it all up to you? (it's called "multi-level marketing" because the company doesn't pay for marketing, YOU do!)

and so on and so forth.

Even a legitimate opportunity can be turned into a scam / cult if the leader choose to run it that way. I found a lot of so-called "motivation" material by various "coaches" and such to be utterly cult-speak, with titles like "How to Avoid Negativity".

Thus, I would NOT recommend MLM to ANYBODY without EXTENSIVE training so they know the TRUTH about the situation instead of whatever their sponsor choose to tell them (which are often exaggerated or are outright lies).

1. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image34
        DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 12 years agoin reply to this

MLM can be a dream come true if it is done correctly, and a nightmare when not. seemingly in the big "balance of life" the few good ones are counterbalanced by the host of rats. MLM is simply an alternative distribution system to deliver products/services-nothing more or less. the bad apples who spoil the bunch is only temporary-they do not stick around using falsifying tactics to "recruit". you are all correct about all the baggage that comes with many companies, and alleged companies.

Jim Rohn said so well: Set a goal to become a millionaire, not for the money itself, but for the person it will make of you in order to achieve it...

1. kschang profile image87

The problem is it seems 99% of the MLMs out there are a financial BAD DEAL for participants.

I believe it's Dr. Fitzpatrick (Robert Fitzpatrick, that is) and Dr. Jon (?) Taylor who did a study, and found that 99% of participants in a MLM LOST money, and this is LEGITIMATE MLMs such as Amway and so on.

Not exactly a good way to make a living, despite all the success stories... Unless you're out selling a dream, not a business.

2. njames306 profile image60
          njames306posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Classic statement by the "Man" himself. Whenever I'm feeling a little deflated, I pop in my set of Jim's CD's, and become immediately uplifted.
          What a top guy.

5. profile image0
      mayagracieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

MLM is a lot of work.  Yes, many people have been unsuccessful.  Its important to have a good marketing plan and strategy, and learn about attraction marketing.  Using twitter, and facebook could help a person to find leads.  MLM takes work, and success does not happen overnight.

1. njames306 profile image60

Hi Mayagracie,
        Yes your statement is very true. And I very much like Jim Rohns ethos about "Set a goal to become a millionaire, not for the money, but for what it will make of you to achieve it". Nothing in life comes without some effort, so if your going to work hard at something, why not work hard working towards something that can give you financial freedom for you and your family, for years to come?

1. profile image0
          mayagracieposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jim, Thank you for responding.  Its all about "mastering your inner game" Quoted by a wonderful woman named Fontella Williams.. Thanks again, meri torres

6. adamsbell profile image55
      adamsbellposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Hi,
      When I heard about MLM at that time I was exited and made lot of research on internet about MLM and took ideas from my friends about MLM.
      MLM is a good thing by which you will get money in short period of time.

2. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 12 years ago

I was a member of Amway for a short while (wrote a hub on it.)

In my opinion it can make you rich - if you're the type of person who would've eventually made money or got somewhere in the business world. In that case it might be a head start.

However I think if you're just the average joe blow who wants to get rich, it'll never happen.

Thanks.
      But, what's your first thought if/when you are approached now?

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I can find easier ways to make money and still keep my friends.

Sadly, for a lot of people it ends up being one or the other.

I thought the two can coexist quite nicely. (if done right, of course)!

1. WryLilt profile image88
            WryLiltposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Since many people are sceptical of MLMs it can be an uphill battle - and almost impossible unless you're a real people person.

Amway themselves say that out of 100 people who view the program, only 2-5 will sign up. And how many people have that many friends?

1. profile image0

i"m not a people person

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'd say, "in my opinion it can make you rich - if you have no conscience about using high pressure sales tactics on your friends and family".   

That's my biggest problem with MLM schemes - they encourage you to treat your nearest and dearest as customers.  That's  fine if you love the products and simply recommend them, but I've seen too many MLM'ers emotionally blackmail their friends into buying.  It can destroy friendships!

Even worse is when they put friends or family up as potential new recruits, because the recruiters can be really high pressure.

Mind you, the recruitment interview worth a few laughs, when they're trying to recruit someone like me.  Their pitch is to ask you what your dream would be.  They expect you to say a new car, nice holiday, bigger house etc.   

They found it unbelievable that I wouldn't be prepared to spend my evenings and weekends flogging products, even if it meant making a fortune.  For me, work/life balance is more important than money so the pitch just didn't work, and it was quite comical to see their faces!

1. profile image0

apparently their tactics are cult-like.  Even their conventions are hyped up like pentecostal christianity

3. Ivorwen profile image66
    Ivorwenposted 12 years ago

I think they are great for people who are natural sellers or those who live in large areas.  Around here, there are not enough people to really make a go of it.  For me, I will only sign up if I want to get some stuff at wholesale prices, and I let the person know that up front.

So your first reaction is not negative, basically.

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

I spent 10 years in MLM and I found it could be a valuable resource, depending on how it is used. Approximately 97% of the people who enter MLM make nothing and lose even more.

My first reaction is to investigate the company from all different aspects, so as to prevent being scammed.

I like that. Thanks. smile

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. smile

5. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image82
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 12 years ago

I like opportunities - but as soon as someone gets pushy with me, I'm out of there.

I used to sale commercial trucks and trailers, new cars, used cars, relocation and storage jobs, at&t uverse, electricity - and more.  I think I am like any other potential customer, I HATE PUSHY SALESMEN!

Don't we all! smile

6. aka-dj profile image67

Fair comment.
    It certainly is a people business.
    I think it should not be about sales, although that's where the money comes from.
    I recon it should be about the (true) benefit of the product. Then there's no need for pressure sales, or blackmail etc.

I think you have absolutely nailed it with this point. If the product speaks for itself, it doesn't need any hard sell at all, and if the product is that good, why wouldn't your friends and family want to know about it. I am making money with such a company and I don't have a downline, just fabulous products, that very much work.

Those types of products are just what MLM is all about.
        Good luck with your business!

Many thanks, good luck with your venture too.

7. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 12 years ago

My first reaction is generally something akin to "Get thee behind me, Satan!" lol

8. wheelinallover profile image75
    wheelinalloverposted 12 years ago

My first reaction to MLM's is what is it going to cost me. The second is won't work for me because I can't get into 90% of the houses in the town I live in. Although I do have friends who would try to sell the Brooklyn bridge its not in me to try. Telling instead of selling is more my style.

9. aka-dj profile image67

How much of your negative responses are fear based, misunderstanding (ie jumping to the wrong conclusion) or on actual experience(s)?

10. jponiato profile image87
    jponiatoposted 12 years ago

I've tried a lot in my time, including Amway, but also pre-paid legal, alarm systems, and radiant barriers, just to name a few.  I always got excited when all the potential earnings were laid out in bubbles or trees or whatever, but it turns out I just don't have the personality to work that kind of business.

Now whenever I'm approached, I try to be polite, but I say "Thanks, but no thanks."

Is that "no thanx" even before you know anything about it ( whatever "it" is)?
      Or, is it after you learn what it is? ( assuming you already knew it was some form of MLM)
      I'm sort of assuming you are saying no to any further opportunities, (outright). Or do I get that wrong, and you just might consider it (for whatever reason)?

1. jponiato profile image87
        jponiatoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You read me right.  I understand MLM, I even approve of it, I just know I'd rather write, program computers, or ride horses than try to work that business.  You can't quite say I don't know anything about it, if it's MLM.  I've been there, done that.  It could be a new product or service (like the energy brokerages that are going around) or something totally different, but I'll bet that the underlying sales model is pretty similar.  Am I being prejudicial?  I suppose.  But you asked, and I'm answering honestly.

You're right, I did ask.
          I appreciate you elaborating.
          MLM is a people to people business, so, if you're more hands on, and not so much people oriented, it would be hard.

11. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

My reaction is that I would not know exactly what ether thing was, but they don't sound like fun.  Maybe you can't understand this but anything that sound a bit like 'I want to sell you something' is a turn off these days when marketers and advertisers are everywhere we look.  Who sees a marketing or selling person coming and thinks 'gee, great I am sure they have something that will make my life easier'?  I know I don't.

"I know I don't."

What if they DID?
      What if there was something they were offering DID have profound benefits?
      By you refusal to listen, you could be depriving yourself of them. You may never know it, because you didn't take time to listen.
      I, too don't like being "sold to", but, in saying that, I am open to listen, because I have NO PROBLEM, saying "No, thanks. I appreciate the thought, but that's not for me". In fact, I have done that a number of times.
      Thanks for your comments. smile

12. SomewayOuttaHere profile image60
    SomewayOuttaHereposted 12 years ago

...first reaction to MLM?...the letters hit close to home...nothing to do with network marketing...

What would that be?
      Make Life Miserable? lol

13. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image34
    DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 12 years ago

Many Losing Money was often my first reaction. like cagsil said, check out the company thouroughly first. most make emotional decisions, not well thought out researched business decisions though. I swore off MLM 15 years ago, and have since been humbled as i found a product and company that changed my life and health.

having a home-based business for most is SMART if nothing for the tax benefits-with a sharp pencil and maybe a good accountant, you cannot lose anything if you own your home currently. most are not cut out to think like a business owner. our society still programs you to go to school and "work for the man" (or woman).

no matter what business you all are in, you ALL are in the people business-when you run out of people, you run out of business.

even sales people do not like to sell. most take it personally and view a "no" as a failure. that is the difficulty in networkiing. if you all asked you friends and family for a referral instead of getting into business with you, you may find more results-you may state you do not want them to come into business with you,  just refer someone who is ambitious or business minded.

it is tough to make it. if it was easy, everyone would do it. working for 50 years making 50K and having not even a house paid off to me is much harder. it is relative to the individual. smile

14. talfonso profile image84
    talfonsoposted 12 years ago

The first reaction came when Muetti joined an MLM.

I became skeptical of how she got into it, and the company in question is 5LINX. I did my little research on the company, going beyond the facts of its Inc. 500 status and fluff. There's a quote from a entrepreneur website about the MLM company and how it is a scam:

...the 5Linx organization is nothing more than an advanced pyramid scheme and has no substance whatsoever making you work long hours with minimal rewards but also creates the idea of success through an illusion that may fall victim to.

Even though 5LINX is a reputable company that sells products that people use every single day (a lot of MLM's sell vitamins, healthy chocolates, etc.), those people believe that it's still a Ponzi. They have those accusations in mind because of the lack of marketing skills. Even though it's a reliable MLM that sells products that are not gimmicks like acai supplements and stuff, people need to learn how to market efficiently to succeed.

Muetti is learning every day to market more efficiently and be proficient in doing her business, and she has been working for that for nearly a year. She is an executive director, and being close to a national director. Her goal in mind is to reach for at least a senior vice president, but to get there effectively, she has to brand herself more and commit to it more, among other things.

Conclusion: don't assume all MLM's are pyramid schemes. Do your homework and learn how to market efficiently, preferably before joining one. That's my 2 cents.

The problem with that assumption is it is MUCH SAFER to assume MLMs ARE pyramid schemes, unless proven otherwise.

In fact, most legitimate MLMs can be ran as a pyramid scheme, if it emphasize recruiting and autoship (which basically is recruiting disguised as sales). It will claim to be legitimate under current rules, but it RUNS like a pyramid scheme.

A certain coffee MLM (yes, there is such a thing) asks you to make money by recruiting one person every month, and makes sure THAT person also recruits one every month (and so on).

Given that want want to autoship you coffee that's WORSE than Starbucks stuff, at twice the price, it sounds like a disaster in the making.

15. aka-dj profile image67

The confusion is often made, equating MLM with pyramid.

Most people working for a large company are actually in a pyramid scheme.
    They just don't look at it that way.

1. talfonso profile image84
      talfonsoposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Right - that's why doing your own homework is vitally important when looking for an MLM.

16. melbel profile image94
    melbelposted 12 years ago

The first word that comes to mind is "scam." I think anyone who is able to successfully market a product for an MLM company could have made more money marketing a product from a more legitimate company.

MLM companies aren't real businesses, in my opinion. Their first order of business is to get less education people involved in marketing the products so the MLM doesn't have to. Why less educated people? Because anyone with two bits rolling around in their head will realize that:

A: They will never make money selling the MLM's product
    B: Even if it DOES pan out, the energy and time spent to get it to pan out could have been used on something more profitable.

Interesting bit about a particular MLM company. My mother got involved with one of those companies (a LOT of people claim it's a legit company but I just think they are dirty, dirty people.) My mom ended up getting scamming... having to pay a monthly warehouse fee and make regular product orders of a certain amount in order to be a part of this company. Upon attempting to cancel, they made her jump through hoops -- a several month-long process (all the while having to pay the company as she was bound by a legal contract she never even saw.)

I wrote a professional hub about this particular MLM company and received cease & desist letters for defaming them. I'll eventually get the hub back up when I have an attorney look it over and make sure I'm in my legal right to write what I did. Until then I have the C&D framed in my office.

17. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 12 years ago

Sometimes even your homework is not going to help. You can join a complete legitimate company, that simply in your area, by your upline is operated like a "scam machine". Or is simply not working in your community, town, country. And nobody is going to tell you that until you get involved, waste your money, time, get frustrated, what not. I understand when people just hate MLM.

18. aka-dj profile image67

Interesting experiences.

Not unexpected attitudes, either.
    I see that the words MLM/network marketing, scam and pyramid are interchangeable in a lot of peoples minds.

I think that is so sad, because they cane (easily) "throw the baby out with the bath water", as they say.

Does mlm/network marketing ALWAYS = scam?

Of course not.
    But people are too lazy, upset, fearful (whatever) to look at things objectively and judge fairly.

This is, in MHO the number one reason why the market will NEVER be saturated. One favorite argument of the ant-mlm'rs.
    There is indeed room at the top, because the bottom is saturated.

nice-in over 31 years of networking i have not heard that one yet-good one! i remember shaklee in the 60's and early 70's as my best friends parents were involved-they never used shady tactics-they loved the products. it wasn't until amway used it's bait-n-switch type responses that caused us to mistrust. in the beginning, most of the network companies were completely legitimate too, and many still in business. the industry represents 110 billion in annual sales and over 60 million distributors. i would think most now would be smart enough to at least do business with a company that is a minimum of 10 years old. in the end, no one should be able to be "scammed" either, as all business losses are deductible (ask your professional for specifics) and often reaches much greater in benefits than the amount put in, so anyone who cries is simply seeing a two sided event with a one-sided viewpoint that is not true. btw, it is NOT easy to make money in your own business, or you would have by now. jim rohn says it best: Set a goal to become a millionaire, not for the money itself, but for the person it will make of you in order to achieve it...

2. kschang profile image87

In China, all MLMs are considered to be scams.

Officially, Amway in China is on a direct-sales model (from what I can tell). There are no "levels", at least officially. All direct sales companies have to register with the government and get a special "direct sales permit".

3. kschang profile image87

Just the other day, I ran into a person who claimed "there is no market saturation, because some people die, and others are born, so there are always new people to market to".

I'm like, WTF?!  Since you can't market to dead people, this person clearly wants to market to babies.

You're kidding, right?

Surely you are not serious!! hmm

Nope, was NOT kidding. Someone actually posted the following comment on another blog:

"In theory, any MLM model would eventually fail because you would run out of people. In reality, that’s not the case. Old people die and new people are born. So, practically speaking, legit MLM will continue to be sustainable model as long as humanity is still around."

Don't believe me? See for yourself:
          http://behindmlm.com/companies/pyxism/p … ment-32942

That quote I don't have a problem with.

What I was commenting on is;

"I'm like, WTF?!  Since you can't market to dead people, this person clearly wants to market to babies."

That's the ridiculous statement, not the quote!

But that's what the quote meant, right? smile  (some hyperbole involved)

I'm baffled by your comprehension.

No-one in their right mind would claim to "market to babies and dead people".
                I don't care how stupid of a network marketer one is, they would not claim that!

The original quote merely presupposes that there are always new people born that become new potential networkers.

I have people in my business that were not even alive when I was doing this (albeit in another company).

The market will NEVER become saturated. It may become resistant to MLM, or a particular company.
                No one company ever expects every person on the planet to be signed up with it. As much as they desire it to be so,
                It will never happen!

But aren't you just splitting hair here? Market saturation means market was adequately covered by sales people. Whether there are too many reps or too few prospects, the result is still the same: no more sales. Whether you call it market resistance or market saturation, it amounts to the same thing.

Not if the product is consumable.
                    There will always be repat sales, despite "saturation".

4. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 12 years agoin reply to this

True, but we all have such busy lives these days, and it's so easy to find the products we need elsewhere, why waste time on something that has a good chance of being a scam?  As a consumer, I don't see that as laziness, I see it as an efficient use of my time. 

I also think consumers' behaviour has changed, certainly in Australia and the UK.  These days we're all more independent when it comes to shopping.  If a shop assistant approaches me in a store, I'm more likely to brush them off than accept her help - I'll speak to her if I have a question, but I don't want her pushing products at me, I want the time to select things on my own.  I think most younger generations feel that way - they're used to self-managed purchases online and in stores, they don't see the value of a sales rep.

For those thinking of starting a business, I agree the situation is slightly different.  You owe it to yourself to thoroughly research the opportunities available. 

However many MLM schemes don't make it easy to do the research.  They won't send you any material, they insist you sit down with recruiters.  But then their recruiting presentations are big on glossy images and low on facts.  I've sat through a couple of those. Both times, the presenters got defensive and borderline rude when I asked for some hard facts, and told me I had to sign up before they would tell me anything.  I can understand someone throwing in the towel and giving up on MLM schemes altogether after repeated experiences like that.

That's all true.
        However, if the product is patented, and unique, (such as the one I sent information to you about). you cannot just go out and buy it anywhere.

In this specific case, there is a level of "education" about the product that is required, which is not always easy to research.

I for one don't "hard sell". If the benefits of the product are not what you want, it ends there.
        I think that hearing me out is part of due diligence. Hey, just say, "thanks, but this is not for me".
        I'd rather that than you jumping to conclusions, BEFORE you have the information.

Besides all that, if I have to twist your arm to get in, I may have to keep twisting to KEEP you in.
        Quite frankly, I couldn't be bothered. I've got enough to do, without that to boot.

Alternatively, if you just want to be a consumer, again, I don't have to "keep" you.The products benefits should be enough.

BTW, I will be in Sydney in a couple of weeks, and I'd love to meet up over a cup of coffee, (my shout).
        No pressure. Slap me if I apply any! big_smile (If you decide to take up my offer). smile

2. profile image0
        EmpressFelicityposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Being given the brush-off in that fashion (i.e. being told you have to join a scheme before they'll give you any hard figures) is a HUGE red flag. As are emotional blackmail and psychological manipulation techniques, some of which I've seen being used on this thread: "you're only expressing scepticism about MLM because you're afraid of success blah blah blah..."

It basically is a "dare". "I dare you to prove me wrong."

I thought we outgrew "dare" in kindergarten. big_smile

Another technique they use is "avoiding negativity". Actually wrote a hub on this:
          <link snipped>

19. mepperly profile image60
    mepperlyposted 12 years ago

I think, I have joined several in the past and I am not good at recruiting or selling stuff just for the sake of getting more money. For instance I am a Pampered Chef Consultant and it is hard for me to push several of the products because I know I can go got IKEA or even Fred Meyer and get similar items for far less.

when you are a part of a business you believe with 100% conviction things will start to change for yourself. 1% doubt does NOT equal 99% faith. when you decide you are worth more, you will change your whole approach from both recruting and selling. after 17 years of serious work and no real success to speak of, something finally changed. me. i became the millionaire inside first, and the money followed. without one shred of arrogance, i simply asked people "why should i work with you"? instead of please come into my business and begging because it makes so much sense. my question was straight up, convince me my valuable time is going to produce healthy results. i was "sorting", not selling. this is the illusive quantum change most will not make as all of us have past "baggage" we simply must get past and leave it there. you are all extremely valuable and unique, it is up to you to take the value and uniqueness forward with confidence and literally forget the past, except to teach you/us what roads you do not wish to go down anymore.

2. aka-dj profile image67

If I could get any product sold by MLM in a retail outlet for cheaper, I wouldn't even bother joining!!

To me, the product (must) be unique, and consumable. Otherwise there are no ongoing sales, or there is competition (in the area of price, at least).

As far as selling etc, I don't like that idea myself. Especially to friends and rellies!

1. earnestshub profile image81
        earnestshubposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you on this DJ. I think overpriced, over hyped and making their family cringe when they see them coming. smile

It makes me cringe at the thought of selling to them!

3. kschang profile image87

Maybe, maybe not. In this case it's salesmanship that will carry the day.

I mean, you could go to Sur La Table, or William Sonoma, and pay premium prices for cookware, or you can go to IKEA and other places, and pay a bit less, but is it really the SAME THING? The idea is to market the differences. That's how Apple, and Caddilac, and MBenz, and BMW and so on are successful when they encounter cheaper competitors (that, and some lawsuits)

20. RebuildingJobs profile image60
    RebuildingJobsposted 12 years ago

I agree with DrMikeFitzgerald. The masses spend an entire life time working at a job, thinking they will get promoted and earn 3% raises and be set for life. What most are set for is a set up for disaster and unfulfilled promises. The state of jobs in the U.S. discourage people from helping others and becoming their own financially independent person that MLM can help a person achieve. When you find a great company with a great product and great pay outs, you should jump on the chance. You'll have more of a chance achieving your financial and personal goals with MLM than you will working a standard job 40 hrs a week. If you are interested in knowing what that great product is and that great MLM (which is called Network Marketing) and great payouts, ....

1. RebuildingJobs profile image60
      RebuildingJobsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Correction: DrMikeFitzpatrick, I mean instead of Fitzgerald.

no worries, i answer to almost anything! my friends call me "fitz". smile besides, when you press the more button at the bottom of a post entry in the first ten minutes, you can edit the post, (i learned this the hard way too)

what is so crazy about what you said? working 40-50 years and having nothing is hard, not what i did. (at least to me by comparison) we struggle and succceed, we struggle and fail, either way, there is always a struggle. i know in my heart, if you do not quit, you are not failing either, you are that much closer to your succes in business.

21. DrMikeFitzpatrick profile image34
    DrMikeFitzpatrickposted 12 years ago

great hub question AKA-DJ, lots of answers all across the board. both interesting and insightful. reminds me of a physcology class experiment where we all look at one painting, and get as many persons looking unique responses back as to what the painting is about or conveys. the eyes of the beholder.

22. kschang profile image87
    kschangposted 12 years ago

The problem with that idea isgiven that only a TINY portion of population is "replaced" every year, the statement "market is infinite" only make sense if you have infinite amount of time to market to them.

Because you don't have infinite time (your own time on earth is limited), the statement is false.

I never used the term "infinite".

I am just stating the obvious. There are too many people who are not in mlm's, therefore the market will never be saturated.
      I don't get what you are trying to prove anyway.

The market may resist any further penetration, but that is not saturation, because the market is always changing.

I had no intention of being in an mlm up till last december. I was in several up until about 7 years ago. However, I was approached by someone I respected, who introduced me to what I am currently in.
      Why did I change?
      Because this on ticked all the boxes.
      See my hubs about this subject, if you like.

I was once in, then out (resistant) then back in. big_smile

23. kschang profile image87

"There are too many people who are not in MLMs" may be true, but you can't reach everybody in the world like that. What you get instead is "customers" for your products (which is much smaller number), "that you can reach yourself given your resources" (even smaller)?

You may not have said "infinite", but the person I quoted did.

1. RebuildingJobs profile image60
      RebuildingJobsposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Because you don't have the infinite time" reminds me of the movie Limitless. The character takes a pill that enhances the brain and he becomes really smart really fast. He goes from a depressed state to a confident state and is able to learn math and algorithims, the stock market, and becomes a U.S. senator all within a short period of time. Talk about catching up to time, instead of time out running a person's abiity to do all he/she wants to do.

MLM shouldn't be about selling, but should be about fun, understanding and correcting mistakes, and getting results. If you just focus on getting the money, you have gone about it the wrong way. Money shouldn't be the motivating factor, but it is the resullt. It's like with business owners. If they went into business for making money only, they'd get burnt out quickly. They go into business because they enjoy what they do. If you enjoy meeting people and helping them attain a better life personally and financially, you can do MLM. So if you have been in MLM before and have been in it for only the money, I have a story for you to read that will change your perspective on how to approach MLM.

Except the guy's brain pretty much burned out at the end of the movie, right?

"If you love your job, it ain't work" applies to MLM too, but it is rare to find such a job or opportunity  that really gives you the freedom without having it devolve into a personality cult that falls back to pyramid scheme-like recruiting drives.

24. BreatheN2Grow profile image67
    BreatheN2Growposted 12 years ago

Run as fast as you can! They all have one thing in common; profit first people second! The culture is based on profit but the products or services are nothing special and in most cases are duplicatons at a premium price. I have found if it's offered by MLM organization it's probaly not the best money can buy! I don't have to mention the stress it places on your friends and family!

Where do you run to?

Why run, in the first place?

There are very real, practical reasons why an MLM is used to launch a product.
      Not every good idea, or product has 'megabucks" to launch it to the market.

Time, however will sort out whether or not the product/company is good enough in that market.

Way too many good ideas/products have been bought out by huge conglomerates, NEVER to see the light of day.
      Had it been launched via MLM, it may have stood a chance.

Don't run, but investigate, I say.
      We should all do our due diligence.

Or, just say "NO, I don't want to change. I'm happy being & doing what I am now!"

25. kschang profile image87

I actually addressed all that in a hub I wrote last week... it's called 5 fatal flaws of MLM. One of them is "questionable profitability / marketability of the products". This magnet thing is based on pseudo-science so it's one of those quack cures.

26. maggi81 profile image61
    maggi81posted 12 years ago

MLM.. seems to bring with the distinctive smell of being scammy or having some strings attached.

Some, yes.

All, no!

Don't put them all in the same category.

27. RebuildingJobs profile image60
    RebuildingJobsposted 12 years ago

@kschang: Actually, by the end of the movie,Limitless, the main character has refined the drug and it doesn't affect him in a negative way without it, so all is well and good with him and his upbeat life. A nice little twist.

To all: Find a good network marketing company and go with it. It's no riskier than riding the tide of the 9-5 job. Think about it, how much do you spend to work your regular job? Whatever you do, you spend money, time, and energy for it. If you have persistence, in the long run, the Network Marketing will out perform any traditional job. One of the best network marketing companies is run by Donald Trump. He doesn't put his name on just any product. You're right, there are some riskier companies, just like there are some very terrible traditional jobs a person could work for too. You can't say that if one company is bad all the rest of them are bad. That's not good reasoning. Get in the best frame of mind and be an encourager. To be a network marketer no complaining allowed, just those who want to live a successful life. Enjoy your Labor Day weekend and be safe.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)