Has anyone really made money on MLM?

Jump to Last Post 1-50 of 74 discussions (117 posts)
  1. Timid Networker profile image39
    Timid Networkerposted 13 years ago

Just wondering if there are some folks out there who have made it big in the MLM world ...

1. profile image0
      DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Only person I know who tried it...lost ALOT of money.

1. profile image52
        trip2bangkokposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Deleted

1. profile image0
          Home Girlposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Major B*S*!

2. 505club profile image61
      505clubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I just started an online business group which I call   505club.info
      to address the problems with mlm.

Would be great to have some folks who know the issues first hand help
      change the industry.

Al

1. rkmintx1 profile image60
        rkmintx1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

There is a difference between MLM and affiliate marketing.  There are also other ways to make money online although not as lucrative, such as Adsense and others.

I agree with some of the other comments that in MLM, if you are not a hard closing sales person, you most likely will not make any money, and will probably end up loosing.

Affiliate marketing can be a road to financial freedom via building a passive residual income, but (again as already stated in other comments) it takes work, and a lot of it.

As for me, I like PotPieGirl's quote - If your willing to do for one year what others are not, then you can do for a lifetime what others can't.
        It's either get determined and just do it, or settle for what life has given you.

The real challenge with all the opportunities available on the internet today, is weeding through them and finding the right one.

2. brimancandy profile image77
        brimancandyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My father spent hundreds on MLM and never made a single dime in return.

Each of the companies made claims of how much money you could make when you reach various levels, and claimed that you could get there within a years time, and waved huge amounts of money in your face, and had all these great actors claiming how much money they made in their first year with the company, and my dad fell for it every time.

The truth of MLM is that only the people at the very top of the MLM ladder are making the big bucks, while the thousands of people under them are lucky to break even. This usually involves buying a starter kit, which is usually over $100.00. Once you get suckered into that, the people at the top get paid, and it is all supposed to trickle back down to you, once you get a few hundred people under you.

I always used to argue with my dad. It never occurred to him that MLM is a constantly moving chain, and only the people at the top stay at the top. The rest come and go. Some do well by recruiting lots of people, while others  recruit one or two people, and hope that those people will work hard, and they will eventually profit from their sales. The problem with that is, eveyone who enters MLM is hoping for the same thing. And, most of the huge fortune the people at the top make is from selling kits.

I think the reason Amway has been so successful, is because they actually have some decent products to sell, and the people who have been involved with them have had nothing but positive things to say about them. Where as some MLM companies are nothing but a get rich quick scheme, they come out with a product line, produce very little of it to make as many sales as they can, and then vanish once their goal is met, leaving all the people under their Pyramid with nothing.

1. experimenter profile image59
          experimenterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I beg to disagree. i joined my mlm company 5 years after it was launched and made a lot of money. More money than the person who recruited me. Most of people who fail at MLM have the wrong perspective about MLM. It takes a lot of hard work to succeed at MLM, it's just like hubbing, a lot of people write hubs but a lot don't earn a single cent, not because the system doesn't work, but they're not doing the right thing.

1. crisstar profile image73
            crisstarposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree. However, a lot of people are brought into mlm the "wrong" way. They're not given the true circumstances of what it really takes to make it in network marketing, namely, that you need to know and understand marketing...unless you plan to make a list of all your friends and family.

Network marketing companies (in general) give you rah-rah meetings, webinars, seminars that talk about how great the company is, but they don't give you the essential tools you need to make your business a success.

Don't get me wrong, personal development and motivational meetings have their place, but unless you add marketing to the mix, you'll just be another "motivated" person who's broke in mlm.

The reasons income rolls up to the top is because if you don't qualify for your comissions, it either rolls up to the next qualifying distributor and in some cases, it rolls up to the company.

Nothing too sinister in that or is there?;-)

Corrisa

1. profile image50
              sherry reidposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Corrisa you hit the bull's eye! anything you do in business requires marketing, marketing, marketing. I have learned that the hard way in MLM
              and tradional brick and mortar businesses. I have joined another company recently, and I am proud to say that the give you a training site with all the marketing tools my heart can desire. I am so impressed as I
              have lost lots of money in the past because I could'nt afford the tools
              of marketing the businesses I endeavored to grow. If I don't make $$
              in this business it will be because I a self sabatour!!

2. James Trageser profile image60
            James Trageserposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You CAN DEFINITELY MAKE MONEY WITH MLM!

I personally have a friend who is a millionaire at just under 40 years of age who was a construction worker until he got involved with some MLM Grocery Program and boy did he make some money.  He never has to work again and he drives a Bugatti and lives in a mansion with an indoor heated pool.

So not only can you make money with MLM, if you know the right people, have the resources and motivation needed, you can actually get rich from it.  So rich you don't have to work again and you're still making money!

Most are schemes though.  But there are really good ones.  Your best bet is to make sure you do some research on the company before you use them.

1. wheelinallover profile image75
              wheelinalloverposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Can you earn money with an MLM Yes, your chances of making it without putting in more hours that you would have to work for someone else for the first 3 to 5 years slim.

The most important thing to look at is can you earn a living selling the product or service without depending on people joining below you. You have to make the effort and spend long hours doing whatever it takes.

What the MLM basis is, you will get residual payments if you have your down line in place and they are earning. In the online game if your lucky you can gain a large down line quickly. Chances are though you will average a few a month. About 95 % of these won't produce.

A lot of this depends on your marketing skills and what programs you use. Training your down line is generally your responsibility. It takes time too, if you don't spend time writing emails and talking to them on the phone the chance of them producing reduces by about 99%. You also have to offer something of perceived value free or your chances of getting opt ins are reduced even more. Building a down line is a full time job, if you don't give it 40 hours a week the stream will slow down fast. This gives you about 8 hours a day to sell your product or service if you are working alone.

So yes it is possible to make money with an MLM both on and off the Internet if your willing to pay the price to reap the rewards.

2. OpinionDuck profile image59
          OpinionDuckposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would suspect that it would be the ones at the top level that started the MLM.

3. exit9to5pro profile image60
          exit9to5proposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have made very good money,  it was not easy though.  Like any business,  it takes hard work.  You have to know what you are doing.  Unfortunately over 90 percent of people who join a nwm business mess it up.  Finding a company early on can position you to make the large incomes we always hear about.  My first shot at nwm was with a company that was 4 years old.  I made upwards of $6000.00 per month,  momentum died off,  so did my income,  but I still make about $1000 per month and I have not touched the business in years.  The industry does work when it is done properly.

4. kshankin profile image61
          kshankinposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The concept of MLM seems to me like it is a good business plan, after all,  Donald Trump once said that if he wasn't going to do Real Estate, he'd be doing MLM. However, most MLM companies aren't run properly.

Every single MLM that I've looked into make the business too personal. Their RAH-RAH meetings tell you that if you do not do EXACTLY what they tell you to do then you will not succeed. At that point, I see it as being a scam or cult-like. To me, being a successful business person is about being creative and finding solutions, not doing exactly as your told or fail. That's what regular 9-5's are for.

5. WryLilt profile image88
          WryLiltposted 13 years ago

They are far and few between - and those who do make the money are those who are good salesmen to begin with.

I was a member of Amway for awhile (wrote a hub on it) but I think too many people consider MLMs a nice way to make money fast - it actually takes 3-5 years of full time work to get somewhere.

I'd rather put 3-5 years into Hubpages, personally!

1. sunforged profile image71
            sunforgedposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thats a very detailed hub, very well done.

2. Wendy Krick profile image64
            Wendy Krickposted 13 years agoin reply to this

What she said...smile

I was in MLM for a while and made money but after 3 years I closed that business down because I saw so many people investing lots of money and then being stuck with a garage full of products. I found it to be a very "cult like" environment. When I saw that many people were getting hurt, I made a decision to stop MLM. I am way happier in Affiliate marketing. I don't have to buy products in order to get paid, nor do I need to invest money in advertising. I simply make money doing what I love to do. I'm sticking with Hubpages.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
              rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My brother in law tried to get me involved with what 'appeared' to be a decent MLM business, but I was somewhat familiar with them from years ago when my husband tried one. This one markets health which is huge. I was very interested at first until I found out the investment and business practices.
              I did not like the 'cult-like' business practices and environment. This company uses 3-way calls when first recruiting clients. I didn't like it at all.  When I did ask him questions, he would tell me that a phone call would be arranged on a specific day to get my question answered that he couldn't answer! I told him to forget it, I wasn't going to get involved. The company name is max International. My brother in law did not reach the numbers they market as possible. And the products are expensive.

EDIT: I just googled max international scam..

3. darkside profile image64
            darksideposted 13 years agoin reply to this

And sadly the line they use to get people in is it only takes a few hours a week.

MLMs are big business and they make most of their money from getting people to sign up, and pay for things like training and other paraphernalia.

The system that they all use (they prefer to call it "legs" nowadays, but it's still a pyramid) is flawed. They prefer signing up recruits than actually selling the product.

4. Dwayne Tmdm Sims profile image62
            Dwayne Tmdm Simsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I would love for you to look me up and be a par of the conversation I've started. I don want to sound phony, but it doesn't take that long to be successful, and you no longer have to do the grinding that people have made network marketing to be. look me up dwayne tmdm sims and ask to join my group "the remedy".

6. wilderness profile image95
          wildernessposted 13 years ago

One of my ex-neighbors did quite well in Amway, and I met a small handful of others that did even better (6 figures and better).  Unfortunately, stats show that for every one of them there are 1000's of others that lose everything they have put into it.

1. Dwayne Tmdm Sims profile image62
            Dwayne Tmdm Simsposted 9 years agoin reply to this

it doesn't have to be that way now. ask me about "the remedy".

7. legacyunited profile image59
          legacyunitedposted 13 years ago

We work with quite a few folks that do very well in the industry. It takes hard work and dedication for 3-5 years at least, it's just a matter if you want to work hard for that amount of time or just continue to be comfortable for the rest of your life. To each is own.

1. BusinessAdvisorUK profile image62
            BusinessAdvisorUKposted 13 years ago

Perhaps not the answer you are looking for but yes some normal folk do.  I know this because i am one - i made good money in a internet MLM program called SFi, it was pretty hard to understand but once i went from a free to paid ($19.99 per month regardless of location) i started earning immediately and ended up doing quite well! 

A few things to bear in mind if you are thinking about involving yourself in any MLM.

Most programs - particularly on the internet are little more than thinly disguised pyramid schemes/scams

Having said that some big names in the UK do well as do their networkers, stuff like Kleeneze, Herbalife and others that are household names do quite well - but believe me they involve work, it's not for nothing, you have to approach it as a business and understand you are in the sales game.  So if you do not have a passion for the product and time to work it, don't join - simple

Amway and others have survived for years using this model and a percentage of people do make money. As an outsider it is easy to see that people join these things thinking its money for nothing and do not approach it as a business or even a job so never go anywhere, with no boss hounding them the failure is inevitable because it is hard work.

2. 31leader profile image61
            31leaderposted 13 years ago

I have tried a few companies.... But have learned over time that building a team is what really allows you to make a higher income.  Just as a sales consultant I made $258 a month....But as a leader I average $3500/month.

Its doable....mostly online and if you get into something in need and people want.  Internet marketing works.

3. saleheensblog profile image59
            saleheensblogposted 13 years ago

Some people in my country are making good money with MLM. Many a friend also tried to convince me to join DESTINY but I didn't like the MLM program works.

4. iMoneyOnline profile image60
            iMoneyOnlineposted 13 years ago

I'm making some money with Mandura - not 6-figures or anything, but it's slowly starting to grow.
            People get hung up on how many OTHER people fail, instead of looking at those who succeeded and emulating them. it's called NetWORK Marketing, so if you join and sit and think about the money, cars, houses, etc. but never DO anything, you WILL end up quitting.
            If you don't look at what you DO do, and constantly adjust your approach to match your personality, you WILL end up quitting.
            If you don't treat it seriously, as a business that CAN end up paying you 6-figures a year, you WILL end up quitting.
            I ask my people to dedicate 1 year to me. If you're going to quit next month when you don't make $10,000 - don't waste my or your time.
            but give it a year, try everything we can think of, and if it doesn't work for you, we can move on.
            BUT, by then you'll be educated enough to want to continue and build something. Not get rich quick, but get RICH slow.

you have the right mindset pro. If anyone here thinks that MLM is a get rich quck scheme, you'll end up getting frustrated. Getting distributors isn't an easy task, it'll take a lot of failures, rejections and effort. MLM is not for quitters.

5. eculligan profile image69
            eculliganposted 13 years ago

What is Mandura?

6. casied profile image59
            casiedposted 13 years ago

I have been in MLM for 5 years and have been very successful. The problem is unfortunately we are so accustom to having to work for someone and are not self-disciplined to own our own business...even though those are the results we desire. As many people I have come accross in the business claim to not want "pyramid schemes" but in the end they want the "get rich quick" result. I work as an Independent Consultant with Arbonne International and have given consistent parttime efforts and have been very successful. So to answere your question...if you don't quit before payday you can definitely make money in MLM.

1. profile image0
              DoorMattnomoreposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I imagine where you live maybe makes a difference. I went to an Arbonne party once, and there is no way I could EVER afford their stuff. (I wish I could) SO....nobody I know can afford it either. I thought about becoming a consultant so I could get product cheaper, but realized there was no way I could sell the stuff and the whole point is actually to recruit more sales people and I didn't see how I could do that either, no matter how disciplined I am. Where I live, there is no extra money....congrats to you tho.

7. profile image0
            Home Girlposted 13 years ago

Most products in MLM are grossly overpriced - that's my problem. I do not like to deceive people.

8. PatricksPlan profile image61
            PatricksPlanposted 13 years ago

MLM has typically had the perception that it is a bad thing and that no one makes money at it.  I know several people that have made 6 figure incomes from it but they didn't do it in just a week, a month or a year.  It took them several years to build their business.

The PROs of MLM:

Low start up cost, low risk, low learning curve (anyone can do it ) and you can make money while you sleep or after you quit the business

The CONs of MLM:

Slow to make a steady income, products are usually high quality but very expensive, potential revenue in a traditional business model is much higher

My view of MLM is that it is a sales job with a slight twist.  The kind of effort it takes to big a large MLM business could make you millions of dollars in many other businesses. Once you get high enough in an MLM (3-5years), its smooth sailing after that.  Before that....its rough.  Its low risk with no inventory (usually) so anyone can get into the business but only a few actually take it serious and produce.

9. thisisoli profile image71
            thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I made a fairly nice amount of money through mlm for a while, but it was just too unpredictable.  Now the only MLM I do is refering the occasional user to hubpages or similar.

10. Precious Pearl profile image76
            Precious Pearlposted 13 years ago

Donald Trump once was quoted as saying that the business that will bring forth the most millionaires in the future will be network marketing and home-based businesses.  Building a team takes time but with the right motiviation and support system in place an MLM can earn you a very nice income.  If you are wanting to get rich quick then this type of business isn't for you.  It takes time and sticktuitiveness! Millionaires were made working with Mary Kay and Amway but the market is saturated.  I am working a network marketing business that is growing by leaps and bounds because the market is untapped. I have two actually ... one in jewelry and one in travel both of which I love!  The thing is to find the right timing and the right industry for you ... and be passionate about it.

11. Ben Evans profile image65
            Ben Evansposted 13 years ago

The problem with MLM is the conception that everyone wants to get money for not working.  It doesn't work that way.

I had a business colleague who bought parts from me (I manufactured these for his Nikken business about 15 years ago).  He had a large house and nice car and did very well...........Until they started selling magnets for $10 online.  He lost everything it fell apart.  He spent over 10 years building his Nikken business.  He worked very very hard. 

The problem is if it takes 200 people under you to make 6 figures, then there are 199 people who will not be making money.  That is just the way it works.

There is nothing wrong with MLM basically but this leverage your time crap is too much.....In anything you do, you have to work hard and for those who think you don't well they are misinformed. 

I think in some cases people see the same with earning money on the internet but like mlm only a few can.  Others see it with owning a business.  They think that owners take vacations and play golf and don't work.... which is not true.  Owners often work twice as hard for half the pay of their employees.

The bottom line is there is no easy way to make money.  No matter what you do you have to work to earn it.  To say words like J.O.B. is like saying I will work a few years and then retire.  Well maybe one  in a two hundred but the other 199 are going to be just wishing.  And to the one who is successful, a person must work their butt off.

12. profile image0
            Home Girlposted 13 years ago

There is something else people do not realise:
            NOT EVERYBODY CAN DO IT!
            I will repeat: NOT EVERYBODY CAN DO IT!!!
            You have to be a sales person inside or have a talent to it or/and have a good training to it. You have to be stuborn, tenacious, reckless, patient like I don't know who, and be able to lie boldly because most products are nothing but HYPE if you start to insvestigate them independently, you 'll find it very soon and not worth the money you have to pay for it month after month, and charge others the same. That's where people get into debts, but they still have to get on a stage with brave faces and lie about "wonderful opportunity". May be, may be wonderful but not for you -  a penniless shmuck!
            And I am not wishing to insult anybody, because that penniless shmuck was ME.

1. Ipeoney profile image69
              Ipeoneyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

As I have said MLM is only good if you are one of the first few to join. And try your best to recruit enough people that you think can support your residual income. Usually it's only the most original members( the first ones who join) who will profit more, if they even work hard.

13. leeplatinum7 profile image57
            leeplatinum7posted 13 years ago

Everyone is already doing network marketing. Its nothing more than just recommending and promoting a product or service. Anyone can become successful in MLM. Its quite easy as a matter fact. You just need to find a couple of like-minded individuals and your well on your way. Most people quit after a couple months. Thats why they'll say its not good. But in reality, anyone can do this if they don't quit so early. I do MLM full-time and there's nothing better than being your own boss, choosing your own hours, and going on vacation whenever you feel. If you haven't tried MLM or already have but quit, find another company with a great training and leadership.

14. djsmillions profile image41
            djsmillionsposted 13 years ago

MLM is work but not hard work. It takes dedication and persistance. If you follow the plan then you can build a successful business. If you can get a first level of people then you can grow to six levels. Its all about duplicating what you have done to get the first level. You only go broke if you purchase more product than you can use. Only purchase what you can use don't give it away. If you want to give it away purchase sample packs, if they are available.

15. Dr. Stephania M-H profile image61
            Dr. Stephania M-Hposted 13 years ago

Yes, people do make money in MLM. As many have stated before, it does take time and committment.  If you treat it like a hobby, it will pay you like one.  If you treat it like a business, it will pay you like one. 

For me, my family uses the products that we market and they have made a tremendous difference in our health-related quality of life. This is why promoting the products and the business is not burdensome.  What you're promoting matters. Having team support is vital.  Your attitude will largely influence your outcome.

16. evictorino profile image41
            evictorinoposted 13 years ago

I have some friends who made money in network marketing. In fact one of the friend are making big bucks on two mlm company.

17. JR White profile image60
            JR Whiteposted 13 years ago

There are many legitimate sales and recruiting businesses that provide good sales support and motivation, but the only formula for success is consistent hard work. If you are good at it, you can make money.  The top national sales director in Mary Kay made over $1 million in the year ended June 2010, and thousands of other sales directors are successful.  Their monthly magazine publishes top earners' names and amounts. Yes, many others are not successful, but the opportunity is there in many companies for those who are willing to work at it.

1. profile image0

Okay, forget about the director. Show me, please, a company MLM -where EVERYBODY not just director gets more or less successful. I don't care how much Donald Trump is making, I am interested how much an average person can make? Mary Kay is not a good example, there are lots of complaints about it from average sales people.

2. Shadesbreath profile image78
              Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

There are so many legitimate ways to make money without ripping people off promoting end-run approaches to business that are designed to take advantage of people (and totally despite all the claims to the contrary by the folks trying to convert you and bring you into the fold).

It's a garbage business model and if you do make money, it will only be because you are the most annoying person in your neighborhood who is unashamed to take advantage of people's ignorance and optimism to such a degree that you can, through overwhelming deceit/delusion and ruthless patience, finally come across enough equally motivated and naive folks to prop you up.

If you really want to make money, and are willing to put in the effort, start a real business.  For the same amount of effort (and the same to slightly less % chance of failure), you stand to gain an ACTUAL business as your reward, one that might even create jobs, and, more importantly, be something you can sell for a profit when you are ready to retire.

1. Mark Ewbie profile image82
                Mark Ewbieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh darn it.  I'll put my twenty-five dollars away then.

2. earnestshub profile image83
                earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you on this. The only successful MLM people I know are so annoying people hide in their houses when they come around.

Despite that they do make good money while watching their down line lose their homes. smile
                Nice way to earn a living I don't think.

Better to open a business that contributes rather than one that inflates prices to accommodate multi-level commissions and rip people off.

3. Victress In All profile image71
                Victress In Allposted 13 years ago

You really have to be a good talker, outgoing, know your product well before,  have a low market saturation in the area where you plan to work, and without any significant competition present.  And, invest a lot of your time...If all this sound achievable, go for it.  I got involved with Winalite last year, but could not do it because my time priorities were set elsewhere.  Their product is quality, though, so I at least benefited some smile

4. WryLilt profile image88
                WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I'm glad I was in Amway - it made me realize that you don't need to work 8-5 for the rest of your life just to have enough to eat after you retire.

However I prefer to keep my friends and I am aware their is some bad history if you dig deep enough (and dig I did!)

But Amway inspired me to earn passive income and if I wasn't introduced to that idea I would probably not have ended up at hubpages.

Fortunately hubpages doesn't require you to do much or any work after publishing a hub. And you don't need to recruit people. Google does all the work for me!

5. KCC Big Country profile image84
                KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I gave it a whirl and had friends who did really well at it, but I wasn't one of them.  Like anything, it takes work and as someone said before me in this thread, not everyone is really cut out for it, or has the contacts to pull it off as easily as someone else might.   I gave up....but I learned a tremendous amount just from going through the process and witnessing all I did.

6. zbest profile image59
                zbestposted 13 years ago

The truth of MLM is that many do make money at it. I think the statistics are around 2%. The big pitfall is leverage that means 90 percent will spend there time and money building someone else's  business without making any significant income themselves.

Many times the benefit of what you learn from being involved, may be of greater value than the time and money spent. If you are truly a leader then your job is to operate on the basis of fair exchange. Teaching Things of value

I have come to the conclusion that any scheme that promises huge amounts of success is smoke and mirrors, and a trap for the average person. This goes for most of the "make money online" schemes also.

There are a few that make an honest attempt at providing value. Most do not.

I am not negative on MLM or affiliate marketing, but be extremely careful, and sure its something you want to do
                Also money you can afford to risk. It will be a Business and statistically even most brick and mortar businesses fail.
                Can you spell "RISK"?

7. MichelleArakaki profile image60
                MichelleArakakiposted 13 years ago

Absolutely!!! A lot of people is making a lot of money in MLM. It is the best homebased business model in the world. But it would require a right training and a commitment to do the work. It is not a get rich quick scheme.

1. profile image0

A lot of people lie about making a lot of money in MLM! It's the best way there to attract people to it, without showing that you or your system is a looser! But not everybody can do it. I personally find it disgusting.

Just like in everything, blogging, cooking, traditional business, hollywood, Not everyone can do it but it doesn't mean that the system is a "looser".

8. suprastyles profile image59
                suprastylesposted 13 years ago

I believe that there is a lot of money to be made with MLM programs.  Although it depends on the person entering the business, I myself have tried MLM and failed.  I however used that experience to build a decent adsense empire while utilizing affiliate marketing.  I myself after two years of hard work, am close to making almost 8k a month.  Which i'm sure all of use when we first start out would never imagine.  I have been lucky I guess.  I would recommend that anyone looking to introduce themselves to any type of online business to really have the drive and motivation to keep going.  You have ups and downs.  MLM was my first shot at online business and I keep trying after I failed.  Even still, I chose bad niches to enter but i still drive forward hard and it has worked out great for me.

9. pisean282311 profile image63
                pisean282311posted 13 years ago

yes ..those who conceive mlm schemes have always made money smile

10. online4income profile image76
                online4incomeposted 13 years ago

I don't think that every one who joins an MLM can make money, most of them require a lot of hard work, understanding there products etc which is not possible for everyone.

I personally don't think that it can work for me.

11. profile image50
                atlresidentialposted 13 years ago

I think once someone truly researches mlm's in general its no different than a traditional business, minus the adverising cost. You are the advertiser. Folks look around you. Many traditional businesses in the 80% to 90% fail within 2 years and many within 3 years after. You have to put effort in any business mlm or traditional for years not weeks or months, not even 1 year to create a customer base for success and longevity. MLM are no different but they do supply some things that a traditional business does not as much and thats flexibility, and time.
                It takes consistent effort to grow or accomplish anything.Is it a scam for those who worked in these traditional companies and were released. Never made adavancemens nor were able to create a future there? They spent time, effort learning, transportation, clothing perhaps yet they lost there job from cutbacks or whichever, is this misleading. Companies that are under funded, weak product, or wrong personell and I emphesize wrong personell have red flags against them. Has any one got a job and didnt like it, and gave up? What is this considered?

I have a traditional business for 24 years and have joined an mlm company for several reasons. The timing, the over funded, the product but over all the leverage that I will gain that I cannot achieve in my business now. One who is considering an mlm needs to understand it takes effort, patience, and vision just like any other business. I donkt know 1 person that has built a any business in weeks, months, or 1 year or 2 and retired for life. There might be a handfull but I havent met them how ever I have met many of successfull mlm earners and they all have many things in common. Willpower to succeed. It can be done regardles of the business model with the right elements in place and over all determination to succeed...

1. Ben Evans profile image65
                  Ben Evansposted 13 years agoin reply to this

MLM's are not like a traditional businesses.  There are two things that make them very different:

1) Products are over priced
                  2) Margins are extremely low

Now this does not mean that a person cannot be successful in a MLM but, it is hard to sell product because it is high priced.  Just look at Nikken.  It is hard to sell a wrist band for a couple of hundred dollars when they can be bought for $20 elsewhere.

No matter how anyone cuts it, the margins from the sale of the product are split with a lot of people.  In most schemes that people have presented to me, it takes 80 people to make a couple thousand a month.  In any other business model, if you have 80 sales people under you then you are making millions.

Time leverage is a myth.  It is a way of saying I don't have to work.  Nothing more needs to be said. 

If you have a product that you like and you believe, that will be good start.  If you know others that like the product also, then you will have a good start.

Now the math......If it takes 80 people to earn $2000 a month, then only 1 in 80 will be successful.  Business failure is high but no where near that high.

People are able to succeed in network marketing.  I hope you can succeed and wish you success.

2. elielarrey profile image61
                  elielarreyposted 13 years ago

Yeah, its very true what has been said here. If one does not have the right tools, right strategy, and technic, an MLM maybe just a waste of time.

But with the right amount of efforts and strategy, an MLM is your key to financial freedome.  WIth any company, all of them are generally the same - or run on very similar platforms.

3. libby101a profile image60
                  libby101aposted 13 years ago

Most people who claim to have made a lot of money at MLM are trying to get you to buy into it. Or they think they can sway you at some point! I've not met a person yet that has actually made any money! All I see are people claiming this on the internet or through flyers! LOL!!! Not solid evidence in my book!

I've been offered quite a few opportunities, looked them over, and my gut instincts told me to NOT do it! Their sites would have all these "actual people's real comments of getting rich", with pictures of them standing by new cars, yachts, and nice homes! A good way to fool the average person!

I believe the only ones getting rich are the ones who started the MLM originally! Common sense tell me that nobody else could make any real money!

What sort of business pushes only "packages" that promote the MLM program? LOL!

4. matherese profile image60
                  mathereseposted 13 years ago

Why do people view MLM as aget rich quick scheme? Do you anyone who became rich without working hard? Anyone who says negative things like they did it and it did'nt work is because they are lasy how much efforts did you actually put in it? To be succesful you need to work really hard!

It is just like starting any business the owner of the shop near my house works 14hours a day seven days a week. He opens his shop at 5.30am and closes at 7.30pm. Because he wants to be successful. Any one who joins MLM should have the same determination

1. David 470 profile image80
                    David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

True, but if the system is corrupt, work will be in vain..

I do not know much about MLM at all, but I think Adsense is better in the long run, and maybe even the short term.

Affiliate programs are much better, in my opinion.

I belonged to a website that I thought I could make good money. There was a monthly fee. I believe the only good thing I learned from it, was about article marketing. (when i found hubpages I think!?)

2. QuietLady profile image60
                    QuietLadyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I started my business about 2 months ago.  Maybe 3 by now. I made $22, but I think that is because I was buying the service.  But I will admit after 2 months I did feel as though I wanted to give up.  Especially since the winter season was on its way.  My brother who is my upline got his 30 day bonus of $500.  I was extremely jealous.  But then I found a training website that has been teaching me new ways to market and I have found more people are viewing my website with Google Adwords.  Although I know no one has offically signed up.  I can see that I'm getting more attention now, then I was when I was doing my marketing offline.

5. hubman profile image61
                  hubmanposted 13 years ago

People can and do make money in MLM. As to whether the average person will succeed is a tough question. There is a saying in MLM about the work people do... "20% of the people do 80% of the work".

This helps to explain the failure rate for most people. From my experiences a lot of people join these opportunities and then just sit back and think the cash is going to start flowing in like crazy.

The problem of course is that they are not "working" the business themselves. My advice is this...If you are going to consider doing an MLM, then do not depend on others to do the heavy lifting. Work the MLM just like it was solely your own business and treat it as a serious business. Good Luck

6. jokeapptv profile image59
                  jokeapptvposted 13 years ago

great topic thanks.

7. thisisoli profile image71
                  thisisoliposted 13 years ago

I made quite a bit in MLM for a while, but I realized after a while I was having to do an enormous amount of upkeep, people who sell a lot are few and far between, so keeping people interested was a full time job with low returns. You can make more off your own back imo.

8. profile image52
                  nickj147posted 13 years ago

A great deal of ill educated people on this site. From research I have found out that there are over 100,000 millionaires created in the last 10 years in this industry. god knows how many have earned hundreds of thousands or 10k plus.

Obviously there are a number of daft, bitter indeviduals who make a judgement without knowing the facts. I know lawyers, bankers, many sportsmen and many business people who have tried thier own field and failed. For every negative person on this site, just think of your own field of business and think if you know anyone who has failed in it.

NWM is no different. If you work you succeed if you don't work you won't succeed. I make around £20k per month in my business but more importantly I started around 30 years after they started and even more importantly i have helped around 120 people in my business earn enough to leave thier jobs, several of whom earn more than me.

best wishes to all.

9. digitalthinker profile image61
                  digitalthinkerposted 13 years ago

I was in Belize doing my National Guard training and doing this thing the Army calls Nation Bonding back in 1997. We were allowed a day off, so I ventured into Belize City and met an American with a boat who offered to take us out to the reefs. On our way out we stopped for gas, and our skipper went and struck up a conversation with some people on a yacht. When he returned we asked him who it was and he said that the skipper and his wife were care takers for some rich dude that made a ton of money in Amway or some other make a list of everybody you know companies. They would get a call from the owner who would tell them to go somewhere and wait for him. He'd arrive with his entourage and tool around for a day or so then they wouldn't see or hear from him again for a month.

10. Scott_Grigg profile image41
                  Scott_Griggposted 13 years ago

Sure, some people do make money from MLM's. But, 99% lose money from them.  I just wrote a hub on this, but sure, people do make money but it's very difficult with traditional MLM's. That's why they are so intent on recruiting new people all the time, because the dropout rate is significant.

11. Dawn Conklin profile image69
                  Dawn Conklinposted 13 years ago

Yes I have made and do make money with MLM.  It actually can be quite easy, you just have to know how to do it.  I worked online for 5 years before I really learned how to do it and now I teach all of the people that I sponsor how to do it also.  One of the biggest problems is a person's sponsor not being there for them.  If you get into MLM thinking that it is going to be the easiest money you ever made, then you do have another thing coming.  It does take work, even tho most of the MLM websites claim you will make automatic money.  They have systems that help you make more money but you do have to work to start making any kind of money.  With proper knowledge, anyone can succeed in MLM.

12. profile image52

where do you get your figures scott? 95% of people in my business make money. We also print all sales and income figures monthly. The 1 person in twenty that dousn't earn money do this because they are not willing to do anything. They generally discover this within the first two weeks, resign and get thier money back. This being the case I fail to understand how you can pick an arbitory figure of 99% losing money and not back it up with any facts? I refur the honerable gentleman to my previous quote regarding ill educated, bitter individuals.

1. profile image0

Sorry to say, but it is statistically impossible! What kind of MLM is it? Just curious. Usually 90% are left with emty pockets and bitter disappointed. It's a fact.

1. profile image52
                      nickj147posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why on earth is it statistically impossible ? Again people make daft claims with no foundation. Take a look at Kleeneze, Utility warehouse and others. The only people who don't make money are the daft gits who don't do any work. Also check out the Direct selling associations ( A government body) investigation into MLM which  states 100,000 millionaires have been created through this industry in the last 10 years, and recommends it as the easiest way for normal average people to become wealthy. I don't know if you have had a bad experience but don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Check the facts before you make ill-educated sweeping generalisations.

13. GT Bulmer profile image59
                  GT Bulmerposted 13 years ago

There is money to be made in MLM (Multi-Level Marketing), but it's the same challenge as any business, profession or endeavor in life: the ones who succeed are the ones with either a) talent b) training c) experience or d) a combination of the above.

Some number of years ago (back in the 90s, he rolls his eyes), I was with a great company and a good team of upline sponsors. For about five years, I earned an average of about $10,000 per year. That was considered WAY above average at that time. My claim to fame was simply that I was with a good team.

Today, with the Internet and with so many people involved in MLM, Network Marketing, Affiliate Marketing and other forms of home-based business and marketing, it is more challenging to be successful as a MLMer, but it is still possible if a person is focused and determined.

14. profile image52
                  zijawarriorposted 13 years ago

I have been involved with my first and only Network Marketing company for alittle over 2 years with great success. I make more income than my full time job already and several of my good friends and business partners are retired from their full time JOB's and it still in the early stages.  It's all about the timing of the company, track record of leadership/management team, product benefits and duplicatable systems in place to allow a regular person like me to be successful in this industry.  Anyone can do it but it does take some effort and drive to achieve success.  I have many people in my organization that are making incredible incomes and on their way to achieving true wealth and financial freedom. Just like Zig Ziglar said "help enough people get what they want and you will have everything you want."

15. EliteNetCash profile image59
                  EliteNetCashposted 13 years ago

This sort of question almost always generates some massive amount of interest.

I have concluded the best way to go about network marketing if you would like to make real money is to learn how to build a list first, I am sure we all have heard the money is in the list.

This can be acjieved by learning internent marketing, in the area of information marketing (digital), the beauty of this is twofold, you will make money on the front end and build your list at the same time, which will allow you to make money on the back end with your network marketing program.

Chasing after friends and relatives will only cause heart ache and frustration, furthermore, it destroys relationships. I am not saying it doesn't work by the way, for some, I know they will swear by that method, perhaps it's a question of finding what works best for you.

Either way, it takes some work, and it's also important to note that things have changed drastically in the industry. Things are happening pretty fast. It has become more like stock trading, you need to know when to get in and when to get out.

I think I am going to have to stop here.

16. TomC35 profile image59
                  TomC35posted 13 years ago

Scamway, er Amway, themselves tell you there is an over 95% fail rate.

The morons who sign up cite Amways success, but fail to see Amway's success is on their backs being broken.  They think they are part of the business, when they are in fact, the customers.

17. profile image0
                  Startup Ideasposted 13 years ago

there are definitely better, safer and simpler ways of making money from home.

18. ernestsweet profile image61
                  ernestsweetposted 13 years ago

Wow This is definately a hot topic and their are some great comments for and against MLM/Network Marketing.

But one fundamental truth cannot be denied and that is the responsibility for any success or failure must lie with the individual who made the choice to try or not.

Their is no external factor that determines the outcome of any given situation, it is all about the decision making process of the individual and how they deal with it. If people have decided to get into MLM/Network Marketing, had they completed due dilligence into the opportunity?

You see the MLM/Network Marketing Industry is all about business ownership and growing your own business. Did the people you know who failed in MLM/Network Marketing have business ownership skills or experience? Probably not. Do you think that those that have succeeded in MLM/Network Marketing have business ownership skills and experience? They would most definately have, they need them to succeed.

Most people start out not having the skills and experience, but the one's that succeed understand that they need them and educate themselves and gain the relevant knowledge required to succeed.

That is why MLM/Network Marketing is highly recommended by people like Robert Kiyosaki and Donald Trump. It is an opportunity for an average Joe like me, to focus my ability on obtaining an education on Marketing, Negotiation, Communication, Legal Procedures, Goal Setting and Planning which are essential to business ownership and success in this industry.

How many books, videos and courses did those people you know who failed study?

You see business is all about adding value and you MUST begin by adding value to yourself and educating yourself.

I promise you if you ask any millionaire or successful person how much they have spent on book, videos and courses the amount would surprise you.

Education is an ongoing process, as we live in the information/technology age, business is changing rapidly and so the need for a current education is essential to success.

Thanks for reading, I hope this helps someone.

1. WryLilt profile image88
                    WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Basically you are saying that giving someone who cannot read access to the biggest library in the world, still won't make them smart.

Exactly.

And most people can't read.

1. ernestsweet profile image61
                      ernestsweetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not exactly.

Why would the man who could not read want access to the library?

First he must learn how to read.

Same as business ownership, you must learn how to be a business owner and the skills required to succeed.

Regardless of what path someone has chosen if they want success enough they will achieve it, they will find a way.

19. profile image52

the man who does not read has no advantage over the man who CANNOT read

20. dmac250 profile image61
                  dmac250posted 13 years ago

I've seen and have started making money using The CashCrate service. Besides having to set up a blog it hasn't been a loss to me yet. In other words I'm not spending money on it at all. With that said I'm not seeing amazing income from it yet I'm not really looking to either as of yet. I have seen people who devote lots of time to it grabbing referrals and making quite a bit monthly.

I think with anything there are scam artists out there and non profitable organizations as well as lazy people who don't want to work at something and the moment things don't come easy they give up. Unfortunately in my opinion MLM brings to it a large amount of people who fall into that category. They get upset easily and give up.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
                  Necessary
                  HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
                  LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
                  Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
                  AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
                  HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
                  HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
                  Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
                  CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
                  Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
                  Features
                  Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
                  Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
                  Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
                  Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
                  Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
                  VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
                  PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
                  Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
                  MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
                  Marketing
                  Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
                  Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
                  Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
                  Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
                  Statistics
                  Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
                  ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
                  Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
                  ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)