jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Why can't we delete referral trackers?

1. 0
    Casimiroposted 4 years ago

2. melbel profile image92
    melbelposted 4 years ago

You could potentially miss out on referrals. For example, if you create one that's and put a link on some website... and then delete it within your HubPages account, then anyone who signs up with that tracker, in the future, wouldn't be credited to your account.

3. 0
    Casimiroposted 4 years ago

Sure, but what if I have a referral tracker I gave the wrong name, or I don't use, or it never brings in even views? I really don't understand why it can't be under the author's control? If I delete a referral that later brings in someone, it's my fault, my responsibility. If there is some valid reason why I shouldn't have that option, let's hear it. Right now it looks like an oversight and we're being treated as if we are children.

4. melbel profile image92
    melbelposted 4 years ago

You can always create another one.

On the other side of the issue, HubPages might hear something like, "I accidentally deleted my tracker and I can't get it back because it says someone else is using it now" and since you can make multiple trackers, there isn't a huge point to allowing users to delete them... other than having it tidy (or because you ran out... which in the years I've been on HP, I haven't had the chance to run out, but I suppose this might happen to users who are more apt to refer.)

I'm in your boat, though, I have a few trackers I don't use and I DO like tidiness, but I can understand why HP has it the way they do.

1. 0
      Casimiroposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Nope, still can't understand why they do it this way.

If I delete a tracker, it doesn't break the link, if any. It just doesn't give me, personally, credit, which is an obvious thing to the user. If I deleted the tracker then of course I don't expect referrals from that tracker. If there is a reason that it causes a problem in HP's side of things, I haven't heard that yet.

It's not just a tidiness issue in the tracker page, I get "dead"  trackers in the pull-down menu when I go to "link to this page"  That's going to be a real pain if someone has a gazillion trackers.

Oh well, I'm sure they have bigger fish to fry, but I just wonder why they only went halfway in this interface.

1. John Dove profile image81
        John Doveposted 4 years ago in reply to this

Hey Casimiro -- I agree with you 100%! If a hubber creates a hub, she can delete it! If a hubber creates a tracker, she should also be able to delete it. If a hubber makes a typo mistake in creating a hubber, she should be able to edit it -- or delete it.

I see no reason why HP won't allow deletions.

5. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 4 years ago

If you deleted a tracker and someone else then started to use that same exact word, there could be issues. 

Since trackers have to singularly unique, that's probably the reason deletions aren't possible.

1. 0
      Casimiroposted 4 years ago in reply to this

First, I know what you mean about unique referral IDs, that is odd in itself since I don't see how you could use a tracker outside your sub-domain, but maybe you can'.

I think the main issue is as melbel put it: you would have the possibility of dead links out there, but it seems you could just redirect them to a catch-all. I'm sure the HP team will get around to this issue eventually.