Panda update coming Friday or Monday

Jump to Last Post 101-112 of 112 discussions (324 posts)
  1. LisaMarie724 profile image66
    LisaMarie724posted 11 years ago

My traffic has dropped in the last few days hopefully it recovers.

1. Marcy Goodfleisch profile image83
      Marcy Goodfleischposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Mine has dropped, too.  I just noticed the 'update' time now says something about having information from two hours ago and earlier.  ???

2. ytsenoh profile image60
      ytsenohposted 11 years agoin reply to this

My traffic is back to where it was.  It was only down for two days.

2. ytsenoh profile image60
    ytsenohposted 11 years ago

I have lost 50% of my traffic and hope it returns.

3. GinnyLee profile image87
    GinnyLeeposted 11 years ago

I lost 2/3 of my traffic a week or so ago, but it bounced back within 2 days.  It is quite the roller coaster.

4. Winterfate profile image94
    Winterfateposted 11 years ago

To elaborate on what I posted a while ago: I have lost 30% of my traffic between this past Tuesday (March 19) and today (Saturday, March 23). Although, to be fair, this past Tuesday was a record-high for me in views, so I'm thinking it's closer to a 15% dip. Still the lowest point that I have been during the last 30 days. sad

But, also as mentioned a while ago, if my traffic holds, I should recover by tomorrow. yikes

5. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 11 years ago

March Madness?

Panda-Monium?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
        prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

March Madness, Spring break, Holy Week what else. Carnival Roller Coaster

big_smile

House of Horrors?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
            prettydarkhorseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Armageddon, Big Bang perhaps or Killing Me Softly :-)

6. intelpages profile image58
    intelpagesposted 11 years ago

There's a slight upward trend in visits to my site (not hubs) which results to a better amount clickthrough for my adsense. No PR changes yet though.

7. Dorsi profile image88
    Dorsiposted 11 years ago

Down about 200 views a day for the last few days...sigh....

1. Daughter Of Maat profile image95
      Daughter Of Maatposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Same here...

1. Dorsi profile image88
        Dorsiposted 11 years agoin reply to this

And I only had about 500-600 views a day as it was Marcy! Down from 5,000 a day before Panda and Penguin kicked my butt!!

8. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

Someone mentioned Spring Break as a cause. For those of us that have certain types of how-to and educational hubs (me, for example), I think this makes sense.

Was that the trend during other spring breaks?

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Good idea! I went and checked. I was quasi-doomed beginning March 15, 2012. And total-doomed beginning March 23, 2012.

2. janderson99 profile image52
      janderson99posted 11 years agoin reply to this

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/7818005_f248.jpg

1. paradigmsearch profile image59
        paradigmsearchposted 11 years agoin reply to this

All the king's horses and all the king's men...

1. janderson99 profile image52

But there are Twin Popes!

Janderson - did you get my message about the site that appears to have copied your recipe?  Check the thread here about 'Taking recipes from Hubs' - just wanted to give you a heads-up.

1. janderson99 profile image52

Yes, Thanks for that I will submit the DMCA ,
              Cheers,

9. indian cooking profile image63
    indian cookingposted 11 years ago

I did not notice any changes on my stats except the normal weekend fluctuations.

10. paradigmsearch profile image59
    paradigmsearchposted 11 years ago

My usual Sunday traffic-rise has begun! I did not expect that this particular week. Yours truly is starting to perk right up! I may even celebrate and write something. big_smile

11. Will Apse profile image88
    Will Apseposted 11 years ago

Things are back to normal for me over here.

I decided to finally put my squidoo stuff out of its misery, though. Things will probably never be back to normal over there. Random purges, page executions, nobody sure what the overlords want, the overlords not sure what they want... messy.

Time for the peasants to load up their carts and move along.

1. Barbara Kay profile image72
      Barbara Kayposted 11 years agoin reply to this

Will, I just got a page at Squidoo that said it was inadequate content and it is a long one. It was a money maker too. Then a couple that aren't making money are just fine with them. I don't get it. I'm not doing any more work over there for sure.

1. Will Apse profile image88
        Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

I'm not even giving squidoo a capital letter any more.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
          PaulGoodman67posted 11 years agoin reply to this

I have managed to save my best lenses, which is a relief, despite the falling traffic over there and the excess of official warnings. Rather than tell you specifics, such as there's a 50 words per Amazon capsule and the filters will penalize you if you don't abide, Squidoo instead gives you general advice on writing an article and lets the filters roam free (along with a 5 day deadline before a third of all your work is locked in my case!).  There's also a panicky atmosphere there at present.  It's messy, like Will says.  I think I may have survived though.

Generally I like both HP and Squidoo nowadays, although HP is definitely back in the ascendancy.  HP is a roller coaster, whereas Squidoo is consistent - consistently good, or consistently bad.  They will recover, I'm sure. 

If ever both HP and Squidoo start doing well at the same time, I will be laughing!  smile

1. Will Apse profile image88
            Will Apseposted 11 years agoin reply to this

To me the difference between Squidoo and HP is that HP has genuinely grasped the fact that quality matters. HP has also developed a system to measure quality which seems to work (despite your mTurk experiences, lol).

This was something I was doubtful about until Paul Edmondson's recent post about the correlation they are finding between quality (as they are measuring it) and traffic. Quite an achievement given the numbers involved.

They are even using the same quality measures to assess other sites (I would guess sites like eHow). A little convergence with eHow would be nice, traffic-wise.

Squidoo, on the other hand, have missed the boat on quality control and now they are scrambling for quick fixes, upsetting far too many people in the process.

Obviously, I hope Squidoo survives but I can't see them prospering until they get a lot more serious about the long term issues.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
              PaulGoodman67posted 11 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I was surprised by how decent the traffic was over there at Squidoo, given how slack they seemed to be (compared to how strict HP have become, anyway).  Now Google have hit them hard.

I don't think the problems stem so much from general users, or even the writers who are more particularly focused on earnings.  Rather, it's the spinners who open multiple accounts and create low quality pages on an industrial scale.  I am not sure how you can stop that, unless you delay the indexing of new pages whilst you vet the new material, like HP does.

Actually, Squidoo do delay indexing, come to think of it, but their vetting seems to have been less rigorous.  There is software out there for counting words and calculating keyword density, but sophisticated spinning seems difficult to detect, unless you have a human element.

It's healthy that HP and Squidoo take different approaches to the same problems, however.  It gives you choices as a writer and keeps everyone (HP, Squidoo, and Google) on their toes!  smile

Having just found copied work at Squidoo, I'm not impressed with who they let in their door. A hub of mine, and another (a recipe) by a good writer here were stolen.  And, after nosing around, I discovered the same person has an account here.  No telling how many other hubs were stolen and used in different accounts over there.

12. AMFredenburg profile image73
    AMFredenburgposted 11 years ago

The word "panda" used to have such a fuzzy, warm feeling....

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)