What kind of response do you think I'll get from team@hubpages.com

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)
  1. David R Bradley profile image82
    David R Bradleyposted 10 years ago

Feeling frustrated with all the moderation going on I fired this response on to the Team...  what do you think they'll say?

"I fixed the watermarked and pixelated pics [this is the second go around] - which one do you have a problem with now?

FYI - all of these random rule changes effect us Hubber's creativity and slows down our production -
    you're not paying us enough to justify all this editing and new standards and seeming spontaneous rule changing.

Some Hubs have been up for months and even years with no problem and all of a sudden it becomes overly promotional or some other "issue" that wasn't an "issue" at time of publishing.

It's very frustrating and stifling -  It's also highly discouraging for those of us who love to write and WANT to use Hub Pages to get our messages out.

Could you please specify in 500 words or less EXACTLY what Hub Pages determines to be a "PERFECT" Hub?  Then share that with the community so we can all get back to creating and earning?

Thanks in advance,

David Bradley
    <link removed>
    Twitter:  <link removed>

"You are GREATNESS - Don't Fight it!"
                                            -Grant Cardone"

Hopefully this form post won't get flagged as being overly promotional...  but I'm not bitter...

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Here are about 70 words from HubPages which I think say what HubPages is looking for. (With links to where you can find these quotes and read more.)

"Our community's most successful Hubs present original, useful, evergreen content." - (X)

"The key to online writing success is to write high-quality, engaging, useful, and informative content." - (X)

"....click the "report this Hub" link...on any Hub that you feel...contributes nothing new to an already heavily saturated topic...or promotes dubious products or offers..." - (X)

"The Forums are for discussion, not self-promotional link-posting." - (X)

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
        Barbara Kayposted 10 years agoin reply to this

When did they add the "report this link" for heavily saturated topics. Who knows whose hub was first? I missed this one, so I'm curious. Thanks.

1. janshares profile image92
          jansharesposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Me too (?)

2. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

One thing to remember is that until very recently, Hubs did not go through any kind of vetting process before publication.   So it's not true to say that 'Hubs have been up for months and even years with no problem".   Those Hubs had issues all along, it's just that HubPages didn't start checking them till recently.  They're steadily working through them, so you will continue to get notifications as they get through more of your Hubs. 

HubPages has made a lot of rule changes, and even though I don't agree with some of them, I wouldn't call them random.   They are all clearly laid out in the learning center.  The two you need to be most aware of are:

1.  Watermarked photos are not allowed.  That means any photo with writing on it, of any kind, even a copyright notice.

2.  the "overly promotional" warning usually means you have more than two links to a single domain - but that's an automated filter that's been around for a long time, so I assume your warning is the other meaning - which is a Hub that's been written purely to promote a product without adding any meaningful information to the topic. 

As I said, these particular rules have been around a very long time, it's just so happens that moderators had no reason to check your Hubs until now.

2. profile image0
    Beth37posted 10 years ago

I want a cool profile pic like David's where Im staring off contemplatively into the distance. I don't think I can pull off a deep pic though. sad

1. David Trujillo profile image51
      David Trujilloposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Best comment!

3. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Watermarked and pixelated hasn't been permitted for the whole time you have been on Hubpages, so I am not sure what the complaint here is.

If it is that they are flagging the pictures where you are not respecting the photographer's copyright, that is not a recent change either.  You can't just take pictures off websites and use them on your hubs.

For example the picture you take from Forbes is a Getty Image.  You have to pay to use it.

4. David Trujillo profile image51
    David Trujilloposted 10 years ago

Didn´t know about the photo watermark ban, so I´m glad I took the time to read this forum post.
    My entire hub list was un-published 2 weeks ago supposedly for buying massive traffic. I just make 30 cents a day, so really?? If I buy massive traffic for my hubs I expect to win more than $10 dollars a day.

I got really mad with team@hubpages.com and wrote to them to require them to please specify exactly what my violations on each hub were, since the only thing I got was violation notice and had no  idea how to stop this supposedly negative SEO. There was this very dedicated Hubpages moderator named mark that reviewed my hubs and pointed out all the changes I had to do, which had nothing to do with massive traffic violations. He even followed my profile!

Now my hubs are up and running and I haven´t lost any traffic at all but the income per impressions seems to have reduced substantially.

I´m not an experienced hubber yet to answer your question David. But I guess we need to seriously consider writing with all the copyright rules to make Hubpages a prevailing community over the years. I like this quality strictness, I just hate it when they penalize you and threaten to close your account out of the blue.

1. profile image0
      Beth37posted 10 years agoin reply to this

Is that like human traffic-ing or does it have another name?

1. David Trujillo profile image51

I think that´s the name.

5. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 10 years ago

Buying traffic for a content site is almost always a losing proposition.

If you are willing to by traffic, don't give away 40% or more of what you can earn from it.

1. profile image0

you misspelled "buy". Im so excited about this. lol

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 10 years agoin reply to this

They only reason I spell any words correctly is because Firefox has a spellchecker.

1. profile image0

me too.

2. David Trujillo profile image51

I didn´t. Hubpages assumed I did for some strange reason. Then a human moderator checked my hubs and decided that wasn´t the case.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)