jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (8 posts)

The Publish Button Moves

1. denise.w.anderson profile image90
    denise.w.andersonposted 2 years ago

When creating a new hub, the green "publish" hover button is on the right at the top of the page. In order to save the hub unpublished, the writer must click on the middle hover button labeled "save unpublished."

Once the hub has been saved in this way, the publish button moves. The next time the writer opens the hub to work on it, the publish button is no longer on the right, but has moved to the center. If the writer wishes to edit the hub, and still have it remain unpublished, the button on the right must be used that says "done editing."

I find this to be very confusing. I have been writing for Hub Pages for over two years, but I am still thrown off by this phenomena. I am sure that others are as well. Each time I receive an e-mail listing newly published hubs, there are several that when clicked on, are no longer available. Someone must have inadvertently selected the "publish" button, when all they wanted to do was save the hub, and had to quickly remove it.

1. Millionaire Tips profile image89
      Millionaire Tipsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Yes, thank you for pointing this out.  I always feel like I am in danger of accidentally pushing the publish button and wasn't quite sure why, but now that you have explained it, it makes perfect sense. 

I agree - put the button in a consistent place!

2. Matthew Meyer profile image78
      Matthew Meyerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

@Denise Thanks for taking the time to post.
      I have forwarded this to our leadership team to be considered for future development.

2. The Examiner-1 profile image83
    The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago

Simply read on it before you click it. I always read buttons, words, look at pictures, before I click to make sure that I do not choose the wrong one. You never know when something will be out of place - or something may be added/removed.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image95
      Phyllis Doyleposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I agree with you, Kevin. Technology has a way of programming us to habit. It is better to verify before clicking on anything rather than just automatically or blindly pushing a button. In this way we can continue to better  rely on our own mind and judgement instead of technology or habit.

1. The Examiner-1 profile image83
        The Examiner-1posted 2 years ago in reply to this

Thank you Phyllis. That is what I was trying to say. You simply said it in less words.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

That said, having it be consistent is likely to reduce error rates site wide -- so worth mentioning

4. Glenn Stok profile image96
    Glenn Stokposted 2 years ago

I'm glad you brought this up. I've always been aware of this and always have to be so careful making sure I'm clicking the right one.

It's only natural for a human being to "learn" the location of buttons and go by location in future use of it. And this invites errors, making the wrong choice, since HubPages designed it with the order of the buttons changing before and after saving a hub, as you described.

I never reported this, but now that you did, I join you in asking for this to be fixed. I am sure many others make that same mistake and unexpedtidly publish a hub prematurely.

Closed to reply