Publish, Unpublish, and Republish

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Beth100 profile image68
    Beth100posted 14 years ago

When you publish a hub, it is normally listed under hub activity and a notification is sent via email to all interested parties.  Now, when you unpublish that hub, finish re-editing and then republish it (keeping the original title intact), will it appear in the hub activity?  Also, will a new notification be sent out?

1. darkside profile image58
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Probably not.

No.

2. Beth100 profile image68

Thanks Darkside.  I tried it, and you're correct again. smile

3. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

would be nice if there was some way our fans could be alerted of a republished hub sad Maybe if a hub has been unpublished for a certain period of time, say 60 or 90 days or wahtever, then it shows in hubtivity that it is republished wink

1. darkside profile image58
      darksideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I had been wondering how that could be done, and letting a certain amount of time lapse was something I hadn't thought about.

That and say a minimum added word count. 200 words?

1. profile image0
        Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hmm...what about added/edited word count? I wonder if they could monitor how much a hub changed?

4. thranax profile image71
    thranaxposted 14 years ago

People are suppose to write the highest quality then can the first time around. You can only make a first impression once.

~thranax~

1. profile image0

there's always room for improvement, there's no such thing as perfection, you know wink

2. lakeerieartists profile image63
      lakeerieartistsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I disagree with you here thranax.  After a year and a half of writing online, I still have much to learn, but one thing I have learned is that if I go back and improve my older articles with things I have learned along the way, I get more viewers, and increasing general and specific traffic over the long haul.  Not only that, but since my article (hub or otherwise) is better, the traffic it attracts is usually more targeted.

Just because something is the best we can do right now, does not mean that it is the best we can do forever.  And it also helps grow your followers if they know that you are continually looking to update and improve your work.

Traditionally writing has always been about editing and improving, with the speed of changes on the internet that is even more important.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
        Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that's true, especially for new Hubbers.  I know that I learned an enormous amount about writing for the internet over the course of my first year here (and I'm still learning).  Most of my Hubs have gone through several edits.  I feel it would have been dreadfully annoying if a notification had gone out to my fans every time I made a change. 

Mind you, I don't unpublish when I edit - so I suppose if a notification went out ONLY if you made a conscious decision to unpublishy and republish, that would be OK.

2. PegCole17 profile image94
        PegCole17posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well said.

5. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

When I update a hub I usually announce it on Twitter and Facebook.

6. Sue Adams profile image93
    Sue Adamsposted 14 years ago

I agree. I am constantly improving my hubs and their scores then go up.
    I read recently on one of these forums about a hubber who had unpublished some of his hubs for a major overhaul and his hubberscore dropped from way in the 90's to 50 something. That really scared me.

It may be better to just edit rather than unpublish. Means you have to finish what you're doing to an acceptable standard in one session. That's perhaps why some of us work late hours when we should be asleep.

7. DesignerHandbags profile image60
    DesignerHandbagsposted 14 years ago

Hi Guys!

On the topic of published/unpublished, I recently added some amazon modules to all my hubs, however once i added them and hit finished editing, the hubs went into a sorta 2 day holding pattern where on my account page all my hub links were in BLUE, awaiting to go live again.

So little more than 2 days and the titles turned green, and all 10 were back live.

My question is, if i have to go in, say add a tweek or two, is there a way to do editing without the hub becoming unpublished for days at a time. Thanks for any info on this issue.

Jennifer wink

There can be no reason to that I can think of. If it happens again, open the Hub for editing and click the Publish Now button again - maybe it didn't take the first time.

By the way, there's no need to unpublish a Hub while you're adding Amazon capsules, just open it for editing while it's still live.

8. DesignerHandbags profile image60

Thank You Marisa,

I'm going to work on them now and try that, thanks,

Jennifer wink

Actually I've just realised, why do you think that the titles being in blue means they're not published?

9. DesignerHandbags profile image60

Actually, i made a mistake in my initial post...

When I went into the Hub and edited, then hit publish, every hub on my account page was GREEN for 3 days......

Then, they all turned BLUE and were published again and visable. But it took them 3 days to go live again, seemed an awefully long time.

The hubs all show BLUE now, i am going to try a few tweeks and see if they stay blue...

Jennifer wink

10. Beth100 profile image68

I believe that we all aim to publish our hub in the finest form when we hit the "publish" button.  However, the hub I had initially published was at the caliber it was aiming for, but it was a real emotional hub, and as soon as I hit the publish button, I realized I wasn't ready to share it with the world.  That's the truth.  So, I unpublished it as soon as I published it. It was the conclusion to a previous hub, that is why I was wondering if it would have a notification send out again. 

Under normal circumstances, I do not unpublish hubs for several reasons.  One, it affects your score.  Two, you lose any comments that have been placed and accepted.  Three, republishing may not regenerate the same traffic. 

As for editing a published hub, I agree that it should be done live.  This way, none of the above is affected and word count is automatically updated. 

I also agree with Janetta and Darkside that having a renotification sent after 60 or 90 days would be useful.  Afterall, how do we know when a reworked hub has been republished??

1. motricio profile image67
      motricioposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You got my atention on this subject, Hubpages TEAM should have a process to let our fans know if we make an update to our hubs.

2. profile image0

well...1).I don't know how much it really afeects your score just to unpublish one hub. Maybe if you unpub. several in one day...

2.) you won't lose any comments. I have unpublished, edited and republished and the comments are all still in tact.

3). it certainly won't generate much traffic from within HP b/c there is no re-notification, but if it was edited, including tags, it is likely to generate more or better traffic from outside sources.

Editing is a good idea in any form. Whether you unpublish first or leave the hub up. I believe it was Marisa that made a good point about unpublishing. If the hub isn't published, you're taking away any chance of traffic at all to that hub. Basically, one or two hits a day is better than none. I am an unpublisher. When I need/want to make substantial edits to a hub, I take it down, fix it then put it back up when I'm ready. smile

11. motricio profile image67
    motricioposted 14 years ago

Go for this forum if you'll like me to talk to Hubpage IT Team so they can notice this request.

http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/29683

12. it-solution profile image58
    it-solutionposted 9 years ago

I have three account in hubpages. But I use two hubpages account. Now will I be able to monetize my two account with adsense from same IP address?

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is off-topic for this thread. Start a new forum thread with your question.

13. Oztinato profile image75
    Oztinatoposted 9 years ago

Obviously a person writing their first one or two hubs should have a chance to re present a hub without penalty.

14. firstday profile image61
    firstdayposted 9 years ago

It is my understanding it is best to "edit" do NOT unpublished your hub.  I read this on a hub forum.  I am new here so one of the more experienced hubbers will let you know.  If I find something that needs correcting on one of my hubs and I do since I am new.  I "edit".  Now this may cost points on my score.  I really don't mind since the hub is better after I edit.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
      Phyllis Doyleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

If I am going to do some major editing on a hub, I unpublish it.  When I finish the edit process, I publish the hub. Sometimes I will share the hub by clicking on the H+, or, I will make a comment that I updated the hub -- either action will put the hub in the news feed (not in the email notifications, just the news feed).

Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Bear in mind that if you leave it unpublished for too long, then it will lose ALL its ranking in Google.  So it's OK to unpublish for a few hours but for goodness sake, don't forget it and leave it unpublished!

15. Sustainable Sue profile image94
    Sustainable Sueposted 9 years ago

I could be wrong, but my impression is that newly edited hubs are announced by HP. I'm not sure how, I just remember reading that somewhere. When I edit a hub it usually generates a few extra reads, so I assumed it was true.

No, there is no mechanism to announce edits.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 9 years agoin reply to this

Marisa:

If there were, they'd be announcing my edits 24/7 lol!

16. firstday profile image61

Marisa Wright…thanks for your response…good to know.  I finished an edit earlier today on an obvious error.

17. JoeYoung22 profile image83
    JoeYoung22posted 9 years ago

On that other site (B), there was terrible abuse of the system - even after the upgrade. Unscrupulous posters (and there are many of them) discovered that any editing of a post would see it restored to the front page, where it would garner more traffic. This manipulation saw posts that had been published for only a few seconds having hundreds of views and likes.

We are encouraged to update and improve our hubs here in HP, and I have tinkered with many of mine, but I would feel like a cheat if every minor edit saw the hub re-emerge in hub activity.

18. firstday profile image61

Joe Young22
    Hello,

Thanks for your input.  It sounds like you have been around.  I am now hitting edit trying to put in the Hub Page ad.  I copied the code on for "first day" that's me that hub pages created for the widget.

Now I am thinking I need to go back into my hubs and copy the links inside the widget they created.  Any clues on this anyone?

I am new to all this.  Thanks for your constructive helpful answers.

What HubPage ad?   What widget?  Ads are added automatically.

1. firstday profile image61
        firstdayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Marisa,

I was referring to the Hub Ad to refer folks.  Have it posted on the hub page.

That's for use on your own blog, not on a Hub.

19. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 9 years ago

Do edited hubs go back into the hopper or something? Could that account for the extra views when we update?

As for announcing them again, I think that could be abused by some and isn't a good idea.  I regularly tweak hubs with minor edits here and there and would not want my followers to become annoyed seeing the same hub republished over and over. 

I think it's fine to post to social media however that it's been updated, and perhaps once in awhile to hit the button to share with followers.  I would advise not doing that often however.

If you edit, your Hub goes back through QAP so it would make sense that it would go through the hopper as well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)