So... poetry?

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (39 posts)
  1. Amy Naylor profile image80
    Amy Naylorposted 9 years ago

I've only ever written non-fiction stuff here on HP but more and more I'm noticing that people post poetry and fiction.
    I'm into that. Is it worth me joining in? Is there a wide enough community here for it to be worth posting poetry and stuff? Or should I avoid it to keep my hubber score up and my hubs relevant for the people who follow me for what I already write?
    There's nothing wrong with branching out right?
    I might give it a go...
    Who here writes poetry?

1. Prodio profile image62
      Prodioposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I do. Many around here appreciate and enjoy poetry.

Amy Naylorposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Cool!

Who is your favorite poet (outside of hubpages)?

That's a tough question!
            I'm a big fan of Philip Larkin (I almost applied to a university solely because he used to work the library there).
            My dad got me into Wordsworth as a kid, my love for him is mostly due to nostalgia. We've walked some of the areas that he has written about.
            I also really like Sarah Kay, she's a spoken word poet I found through YouTube.
            What about you?

Wordsworth is classic. Billy Collins (among the recent ones) writes 'good' poetry.

This might interest you:

Mediocrity
              http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/81476

Interesting, thank you.

That guy threw a few of his poems on this site - those were 'terrific' (very good) poetry. I went today to his profile - and found that he has recently unpublished all of those pieces.

What a shame!

2. snakeslane profile image80
      snakeslaneposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hey Amy,
      If you click on the 'explore' button at the top of the page, go to 'hubs', click on "Books, Literature, and Writing', scroll down that menu to 'Poems and Poetry' you will see that category is followed by 13K, 13 thousand people! Not a bad audience, I say.
      And, the Books, Literature, Writing category is followed by 70K.

2. Trisha Roberts profile image60
    Trisha Robertsposted 9 years ago

I find poetry on here very enjoyable to write and to read others smile

It's nice to know there is a community for it. I think I'll do a few and see how it goes. Thanks!

3. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 9 years ago

I've posted some poetry on this site and my poetry hubs have gotten hundreds and even thousands of views.... not sure if most traffic is internal or external but it's traffic so that's good.

I would assume it would be internal traffic. But all the same, that's even nicer to have in some ways!
      I'll check your stuff out, cheers.

1. Sed-me profile image79
        Sed-meposted 9 years agoin reply to this

This is what I have found. It's a good outlet if you simply want to express yourself, possibly even to inspire a few ppl, but it is not very beneficial in any other way.
        HPs is not super supportive of poetry and ppl are not likely to google it.

4. Dean Traylor profile image93
    Dean Traylorposted 9 years ago

I write poetry and short stories; however, I tend place some sort of side-bar article with it. For poems, I may add some facts about the poetry format or about the subject. Not all of the poems get good views. One exception is a personified poem that has had over a 1000 views, so far. The short stories do ok. Not great - still I get a lot of positive feedback.

This is very helpful, thank you.
      It can't hurt to give it a go but I won't expect huge success.

5. LeslieAdrienne profile image71
    LeslieAdrienneposted 9 years ago

Write in every genre... it can only enhance your skill and your portfolio

This is true! I just need to be careful about quality control, haha. Thanks!

6. Jcpuddles profile image60
    Jcpuddlesposted 9 years ago

Something you should know before you do this is if you ever seek representation by an agent for a novel or something, this can turn SOME of them off. If you're seeking publication for a novel, I'd advise you not to post fiction but in the end, its your choice. smile

I assumed it'd only put them off if I'd posted parts of the actual novel being sent for publication but I suppose that makes sense. I wouldn't upload anything I intended to send off anyway, thank for replying.

7. Peter Flom profile image61
    Peter Flomposted 9 years ago

I have a lot of poems that were on Yahoo. I will start publishing them here if there is a market. But the guidelines on number of words and so on make it seem like poetry would not be welcome.

Can poetry get readers and money here on HubPages?

That was my concern

8. Astra Nomik profile image63
    Astra Nomikposted 9 years ago

Writing poetry is part of the pleasure of what many writers feel is the joy of writing. Don't feel discouraged by whatever you might hear. I have written poetry on Hub Pages for over 4 years now and I enjoy it immensely.

Try to also see Hub Pages as a great way to test your poetry on your audience. W ill they like your writing or not? Will you find an audience or not? The only way to know for sure is to post your poems and see.

I would suggest that if you want to concentrate on one area or type of writing, perhaps just keep one hub account for that genre nor niche area for your work. if you mix it too much, you might dilute it somewhat. Also you might want to fully explore what amount or how much of your poetry you want to post here, as opposed to say, putting poems on a blog or website.

if you are wondering can poetry earn from the hub income system(s), I can say yes, thought the income will be not as good as income from other types of writing. There are other poets who will agree, and poets also have their eye on a future book or getting published somewhere.

As writers, however we largely set our own limits or ambitions based on our abilities for the most part. We all have to start somewhere, and work our way forward.

Best of luck with your poetry hubs.

Very insightful, thank you very much. I thought about making a separate hub account but to be perfectly honest, I don't feel it's worth doing so. Switching between accounts all the time is a pain and I started off with a niche but have already diluted that anyway, so what's the harm?

9. mattforte profile image88
    mattforteposted 9 years ago

A great place for poetry?
    Wordpress.com
    Blogger.com

A terrible place for poetry?
    HubPages.

HubPages is commercial. We get payouts based on cpc, and quality content that are going to be searched for on Google increases our cpc. All of the poetry, and other useless hubs on HubPages reduce our cpc as a whole - so yes, posting poetry on this site does affect every other user on the site in a negative fashion.
    Therefore, posting poetry here is an incredibly selfish act.

10. profile image0
    Hiba Howardposted 9 years ago

I don't think there is harm in it if you want. But as the previous commenter said, there are much better places for it. Wordpress is nice. I have a poetry blog over there and you can get a good response. Better than blogger. If you are interested in having people read your poetry or be in a network with other poetry writers, I'd suggest wordpress.com handsdown. Blogger is nice in that it is more customizable, etc. But it doesnt get as much traffic, as where with wordpress, your post automatically appears in the feed of other readers if they follow one of the tags you've used to tag your poem, ie 'poetry'. If you decide to try it, send me a link and i'll follow you! smile Good luck.

Cool, what's your poetry blog? I'd like to check it out.

11. Astra Nomik profile image63
    Astra Nomikposted 9 years ago

Interesting thread here on poetry. I think in a way poetry is like life, and so is writing. You get out of it what you put into it.

There is room for more poetry. Just write good entertaining poetry and if it is good, people will read it. The more the audience feel there is poetry is here on writer's hubs, the more they'll be inclined to read that poetry.

This is true. There needs to be more poetry if there is to be any chance of it feeling at home here on HubPages.

1. rebekahELLE profile image85
        rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

There used to be more poetry on HP, but some made the decision to leave and make their own sites.  HP is not the greatest platform for poems, although it has some great poetry here.  A couple of years ago, there was a contest which included the submission of poems.  There were some amazing poems published on the site. 
        If you want to include poetry along with other hubs, that's fine.  I would make sure they include additional text or they're going to have a hard time with search engines unless you're a famous poet.  The HP creative writing community used to be very supportive.  I'm not sure about it now, as I don't publish regularly.

12. MoneThePoet profile image58
    MoneThePoetposted 9 years ago

I write poetry as well at first I was thinking poetry wasn't welcome on this site. Awesome to see more poets now I'm not feeling like fish out of water.

13. Amy Naylor profile image80
    Amy Naylorposted 9 years ago

Well I finally did it.
    I posted my first poetry hub and it's not doing amazingly well, but it's doing alright.
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone!
    http://amynaylor.hubpages.com/hub/9-Persuit-A-Poem

14. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

I recently did my first one too at http://suzanneday.hubpages.com/hub/Poem … tern-Beach and it did a lot better than I thought it would. To my amazement it even gets daily traffic wink

Awesome! Your success is probably due to the fact that even though it's poetry, your hub is still rich with information. I'm thinking about taking this approach too.

1. Suzanne Day profile image93
        Suzanne Dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Jodah is the person who put me onto this - using some info in the hub instead of just the poem by itself. He is the real expert on poetry hubs!

15. profile image56
    frnko95posted 9 years ago

hello

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)