jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)

Buy it Now option for e-Bay Ads

1. sallybea profile image96
    sallybeaposted 2 years ago

Hello Matthew
    Please could you look into the possibility of providing a Buy it Now option for e-Bay Ads as has been done with Amazon.  Most writers on the site have removed all e-bay ads from their hubs   It was better when we were paid by click - even though the resulting income from clicks was never paid to people because they did not reach the payout threshold.  I believe that a better result could be obtained by placing Buy it Now Items on our Hubs.
    Thank you
    Sallybea

1. Faith Reaper profile image86
      Faith Reaperposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I think that is a great idea, Sally!  If the eBay ads are not generating any income, something needs to done.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
    Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago

Sallybea, can you edit your suggestion to make it more specific?

If you remember from last time, what we really need is two things:

1.  The ability to display "Buy It Now" items in our capsules (i.e. a check box for "Display Buy It Now items only" when we're editing the capsule)

2.   If that checkbox is checked, a Buy Now button should display.

I think it's a great idea.  Squidoo found that adding the big orange "Buy It Now" button to Amazon ads improved sales.   Why not try it for eBay? 

All eBay affiliate software includes the option to display Buy It Now items only, so I'm guessing it can't be a difficult task.

I have three sites where I display eBay products.   I show only Buy It Now products and have a Buy It Now button.   Those ads are still making sales consistently.   

eBay ads on my Hubs have never, ever performed as well as the ads on my sites, and have been useless since the commission change so I've removed most of them.

sallybeaposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I don't think I am able to edit the actual request I made.  I checked but it does not seem possible. 

I hope that Matthew will see this post and take your experience with the Buy it Now option in place.  I am sure that he will read all the comments placed here though.   It was he who suggested that I make the request.  If we can get enough people in favor, I think it can be done.

I completely agree with you.  I took all my ads off and put them back again when someone posted that they had made a sale.  I think it a bit like flogging a dead horse at the moment but I really don't think e-bay is something we should ignore.  I see so many impressions from e-bay but never a sale!

.There simply has got to be something wrong when site wide, writers complain about not having received a dime from e-bay since their new policy came into effect.

I notice below that I made the same request seven months ago.

3. Stacie L profile image87
    Stacie Lposted 2 years ago

This is a good idea...actually I have recently changed many of my eBay product capsules to buy it now.
    I'm not sure if it has helped with sales yet...roll

I was not aware that one could.  I did not think this is available here -  please tell me how.  I think this is likely that it is only an option for people living in the States.

4. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 2 years ago

eBay usage has dwindled so much, we may update the formatting, but without some considerable changes on their part (I've been talking with them), we aren't likely to add much to what we support.  On the other hand, our relationship with Amazon is much closer and we will be investing more in tuning the performance.  Look for some Amazon news next week:)

Thank you so much for exploring the e-bay option  Paul.  I am very grateful as this has been niggling away at my mind for ages. 
      I look forward to hearing more news on the Amazon project then - really positive news to look forward to.

2. Marisa Wright profile image92
      Marisa Wrightposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Paul, I know eBay's terms are not as good as Amazon's, but I display eBay products on my websites, and I see a significant difference when I display "buy it now"  items only.  Sales with Buy It Now are at least double - yes, really!

It's such a marked difference that I'd say HubPages should change the search functionality of the capsule such that it automatically returns Buy It Now items only.

I am also a member of an eBay affiliate website where there are many professional affiliate marketers, and since the latest commission changes, ALL of them display Buy It Now items only.  The current requirement for someone to bid within 24 hours has virtually wiped out commissions on auction sales.

If this wouldn't be too onerous a programming change, it could be enormously beneficial.

I really support Marisa over this issue.  I wish we could make this improvement before we ditch e-Bay.   I think it is important.

5. Paul Edmondson profile image

@Marisa, I appreciate the hands on experience and advice.

I've been chatting with eBay and I think it's clear to them that their program has suffered.  It sounds like they want to revive it, so it will be interesting to see what they propose. 

I haven't looked at filtering to  buy it now items with buttons, but even if it was 5X better, it only benefits are really small number of users.  The site wide ebay data is pretty dismal.

Hi Paul,
      Do the poor stats go back to the time when e-Bay stopped paying for clicks?.  I noticed today that I made a similar request for a buy it now option seven months ago,  just when things really got bad.  I think most people began ditching the ads at around that time too.
      I have never been in favor of putting all my eggs in one basket, do you think anything can be done to improve the situation.
      Sallybea

6. Paul Edmondson profile image

I should have a better idea of eBay's plans in the next few weeks.

working