Buy It Now on eBay

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (22 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image85
    Marisa Wrightposted 14 years ago

On my eBay websites, I can choose to list only items that are listed as "buy it now" (BIN). 

There's a bit of evidence to suggest that BIN items are more profitable than auction items for affiliates, especially with the new pricing model. 

Any chance we might be able to get that functionality in our eBay capsules some time?

2. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Please make that happen!!!!

3. Fawntia profile imageSTAFF
    Fawntiaposted 14 years ago

Thanks for letting us know that you'd find that feature useful. It is on our to-do list (but I'm not sure when we'll get to it).

4. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

Its a big one fawntia, with the quality click changes it seems as if first session and same item purchases are highly rated

5. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

Yes I agree, Marissa thank you for recommending this. The whole Ebay game has changed.

Now we get paid per click based on performance. Ebay clearly states in their blog that we get more per click if the purchase or winning bid happens closer to the click. While the cookie lasts for seven days, the purchases made at the beginning of the period matter more.

I've heard it said that Buy it Now is much easier to convert and I believe it. It also can happen immediately and we don't have to wait several days.

Maybe there aren't enough hubbers promoting Ebay to make it a high priority. (But it would be great for me.)

Good catch Marissa

6. Marisa Wright profile image85

Nellie, I find it bizarre that BIN items should do better - after all, I thought eBay was all about the excitement of finding a real bargain, and a BIN price is usually not bargain-basement.  However, it does seem to be the case.

1. sunforged profile image70
      sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

They have been pushing us as sellers to move towards the buy it now model also. all the incentives offered lead sellers to pursue BIN more

they seem to have forgot what made them popular in the first place

2. The10DollarMark profile image61
      The10DollarMarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There are plenty of BINs that are bargain priced. Maybe not as much as the auctions, but you'll still find plenty of stuff below retail and even amazon prices.

And some people just look on ebay because they're looking for an item that's hard to find and may not want to have to deal with possibly losing out.

I almost always buy with BIN because I always lose on auctions. As long as it's still a bargain, I'd rather pay 5-10$ more for a guarantee that I'll win.

7. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Looks like the internet auction niche is free once again. Any takers? wink

1. thranax profile image72
      thranaxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If your gonna make a new auction site, give me 50% of its shares =3?

~thranax~

8. Marisa Wright profile image85

Any news on this idea?

With QCP this is getting more and more important, IMO.

In fact, if it's too hard to give us a choice in the capsule, I'd be quite happy if the capsule was permanently set to Buy It Now only.

Would that be easier?

1. Whitney05 profile image82
      Whitney05posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'd still like to see both, but like you said if we have to choose, BIN is great. More chance to earn more money, as eBay seems to convert it better when choosing what tier you get paid at.

9. N. Ramius profile image74
    N. Ramiusposted 14 years ago

You could create a second Ebay capsule and call it Ebay BIN or something if that would be even simpler. Then youc an choose which type of ebay  capsule to use.

10. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

I've been scouring ebay's blogs and info trying to get a handle on whether or not it matters. And ebay has said in a few places that they understand that Bids take longer and they don't penalize us if we have bidders who take 5 days to buy something, versus BIN shoppers who purchae immediately.

Perhaps you're right that BIN shoppers convert better. However I wouldn't want to do away with either revenue stream at this point. When I look at my Transaction Detail, I have a lot of Winning Bids each day.

Giving people a choice would be nice though.

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Nelle, I'm just going by my own results.  The traffic on my websites (which are all Buy It Now) is pitiful compared to the traffic on my Hubs - yet less than 10% of my eBay income is from HubPages (which are winning bids).

Of course the ideal would be to have the choice to select "Buy it Now" only as an option - but as it hasn't appeared, I'm guessing that's not so easy.  So if it's a case of one or the other, I'd plump for the Buy It Now as standard.

11. CrystalStarWoman profile image58
    CrystalStarWomanposted 14 years ago

I find it frustrating that I make my living selling on eBay (all BIN items) but I wasn't accepted as an ebay affiliate sad

12. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

I wish if we get a feature of using ebay modules in revenue share just like we do with squidoo.

1. relache profile image71
      relacheposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The reason that HubPages set up the earnings models that they have is they do not have to administrate any earnings or payouts.  It's much more work-efficient on their end.

13. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

Option is the best idea.

We have an ebay capsule, and we get whatever we earn on our 60% of time, so to speak. That is better than the 50% share with squidoo, in my opinion.

1. The10DollarMark profile image61
      The10DollarMarkposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That's only better if you get into ebay's program, which (unlike adsense and amazon) a lot of people here do not.

With squidoo's, it's squidoo's account and they manually split earnings with us. So ebay's meaniness is no longer an issue.

2. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes but since last 2 months ebay is not accepting new applications. So that is why i suggested that there should be two options one for those who are already in and second for those who are not accepted officially should be on revenue share.

14. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

If it was a BIN as a standard, it would still eliminate some products. Not all sellers have BIN, although at this point most do.

It may not be that it's too hard to alter, but that they may have other pressing things or that it's just not a big concern bc so far what's here works. Although, adding BIN would be potentially more profitable.

The10DollarMark, HubPages doesn't want to get involved with money and distributing money. This way, it's all with the affiliate. Personally, I'd  rather get paid by the affiliate than have my earnings paid for by a third party. It's simpler this way, and more trustworthy, in my opinion. Not that I don't trust HubPages, but as it is, I can see my earnings on eBay (what's sold, what hubs do best for eBay affiliate program, and what products get most sells), which helps when creating future hubs. I've always had an issue with Squidoo's payout scale, anyway. I would hate HubPages to do the same.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)