Buy it Now option for e-Bay Ads

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (13 posts)
  1. sallybea profile image93
    sallybeaposted 9 years ago

Hello Matthew
    Please could you look into the possibility of providing a Buy it Now option for e-Bay Ads as has been done with Amazon.  Most writers on the site have removed all e-bay ads from their hubs   It was better when we were paid by click - even though the resulting income from clicks was never paid to people because they did not reach the payout threshold.  I believe that a better result could be obtained by placing Buy it Now Items on our Hubs.
    Thank you
    Sallybea

1. Faith Reaper profile image83
      Faith Reaperposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I think that is a great idea, Sally!  If the eBay ads are not generating any income, something needs to done.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

Sallybea, can you edit your suggestion to make it more specific?

If you remember from last time, what we really need is two things:

1.  The ability to display "Buy It Now" items in our capsules (i.e. a check box for "Display Buy It Now items only" when we're editing the capsule)

2.   If that checkbox is checked, a Buy Now button should display.

I think it's a great idea.  Squidoo found that adding the big orange "Buy It Now" button to Amazon ads improved sales.   Why not try it for eBay? 

All eBay affiliate software includes the option to display Buy It Now items only, so I'm guessing it can't be a difficult task.

I have three sites where I display eBay products.   I show only Buy It Now products and have a Buy It Now button.   Those ads are still making sales consistently.   

eBay ads on my Hubs have never, ever performed as well as the ads on my sites, and have been useless since the commission change so I've removed most of them.

sallybeaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I don't think I am able to edit the actual request I made.  I checked but it does not seem possible. 

I hope that Matthew will see this post and take your experience with the Buy it Now option in place.  I am sure that he will read all the comments placed here though.   It was he who suggested that I make the request.  If we can get enough people in favor, I think it can be done.

I completely agree with you.  I took all my ads off and put them back again when someone posted that they had made a sale.  I think it a bit like flogging a dead horse at the moment but I really don't think e-bay is something we should ignore.  I see so many impressions from e-bay but never a sale!

.There simply has got to be something wrong when site wide, writers complain about not having received a dime from e-bay since their new policy came into effect.

I notice below that I made the same request seven months ago.

3. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 9 years ago

This is a good idea...actually I have recently changed many of my eBay product capsules to buy it now.
    I'm not sure if it has helped with sales yet...roll

I was not aware that one could.  I did not think this is available here -  please tell me how.  I think this is likely that it is only an option for people living in the States.

4. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 9 years ago

eBay usage has dwindled so much, we may update the formatting, but without some considerable changes on their part (I've been talking with them), we aren't likely to add much to what we support.  On the other hand, our relationship with Amazon is much closer and we will be investing more in tuning the performance.  Look for some Amazon news next week:)

Thank you so much for exploring the e-bay option  Paul.  I am very grateful as this has been niggling away at my mind for ages. 
      I look forward to hearing more news on the Amazon project then - really positive news to look forward to.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Paul, I know eBay's terms are not as good as Amazon's, but I display eBay products on my websites, and I see a significant difference when I display "buy it now"  items only.  Sales with Buy It Now are at least double - yes, really!

It's such a marked difference that I'd say HubPages should change the search functionality of the capsule such that it automatically returns Buy It Now items only.

I am also a member of an eBay affiliate website where there are many professional affiliate marketers, and since the latest commission changes, ALL of them display Buy It Now items only.  The current requirement for someone to bid within 24 hours has virtually wiped out commissions on auction sales.

If this wouldn't be too onerous a programming change, it could be enormously beneficial.

I really support Marisa over this issue.  I wish we could make this improvement before we ditch e-Bay.   I think it is important.

5. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

@Marisa, I appreciate the hands on experience and advice.

I've been chatting with eBay and I think it's clear to them that their program has suffered.  It sounds like they want to revive it, so it will be interesting to see what they propose. 

I haven't looked at filtering to  buy it now items with buttons, but even if it was 5X better, it only benefits are really small number of users.  The site wide ebay data is pretty dismal.

Hi Paul,
      Do the poor stats go back to the time when e-Bay stopped paying for clicks?.  I noticed today that I made a similar request for a buy it now option seven months ago,  just when things really got bad.  I think most people began ditching the ads at around that time too.
      I have never been in favor of putting all my eggs in one basket, do you think anything can be done to improve the situation.
      Sallybea

6. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF

I should have a better idea of eBay's plans in the next few weeks.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)