Panda Update in Progress! Sept 25 and Rolling

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (46 posts)
  1. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 9 years ago

For anyone seeing a sudden dip or rise in traffic, be aware that Panda is rampaging again:

http://searchengineland.com/panda-update-rolling-204313

This may be good news for some who lost traffic in the August update, and it will be bad news for others.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, thanks for the post. It's perked me up. Hope springs eternal. big_smile

2. Suzanne Day profile image94
      Suzanne Dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's like a relationship with Kung Fu Panda. It started with fireworks, now you get a little bang each year you are married wink

Was going to take a hiatus, then suddenly got inspired by all sorts of stuff and can't stop writing hubs. But I won't know how they'll go until Panda settles and they've been around for a few months. Never mind, I am just full on addicted to Hubpages.

Loving your work, Marisa!

3. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 9 years agoin reply to this

I found this helpful. I think it was written for an older update, but at any rate is relevant for the general ups and downs that you have to get used to if you've got content online. http://www.seochat.com/c/a/google-optim … whats-new/

1. ologsinquito profile image82
        ologsinquitoposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for posting. I'm going to proceed pretty much as I've always done, since traffic does fluctuate and things can bounce back. Yesterday it was a bloodbath on my main blog. Today, it's probably the best Friday I've ever had.

1. NateB11 profile image89

No problem, glad you liked it. I'm feeling the same way. I lost a lot of traffic over the past few days. But this seems to be a natural consequence for many after a Google update. I think I'm already recovering my positions a bit in results pages on Google (fingers crossed!). Often people have a brief setback during an update but then bounce back better than ever. I think you have the right attitude. I mean, when the t's are crossed and the i's are dotted, seems you're in good shape.

4. jtrader profile image35
      jtraderposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Marisa.

2. Jayne Lancer profile image91
    Jayne Lancerposted 9 years ago

Just saw it on another thread. At least we now know what's going on.

3. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 9 years ago

Thank you very much, Marisa. I hope everyone makes it over to this thread. Very informative.

4. wilderness profile image96
    wildernessposted 9 years ago

Well, if traffic stats would update I might know more.  Wait and see, I guess.

1. lisavollrath profile image93
      lisavollrathposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Google Analytics will give you a better idea of how you're doing.

2. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Well, the stats are updating and so far nothing unusual.  Traffic is falling, but then it always is this time of the week for me, bottoming out on Saturday. 

So...knocking on wood and rubbing rabbits foot, I await next weeks figures.

1. janshares profile image93
        jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Good attitude, wilderness. We must wait and see how it all pans out in a few weeks. However, my traffic is way, way down, more than just the typical Friday decrease. I will have a better idea of how widespread this is after the weekend, when my traffic usually shoots up. Stay tuned . . .

5. CMHypno profile image84
    CMHypnoposted 9 years ago

Google giveth and Google taketh away! This time I seem to be on the dip side, but I have been up and down so many times over the last few years I really don't worry about it too much any more.

6. Hendrika profile image69
    Hendrikaposted 9 years ago

I seem to be on "up" side with the Hubs I have updated recently because of low visiting numbers.

7. SANJAY LAKHANPAL profile image84
    SANJAY LAKHANPALposted 9 years ago

Thanks for sharing the link.

8. profile image0
    blbairdposted 9 years ago

Good information to know. Hopefully it will help solid content.

9. Chinaimport profile image79
    Chinaimportposted 9 years ago

Thanks for the update, Marisa. This is a slow roll out, I would give Panda a week to spoil the party.  Clean up time is much further down the schedule.  Panda, as I understand, primarily weeds out thin content.  HP, by design, does not allow thin content as we all have to write at least 1250 words to get Hub featured.  I think we are all safe...for now smile

10. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
    DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years ago

PANDA!!!  Hey, Google---leave the wildlife out where they belong!

I am so SICK TO DEATH of all these constant changes, some helpful, most deleterious, that I no longer even pay attention to my stats.  I just write what I want to write, and if "The Big G" likes it, fine, if not, oh, effing well. 

I have better and more important things to do with my time than micro-manage every article I write--repeatedly! 

If my friends and acquaintances here on HP enjoy what I write, then fine, I'm validated.  If I make less money, that's the breaks. I did not come here to bow to the 'great Google god;' gods are not a part of my life, and I don't intend to begin by worshipping Google. 

That is all.  Nothing else I have to say on the matter is printable.

1. paradigmsearch profile image60
      paradigmsearchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

You will always be one of my favorites. big_smile

1. DzyMsLizzy profile image85
        DzyMsLizzyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

@ paradigm -- **bows low, and blushes**  why, thank you, thank you, thankyouverymuch! (said in 'Elvis' voice)  ...   wink

2. janshares profile image93
      jansharesposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Luv you, DzyMsLizzy, lol, lol, lol . . . So good.

@ janshares -- ;-)  I'm touched.  Thank you so much.  I'm glad to provide ...whatever... humor, awareness, righteous indignation... ...LOL

11. chef-de-jour profile image96
    chef-de-jourposted 9 years ago

Yes, right on .....

There was a fine writer called Lizzy
    who often on forums got busy,
    but when the PANDA came sniffing
    Lizzy gave it a biffing -
    Now Google is all in a tizzy.

@chef-de-jour --  LOL  What a great limerick!!  I'm floored to have one written in my honor!  ;-)  Thanks much!  (Although I do not entertain for one nanosecond the idea that Google gives a rat's patootie about my opinion....)

1. Suzanne Day profile image94
        Suzanne Dayposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I haven't found anyone that Google truly LOVES yet;)

12. alexadry profile image94
    alexadryposted 9 years ago

I am so tired of all these penguins, pandas and pig updates! What irritates me the most is the unfairness of Google over older material that should IMO be protected. In other words, I notice that often after the updates,  my articles that used to rank top positions get shuffled around, and the websites of people who wrote newer articles after mine (I can see this from the published date) rank better than mine that were written like 5 -6 years ago! The worst part is that often, the articles that rank higher are a simple re-write of my articles with just some words changed around!

13. Bharath Sunny profile image58
    Bharath Sunnyposted 9 years ago

I think the time has come for me to review my Hubs as i can see 50% traffic down for my pages.

14. isaacasante profile image82
    isaacasanteposted 9 years ago

My traffic has gone super down... I could have over 600 reads per day in August and up till last week, whereas I'm below 200 reads per day now... My hubs so far are detailed, so I don't really know why I'd be penalized. But is there a chance things pick up?

In the past when there has been a Panda update, people have said they had a temporary loss of traffic but it came back and, in some cases, they had more traffic. During the update, pages get shuffled in the SERPs, but then everything finally settles at some point. This makes sense to me, since many of us, like yourself, write detailed articles and shouldn't be hit by the algorithm adversely. I've already witnessed my articles moving up and down the SERPs, so I'm pretty sure that's what is happening at this point. I'm waiting for the dust to settle.

Me too. That's exactly what I'm doing, in addition to getting my former Squid account up to HP standards.

I should do that too, with my former Squidoo account. I only had 11 articles there. I should polish them up.

Hi Nate, it didn't take that long. I had to delete the lenslets.

I'll have to get rid of the lenslets, I had a few.

2. isaacasante profile image82
        isaacasanteposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I'm really hoping traffic goes up, because I have quality content, so I can't see why I'd be penalized. But well, I think I need to add more stuff here to be safe.

15. Maffew James profile image95
    Maffew Jamesposted 9 years ago

According to searchmetrics.com, the Hubpages site as a whole is down by 46 percent due to the current panda update. I don't know how accurate their statistics are, but it's still rather disconcerting to think that the site as a whole is being affected by the algorithm changes.

Then, to top that off, sites like celebrity-gossip . net, and comdotgame . com are ranking significantly higher since the update. This is what Panda seems to do every single time it is revised. Good quality content is buried, and trashy, spammy sites are given a phenomenal boost.

I don't understand how Google can continue to claim it's fostering quality when it can't even develop a panda update that actually does what it's meant to do.

16. rajan jolly profile image93
    rajan jollyposted 9 years ago

My traffic is down by about 45% in the past 2 days though it is difficult to say whether it is solely due to the new Panda update or the Hubpages stats that have not been updated during the same time frame.

Hubpages could have seen the Panda rollout coming and could have probably delayed the change in the primary data center ensuring the stats remained updated hourly for a more correct estimate of the damage done by the latest Panda update.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

How?   Google never announces its Panda updates in advance.

1. rajan jolly profile image93
        rajan jollyposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, is the announcement of an update by Google only announced after it is rolled out?

17. Brie Hoffman profile image59
    Brie Hoffmanposted 9 years ago

My traffic and earnings are tanking.  This is no way to run a business.

18. lbsf1 profile image81
    lbsf1posted 9 years ago

My traffic has fallen from over 100 hits per day toooo......... 20 -.- , let's hope this all settles out.

19. Suzanne Day profile image94
    Suzanne Dayposted 9 years ago

Everybody just wait.

If it's like original Panda with squids thrown in, it will recover and recover well for many years to come.

Just might take a little while....

+1

20. Varna Creations profile image61
    Varna Creationsposted 9 years ago

This time Google is focusing more on removing/ penalising thin websites. If your website traffic has  suddenly risen or fallen, consider you're hit by Panda.

21. Bharath Sunny profile image58
    Bharath Sunnyposted 9 years ago

If this behavior continues (Penalizing sites like Hubpages and Giving advantage for websites like comdotgame . com )with Google,i think with in no time,DuckDuckGo will come over Google..hmm

22. Hendrika profile image69
    Hendrikaposted 9 years ago

initially it did not look as if my traffic was hit, but now it is down big time

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)