How do you decide when (or if) to add content to a Hub?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (37 posts)
  1. profile image0
    promisemposted 9 years ago

Do you add content to your worst-performing Hub or your best to make it even better? Do you add content to the low-scoring Hubs before the high scorers? What else do you think when you decide when or if to add content to a Hub?

1. cam8510 profile image92
      cam8510posted 9 years agoin reply to this

All of my hubs are featured.   On occasion a hub will become unfeatured.  That is one time I would make some changes.   Another time would be when I find additional,  relevant information that would improve my hub. If I have a hub with a score that I feel is lower than it should be,   I try to figure out why hubpages is keeping the score down. Then I attempt to resolve that issue.  I see drastic improvement in poor scores by making additions and subtractions to content, including changing Photographs.  Good question.

1. profile image0
        promisemposted 9 years agoin reply to this

What got me on the question was a Hub of mine with a low score. I got rid of two Amazon product links and a couple of canned photos. I replaced them with four original photos that I shot myself plus a nice canned shot that I graphically enhanced. Other than the score going down a bit, nothing else happened. It was disappointing.

1. cam8510 profile image92
          cam8510posted 9 years agoin reply to this

That is in interesting.  Those are the things that should cause a score to rise.  It at the very least returns them to being featured.  I usually try to change some text, like the title or capsule title.  Just a couple of days ago I saw one of my favorite hubs had sunk to an all time low score.  I went in and added some content because the word count was low.  I changed some photos and got new advertisements.  The score has come up about 15 points and is holding.  It sounds as though it isn't enough to change photos and ads.  Something needs to be added in the way of text.

1. profile image0

I just went through the same thing with another Hub when I added about 150 words. This time the score went up 6 points. Odd that they go down on some and up on others.

1. Jean Bakula profile image94
              Jean Bakulaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Hi promisem,
              We can drive ourselves crazy trying to understand what makes a hub get featured again. About a month ago, I had about 12 unfeatured, and usually all my hubs are featured. All I did was change a line or two, and a few little things like that, and they were back in business the next day.

When I first came to HP, I didn't understand that you couldn't just take pictures from Google images, that they had to be from approved sites because of copyrights. I went back and changed some of the hubs, but as the years go on, I simply can't keep changing so many hubs, so many times. So I believe it has hurt me that I used pictures HP doesn't approve of as far as Editor's Choice hubs. But I write about Metaphysical subjects, and it's hard to find pictures to illustrate a lot of them.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That decision should have nothing to do with scores, because scores are totally irrelevant.  Traffic is the only measure that matters.

If I have a Hub that's doing well, my attitude is usually "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."    If a Hub is doing badly, I first ask myself why.   If it's simply a subject that's not being searched for, no amount of additional material will help so it would be a waste of effort.  Likewise if it's a subject that has too much competition.  So I would research those things first before deciding what to do.

1. profile image0

I tend to think that way too. If I have a good performer, what if I put more time in it and nothing happens? Even worse, what if it goes down?

But I can say the same thing about low performers if I give them more time and don't get results.

3. profile image0

The folks at HubPages have kindly shared their views on the question:

1. Focus on the Hubs with the highest traffic.
      2. Focus on your Hubs with violations or warnings.
      3. Focus on the oldest Hubs.
      4. Focus on Featured Hubs.

That said, I'm reluctant to give up on my low performers. I have seen some of them improve over time.

4. profile image0

I thought you all would be interested in seeing this new announcement:

http://blog.hubpages.com/2015/02/26/an- … -hubscore/

5. peachpurple profile image82
      peachpurpleposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I usually add a few lines if fresh text for unfeatured hubs to make them featured

2. aesta1 profile image91
    aesta1posted 9 years ago

I used to revise my low scoring hubs as I did not like having those scores until I read in the forum that it is better to give your time to your best hubs first, the ones that get traffic. When I did that, the traffic improved.

1. profile image0

Have you ever put effort into a low-scoring Hub and seen its score or traffic improve?

1. Susana S profile image94
        Susana Sposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I've put effort into low traffic hubs and seen their traffic increase. I never use scores as a gauge.

1. profile image0

I guess I keep coming back to the question of why have scores if we can't improve them? If the scores aren't meant to tell us about the quality of the hub, why have them at all? Just wondering.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

That is a very good question.

At one time, we had a couple of excellent moderators who were very honest and open about how HubPages worked.   They both acknowledged that the scoring system was flawed but that HubPages didn't want to remove it until they had something better to replace it.  Their advice was always "just ignore the scores", because it's been shown time and time again that scores have NO correlation with how well a Hub will perform. 

Not long after that, the founder of the site dropped in to say he thought the scoring system was wonderful and we haven't heard a word of criticism since.  The scoring system has been tweaked several times since then, but there is still no correlation between score and performance.

Try sorting your Hubs by score and then sorting them by traffic, and see.

1. profile image0

I suspect one factor used in the scoring is the uniqueness of the topic. Search engines favor unique content.

If I wrote an article about widgets, it might get a low score. Red widgets would get a higher score and red widgets that fly would get the highest. But red widgets that fly don't necessarily attract a lot of search engine results.

So the traffic and the score in that example at are odds with each other.

This is what HubScore is made up of, according to HP:

" The quality of the Hub - as measured through the Quality Assessment Process;

The amount of traffic the Hub receives;

The reputation of the Hubber - your HubberScore and contribution to the community;

The response of readers to your Hub - including comments, feedback, etc.;

The uniqueness of content - copying or paraphrasing content already available on the web will be highly penalized."

On older versions there was an extra factor - "length of Hub".  That's been removed. 

When it says "uniqueness of content", you'll see it's referring to the uniqueness of the text, not the uniqueness of the subject.   Uniqueness of subject has never been a factor. 

You'll also notice that your Hubber Score affects your Hubscore, which is curious since part of your Hubber Score is an average of all your HubScores.  I'd have thought that created a circular reference which would result in some weird results.  Come to think of it,  perhaps that is an explanation!

1. profile image0

Great point about uniqueness of content versus uniqueness of subject. 

They may not mention uniqueness of subject in their description, but it seems reasonable to reward it because it means there are fewer articles on the same subject elsewhere.

As a result, the Hubpages article will attract more search engine traffic and ad revenue.

Likewise the connection to Hubber Score. I recently wrote an article on a fairly unique subject. My score went up to 99. I then posted two more articles on fairly common subjects. My Hubber score dropped to 90 and my Hubscores dropped as well. But I saw no difference in traffic or revenue.

It may be a good idea, but the point is - how does an automated algorithm judge the uniqueness of a subject?   If it can't be done by an algorithm, it can't be included in HubScore.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
                  rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

Marisa, if you've seen the latest blog post about hubscores, you'll see this is no longer accurate information.

It's not that different, though, Marcy.  In fact, only ONE thing has changed:  the measure of reader involvement is not limited to comments, it's now measuring other things like (probably) bounce rate. 

Traffic is still there, it's just been "de-emphasised".   It had already been "de-emphasised" at least once (I remember Paul posting that traffic was no longer a major factor months ago), so I doubt that change will make a big difference.  It's the reader engagement measures that will affect the score most.

I also notice that although "length of Hub" is not mentioned in the current Help section, it is still there so I was wrong to say it had disappeared.

2. rebekahELLE profile image84
            rebekahELLEposted 9 years agoin reply to this

It's a very good question.  I don't understand how hubs drop 8-10 points after an update.  If it had a certain score before, and the only change is a necessary new material update, how/why does it drop so quickly?  I've tried to get answers on this, but I think part of it has to do with how it's rated.  What seems unfair is that it is a certain score, then, poof, it drops in a moment.  The rating doesn't seem consistent.
            Now I simply don't care what the score is because to me the scores make no sense. 

I add new content to specific hubs that require updating.  Otherwise, I don't update or rewrite.

1. profile image0

Maybe it's a conservative response to the change until search engines have their own response to it. Then the score starts to rise again if search engines respond favorably. But I'm just speculating.

3. Kylyssa profile image91
    Kylyssaposted 9 years ago

I add content when I see that a hub needs more content and/or when I have what I think is a good idea for more content to add to a hub. I research the subject more until I have what seems to be a good idea in the first case, but in the latter I tend to have the idea that seems good on its own and then hunt up the hub to change it.

Score never factors in for me because it doesn't accurately reflect quality. I base my changes on my evaluation of the hub and the new material.

1. profile image0

I understand and agree that the scores don't accurately reflect quality. Does your approach result in more traffic? Is that your primary goal or are you focused on creative fulfillment?

1. Kylyssa profile image91
        Kylyssaposted 9 years agoin reply to this

I write in the hope that my voice will be heard. That is creative and it requires readers to be fulfilling.

Yes, making each piece of writing better and/or more comprehensive whenever I see something in need of improvement or think of something I should add to a piece generally results in more views. I've had pieces that slept for over a year before the right change suddenly woke them up and inspired readers to share them. It's not usually so dramatic, but there's almost always a significant increase in views within a short time. 

I don't base it on ranking or on the number of views a piece gets because change for the sake of change seldom works as well as genuine improvement or well-considered expansion of a topic. Working on making each piece of writing the best I can has proven the best strategy.

I prioritize them by working on hubs I think I have a good idea for improving or on which I've identified a specific shortcoming first.

4. tlcs profile image60
    tlcsposted 9 years ago

Once a month I go through all of my hubs and add content and check that the google ads are in keeping with what my hub is about.

5. paradigm search profile image54
    paradigm searchposted 9 years ago

Whenever I think of or discover something I want or should do, I edit at will. Let the hubscore chips fall where they may.

1. profile image0

I'm surprised at how many posters like you are saying that they don't pay much attention to the scores.

1. paradigm search profile image54
        paradigm searchposted 9 years agoin reply to this

That's because we figured out that they're just there to torture us. big_smile

1. profile image0

LOL. That's my first laugh of the day. Thanks!  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)