jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (10 posts)

Updating articles a factor in unfeaturing for low traffic

1. Lady Lorelei profile image79
    Lady Loreleiposted 18 months ago

Just went into my account to find a whack of articles unfeatured for lack of traffic (or so it says). I poked a few buttons to see how low the traffic is and was surprised to see other articles with less traffic still featured. Then I discovered the common factor in all the articles that were unfeatured. They had not been edited since last September. It was my AHA moment.

Better update those articles folks wink

1. Jason Marovich profile image88
      Jason Marovichposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Here's what I've noticed:

My articles that get regular traffic, albeit not much, stay featured even without recent updating.

My articles that get low or no traffic for extended periods of time are no longer featured.  If I update them without changing them significantly, they will become featured again for a bit, and then become unfeatured again.

So here's what I've learned:

HubPages is trying to tell me that my articles that are becoming unfeatured need some significant changes to draw traffic.  Once I realized that, that was my AHA moment.  HP wants our articles that aren't getting traffic to get traffic and they want us to do something about it.

Brilliant big_smile

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image95
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 18 months ago in reply to this

I spend a great deal of time updating and/or deleting articles.  As a result, I never have unfeatured articles.  In my mind, articles that have low views either have too much competition, need improvement or are on topics that people really have no interest in.  As such, they need to be culled out of the mix because keeping them does my subdomain no good, even though they may be well written.

No sense writing what nobody is reading!

1. Muttface profile image92
        Muttfaceposted 18 months ago in reply to this

Do you mind me asking at what HubScore they get to when you decide to cull?

2. FatFreddysCat profile image94
    FatFreddysCatposted 18 months ago

I just checked my list and I have one that's newly un-featured for lack of traffic.... as it happens I was planning to delete that one soon anyway, so no great loss. (shrugs)

3. paperfacets profile image84
    paperfacetsposted 18 months ago

I have been rewriting some Hubs with new keywords. The old ones may be stale.

4. Dima Alexandru profile image54
    Dima Alexandruposted 18 months ago

5. Thelma Alberts profile image82
    Thelma Albertsposted 18 months ago

A week ago all my 100 hubs were featured and this week I kept on updating and tweaking my few unfeatured hubs due to low traffic. At the moment all are featured again. We´ll see when is the next unfeatured one. What I don´t like to see is my low profile score. A month ago it was 94-95 and now it keeps on going down although I am everyday here interacting and checking my hubs. Anyway,  Happy hump day to all!

1. Lady Lorelei profile image79
      Lady Loreleiposted 18 months ago in reply to this

My hub score has been dropping like a rock this past week as well. Not too sure what is up with that.

6. Thomas Swan profile image95
    Thomas Swanposted 18 months ago

I've had a few hubs unfeatured for the first time this week due to low traffic. They just so happen to be the oldest of my hubs in terms of the "last edited" date. From the limited data I have, they're unfeaturing hubs that haven't been edited for more than 2 years and have less than 1000 views.

They need updating and redoing anyway, so no biggie. I wouldn't mind a warning next time it's going to happen though, or just a notice when it does happen. Having said that, it wouldn't be too hard to predict the next hub-victim.