So I checked my 'Not featured - Traffic and. arghhh!

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (45 posts)
  1. Nell Rose profile image92
    Nell Roseposted 7 years ago

How many of us have actually checked how many of our hubs are not featured due to traffic? Eek! over a 100! yep you heard me, 100! Jeesh!

Purely because we forget to promote or update them! I have a lot of work to do! Anybody else in this predicament? Please say you are......lol!

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
      DrMark1961posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Nell, I suggest deleting some of your less successful hubs if you are not able to keep up with updating that large number. I have seen several hubbers on this site with over 1000 hubs, but if they are not able to update they end up with 100s of unfeatured hubs.
      I really do not think it is worth it. In my opinion we are better off keeping fewer hubs that we are able to manage.

Nell Roseposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks DrMark smile

2. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I checked and spent the beginning of the year updating my unfeatured hubs.  Took way too much time so now I check my hubs more often.

3. ChitrangadaSharan profile image92
      ChitrangadaSharanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thankfully all my hubs are featured since I keep on updating them. But then you have a number of them Nell. It must be too much work for you. Good luck!

Hi Chitrangada, lol! yes too many to mention!

4. MizBejabbers profile image87
      MizBejabbersposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Updating mine haven't done much good. Most get unfeatured anyway, and I'm speaking of what should be evergreen. But then I don't publish very often, so I think people who publish weekly or even daily have a better chance than those of us who don't have time to publish more than a half dozen hubs a year. Because I worked for a newspaper and day or two old material was ready for the birdcage, I was surprised to find that these hubs could stay up as long as they do.

1. TheDragonBringer profile image89
        TheDragonBringerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hey, I looked at some of your articles, and they don't have bios. I know I keep bringing it up, but the Google Search Quality Rating guidelines do suggest that all of your hubs need a bio, YTML or not. Try adding one and see if that helps.  Also, go to stats, then to search phrases. You can see what phrases people use to find you through search engines. Once you do that you might think of tinkering with your titles.

I did have bios Dragon, but for some reason when they get moved about they lose them, so i am going back to do some again.

You know what, maybe you should email the hubpages support team. By the way, I apologize if I comment bombed you and if I didn't then I am broken too.

I tried to leave you a comment and it wouldn't let me submit it.

2. Glenn Stok profile image96
            Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hey Nell, I have a thought! When you change your bios do you go to the hubs and check them to be sure your change has taken?  I'm wondering if by chance you forget to click "save" in the "Edit Bio" page.

Thanks Glenn, maybe some of them, but not all the ones that have been taken for other sites, but according to hubstaff it was me, so....

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
                Marisa Wrightposted 7 years agoin reply to this

But Nell, you are setting up all the bios at the same time, on your Account page under "About the Author" - so how could you save some and not others?

Oh dear lord...I am a dumbass! LOL! I was er.....going into hubs and doing it, never even saw the About the Author thing! I blame it on age-ish....drink, work and yep being so complacent that I forgot! LOL!

2. tarayates profile image77
          tarayatesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the tip, I didn't know about either myself...

5. Marisa Wright profile image87

I am absolutely astonished that you don't check that - for any Hubber wanting to earn income, it's absolutely fundamental!   

However, I take issue with this statement: Purely because we forget to promote or update them!"   Er- no.  Posting a link on a social site, or changing a few words, will get them Featured for a few weeks.  It won't solve the underlying problem and it's a waste of effort IMO.  Both those things will get you a little blip of traffic, which will earn you cents at best.

If you have Hubs that are unFeatured for lack of traffic, then you need to work out why it's not getting traffic.   Is the title Google friendly?  Are you using a range of different keywords in your text, so Google can understand what your Hub is about?  Maybe it's too short? 

On the other hand, it may just be that the Hub is about a subject that people aren't searching for.   If that's the case, then no amount of updating, promoting or revising will do any good at all.

The way to find out - think seriously about what's wrong with each Hub and make a major effort to improve it.  That will get it Featured again - but if it eventually gets unFeatured again, you'll know it's just one of those subjects that will never get traffic, no matter what you do. I wrote a Hub called How to Optimize your Hubs to Make Money, it gives some tips you might find useful - it's on the slider on my profile.

I have been but it got away from  me, what with work and being ill or some time, just catching up now

I'd suggest that you don't rush to fix them all.   Take your time, work on one at a time, and do a major renovation on each one.  If you succumb to the temptation to do a quick fix, you'll forget which ones need attention and they'll suddenly all get unFeatured again in a couple of months.  Better to try to fix them properly now, IMO, even if it's slower.

I am just trying to figure out how to create the time. Between my accounts, I have many hubs. I still have my full-time job and three kids. Now I try to schedule special mom time where I am left alone so I can edit hubs. My kids are getting older, and more independent, so that helps.

2. Nell Rose profile image92

Thanks Marissa smile

6. Sherry Hewins profile image93
      Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

When it comes to hubs, I value quality over quantity. I don't have hundreds of hubs, and I don't have any unfeatured. While it's hard to guess which hubs will do well when you write them, after they've been around for a couple of years you have a pretty good idea of how they're doing.

I only have 47 hubs. 90% of my earnings have come from my top ten. Almost 50% came from one hub.

I think it is best to improve from the top down. Start with your top earners. When they are the best you can make them, move on to the marginal ones.

Then, and only then, move on the ones that don't get any love. If one was unfeatured, I would take a good hard look at it, and decide if it was worth keeping.

If not, save it to your computer. You never know when you might need it. I have deleted a few that I regretted not saving later. Then just go ahead and delete it from HubPages.

If something happens later that makes one of your old, deleted hubs suddenly relevant, you can always reconfigure and republish it.

+1

2. louise-barraco profile image38
    louise-barracoposted 7 years ago

I have been updating my hubs for weeks it's not fun but has to be done

I have done quite a few this evening, but I never realised how many needed doing! lol! well done for tackling it louise.

2. always exploring profile image75
      always exploringposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I have a bunch of unfeatured hubs. Get busy Ruby!

Hi Ruby, lol! its a pain isn't it? how you doing?

3. AudreyHowitt profile image79
    AudreyHowittposted 7 years ago

I am right there with you! Arg!

4. Oscarlites profile image70
    Oscarlitesposted 7 years ago

I honestly don't feel that you should have to promote or update your hubs in order to keep them "fresh" or whatever., I feel that the search-ability and traffic is based on a formula hub-pages has brought into the mix of their relationship with the world wide web.  I admit I don't know as much about web search and domain presence on the web as I would like. however, since very early in my hubpage membership, we lost something and my hubs seem to not recovered from it.   not at all. At the very first, we were searched for and found easily. maybe a better way to relate this is we were surfed into the mainstream web and now you have to go chop logs and kindling and restart the fire several times a night to keep the fire burning and the hubpages "warm" , (metaphorically speaking!)

You should read the search quality guidelines, and research some about what triggers webcrawling. The google guidlines state that medical YMYL should be "frequently updated".

Google wants content to be updated, it isn't just some trick Hubpages plays on users. However, Hubpages has to work hard on reputation, because that impacts traffic.

2. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I agree with DragonBringer.  If articles/hubs aren't regularly updated, Google considers them abandoned and won't include them in their search results.  In addition to HP, I also have a website so I can attest to the fact that any time I update a hub or an article on my website, there is an uptick in traffic from Google.  This is a Google issue, not a HP issue.

It is absolutely not true that Google considers non-updated articles to be abandoned!   If that were the case, don't you think online newspapers would be deleting all their news items from last year?

If you read the guidelines in more detail, you'll see that Google understands some information is "evergreen".  Google says it values "freshness" but says it tries to strike a balance.  When it evaluates a website or blog, for instance, it's not expecting every single article to be regularly updated - the important thing is that new articles are regularly being added.  They take that to mean that the site is being actively managed and that if older articles needed updating, they would be.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image91
    FatFreddysCatposted 7 years ago

I got 170 hubs and (Barry White voice) they allllll featured, baby.

...of course, my traffic is on the dumpster, but hey....featured!

LOL! Freddy!

6. lobobrandon profile image87
    lobobrandonposted 7 years ago

Do not update hubs because they are unfeatured. If you think they have the potential to get traffic after you update them, then do it. If not, forget about it. You could end up wasting hours of your time for nothing.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image93
      Sherry Hewinsposted 7 years agoin reply to this

+1

7. Author Cheryl profile image80
    Author Cherylposted 7 years ago

The only thing you have to do is buff them up a little and then I either post it to LinkedIn or another social media then they get bumped back up again.

8. lovebuglena profile image85
    lovebuglenaposted 7 years ago

I never had that many but I had I think in the 20s or 30s range of those. Noticed that sometimes you don't do any edits to them and they go back to being featured.

9. Nell Rose profile image92
    Nell Roseposted 7 years ago

No, not noticed that? maybe its because someone on hubs read it.

10. Jodah profile image91
    Jodahposted 7 years ago

Nell, I know where you are coming from. Probably a quarter of my hubs are now unfeatured even though my traffic is increasing and many have had views. I used to spend hours updating them but that would only keep them featured for a week or two and then the same all over. Now I will maybe update one or two a week. It doesn't seem worth the time. I was a member here for five years before I had any hubs that weren't featured now it seems to happen on a daily basis. I say don't stress it.

Thanks John, yes I did panic a bit as my traffic is bombing, but what can you do? I will do that, just a couple a week too.

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

Jodah, there are two ways you can deal with unFeatured Hubs.   

Option 1 - Change ONE SENTENCE in the Hub, no more.  That will be enough to send it through the system and get it Featured again for a few weeks.    Then just rinse and repeat every time.

Option 2 - Thoroughly revise and expand the Hub, with the aim of improving its search-engine-friendliness.   You need to invest a lot of time on the Hub for this option - but if it works, it will get it Featured again and it will stay Featured, so you won't have to do it again.

The trouble is that for some subjects - like some poems - the second option will just never work.  So if you've tried doing Option 2 and the Hub is still getting unFeatured, you should settle for Option 1 - or give up and move it somewhere else.  That Hub will never get much traffic on HubPages even if you keep re-Featuring it, so there's no point wasting time on it.

11. Hypersapien profile image44
    Hypersapienposted 7 years ago

I really haven't been active on HubPages for a number of years now, but since my hubs were still making moolah (although admittedly not much) I went back and tweaked them not too long ago.  I didn't make any major changes, but the result was that I went from 8 featured hubs to 2.  In short, I can't speak for anyone else, but this is the kind of thing - coupled with the increasing difficulty to drive traffic - that has made me sort of ambivalent about HP as a long-term profit center.

12. Dolores Monet profile image96
    Dolores Monetposted 7 years ago

On revisiting some older hubs, I have noticed mistakes that shock me - misspelled words, backwards words, wrong words. I've seen pictures that I forgot to source. I've also seen hubs that had been gone over by editors or edibots and found words changed into something that makes no sense. For instance in one clothing hub the word "worn" was changed to "worm" several times. We all need to recheck hubs, especially the older ones to make sure that they read easily, that they are formatted nicely, that they don't spew redundant key words, and they are up to date.

I totally agree with you Dolores, some of my original work is appalling! not bad spelling etc but so boring I have no idea why I wrote it! and yes those bots that change words! why do they use them? I thought the whole idea is to write good articles and earn money for us and hubpages. Those bots are a menace!

13. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 7 years ago

If you're a dumbass, then so am I.   I wanted to go and update them recently and I knew there was a central place to do it, but it took me ages to find it.  It never occurred to me that "About the Author"  meant "Bios"!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)