Basic Hub SEO

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (22 posts)
  1. tsmog profile image84
    tsmogposted 8 years ago

What are the 'Key' SEO techniques for a Hub?

Most hubbers seek success for their articles, which leads to success for HP ultimately benefiting all hubbers. For one who is illiterate of SEO practices what five or more techniques would you recommend while if comfortable sharing your success with those.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
      Barbara Kayposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Writer Fox has a good hub about this. Try going to his/her profile and you'll find it. Just put "Writer Fox" in the search bar at the top.

My best advice is to use the keywords of the topic of the hub in the title. Let readers know in the first paragraph what the hub is about. Be sure to share it on Pinterest and other social media sites. Write the best content that you can on the subject and be sure to do your research.

I wish you success here and welcome to the site.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I'm no guru, but here is what I try to do for SEO

I use synonyms to repeat the main keywords in my summary, MFP image, first capsule title, first and last sentences of my hub.

I also try to use them in my image capsules.

I don't always succeed, but at least its something.  Can't tell you if this helps or not, but I don't think it can hurt!

1. tsmog profile image84
          tsmogposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thank you TimeTraveler2. I had not considered synonyms before. I see the importance of the image capsules too.

2. tsmog profile image84

Thank you. I included that article in my home PC folder - SEO practices to be read. I am gathering info to be read.

2. Matthew Meyer profile image70
      Matthew Meyerposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think some of the best general advice is to do extensive SEO research before you start a Hub.
      How competitive is the topic already?
      Is it covered well by major sites?
      Is there unique information that you have on the topic that will make your Hub stand out from other online content on the same topic?

You may find that the subject is already saturated online and that can help determine what topics you would like to cover.

1. tsmog profile image84

Thank You Matthew :-) Those are what I am researching today especially how saturated a 'Topic Theme' is. I have utilized the Hub Topic Tree to discover firstly how well it is covered at HP. Some of the topics I have expertise with is greatly personal experience while those of a professional nature it is experience regarding credibility contrast educational. Not sure how much that plays regarding hubs.

Those considerations above are copy/pasted in my learning file on my home PC. I will use those as a guideline as well as those SEO practices mentioned in this forum stream.

2. LeanMan profile image81
    LeanManposted 8 years ago

There are two things that you need to consider above all else and these are the things that most people fail on;

1. Is anyone searching for your subject and your keywords? If no one is searching for "expose on malpractice in hogwarts kindergarten" then you will not get any visitors. So learn about what keywords are and how to use something like Googles keyword tool to see how many people search for them.

2. How much competition is there for the keywords? Even if there are many thousands of searches for your keywords and its variations if there is a lot of established competition then you are going to be hard pressed to get traffic. So use your keywords and do a Google search and see what is top of the searches on the results. If it is a bunch of sites like Blogger and other small websites then you have a good chance of ranking. However if the top slots (first page of results) are taken by large well established and respected web sites then you have little chance of ranking and getting visitors.

Good luck....

1. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 8 years agoin reply to this

This right here is the foundation of keyword optimization and SEO and the way a person has to operate when writing on the Web (if they are doing it to make money and/or traffic).

1. tsmog profile image84

Thank you NateB11. I easily see keyword usage and organization is a powerful tool for writing. I have not really exercised that in the past learning language usage and etc. firstly. Now, is the time to try to put it all together hopefully.

2. kbdressman profile image60
      kbdressmanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

This is a good summary of keyword optimization, which is pretty darn important to SEO!  I just finished a 3 part series covering a number of SEO techniques and linking to a number of fairly easy to use free online resources you're welcome to check out if they'd be of use to you, tsmog.

1. tsmog profile image84

Thank you kbdressman. I will be placing those article in my home PC folder SEO links to be read. I look forward to the series. :-)

1. kbdressman profile image60
          kbdressmanposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Hope they are of value to you!  You'll have to write a hub about what you learn about SEO as you apply what you learn in your studies and post the link here so we can continue to network, share experience and build off each other's experiences and understanding!

3. tsmog profile image84

Thank you LeanMan :-) I will be researching 'Key Words' much more. I think a strategy of how to write an article based on 'Key Words' would be prudent.

4. gravestream profile image61
      gravestreamposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Thanks LeanMan, very good and up to date advice, I will definitely research more into that.

3. Alternative Prime profile image57
    Alternative Primeposted 8 years ago

Hello tsmog,

There is basic “SEO”, an ambiguously misunderstood phenomena which nobody around here seems to understand, and of course a plethora of circulated “SEOBS” floating around everywhere ~

All of which will be deemed irrelevant anyway if you’re not a Professional Writer with a comprehensive command of the language in the arena in which you publish, Creatively Inclined, and Authoritative ~ The preceding natural attributes and or acquired skills are essential to long term success in this industry regardless of any “Tricks“ attempted to gain readership ~

1. tsmog profile image84

Agreed 'Content is King'! Thank you for the input Alternative Prime. That also is a focus I must work on. Especially English language usage. I have in the past written technical material with work focusing on instructions and procedures. Also, a lot of journal style writing and fiction. Those may not be the style of focus needed. A compromise maybe.

1. Alternative Prime profile image57
        Alternative Primeposted 8 years agoin reply to this

You are welcome tsmog but I have not read any of your articles yet so I was not referring to you directly ~ My post was just an all encompassing general statement for all aspiring literary composers who may be following this thread ~

You could be a brilliant talent for all I know ~ When time permits I’ll take a look at your work ~

4. Suzanne Day profile image93
    Suzanne Dayposted 8 years ago

An alternative viewpoint is to write 2500 words on the topic of your choice, letting it flow naturally.

Then at the end look up keywords and go for most traffic/least competition.

It's not the most productive way to get traffic, but it follows passion and still lets you get found.

Depends on how you want to write that's all. The natural flow way allows all the synonyms under the sun because you don't know what the keywords are until the end.

Just a thought.

1. tsmog profile image84

Thank you Suzanne. That sounds like a real good plan. I like to pound the keys and then edit several times. That may work better for me to insert the keyword or synonyms during the editing.

2. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I agree with Suzanne 100%.   

The idea of using keyword research to choose your subject is fine, if you have a really good understanding of how the tools work and you're able to write on anything and everything.

If you're a beginner, you're just as likely to interpret the results incorrectly and choose the wrong topic, and then no amount of keywords will help you get traffic.

Far better to write about what you know or do real-life research on what people are looking for, write your articles and then look for keywords you can use to improve the Hub.

3. artsofthetimes profile image94
      artsofthetimesposted 8 years agoin reply to this

+1
      My thoughts exactly.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)