Awaiting Panda 5 Redemption - Cargo Cult Ready, Bring it On!

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (34 posts)
  1. janderson99 profile image55
    janderson99posted 8 years ago

There is great expectation that Panda 5 may finally offer redemption for past demerits and penalties.

I have done all I can via a cargo cult: all my hubs have been edited recently and QAP-ed (hopefully?). They are well structured, good quality, topical, with few spelling and grammatical errors IMO.

They are all featured and have been updated in the last month (all fresh). I only have 2 affiliate ads per hub.

My cargo cult has been prepared. It is a cargo cult because no one really knows what Google wants and how it deals with a large site, such as HP. Bring it on! I'm ready!

This will be a defining moment for me and HP. What do you think?

http://www.wotisnew.com/ccult.jpg

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

I think it's great that other writers here are upgrading their work.  I've been doing this forever!  The problem is those writers who don't care or don't want to bother.  If there are too many of them, it won't matter what the rest of us do.

This is an issue I have worried about for some time.  We can fix ourselves, but we can't force others to do the same.  I know the team is now trying to sort the good from the bad, but I fear it is too little too late.  I sure hope I'm wrong.

Don't know when 5 will appear, but hope that when it does, we will prosper.

1. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
        Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"We can fix ourselves, but we can't force others to do the same. "  That is so true - I hope everyone will pay attention and review their hubs often to make quality a priority.

I have always updated my hubs when needed, but in January 2015 I did a major overhaul of my entire site and brought every hub up to par - it took me about four months but, it was worth it.  I keep a close eye on any issues, new features, new rules and will update any hub that needs it asap.

I am so glad you started this thread, janderson, thanks. We all need to focus on being the best we can be.

2. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 8 years ago

I am with you on this one and ready for it. I have author Bios in place, all hubs featured, all hubs in stella mode / mobile friendly. Yep! Bring it on.

3. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 8 years ago

I certainly hope there is a redemption. Would be good news indeed.

4. janshares profile image93
    jansharesposted 8 years ago

I hope so, janderson99. My hubs are in similar shape so I'm as ready as I can be for whatever is coming. I don't think there's much more we can do, except wait. Good luck and blessings to all!

5. profile image0
    Snakesmumposted 8 years ago

Hope you are right, janderson99!   It would be great to have our traffic improve, and earnings rise for a change.
    Like others, I've been updating, and trying to improve my hubs.
    Perhaps we should all pray to the great cargo cult god Google?  :-)

6. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

Panda 5?  What did I miss?

1. relache profile image72
      relacheposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Nothing yet, https://moz.com/google-algorithm-change

Janderson99 is getting ready now to avoid the rush.

2. janderson99 profile image55
      janderson99posted 8 years agoin reply to this

See http://searchengineland.com/google-pand … eks-222243

Paul E is hanging out for it as well (2 false alarms).

7. Jan Saints profile image86
    Jan Saintsposted 8 years ago

Before we start talking about Panda 5, what were the effects of Mobilegeddon & Core Search Algorithm Update on HP?

Mobilgeddon did not seem to bother HP at all.  The other one I'm unaware of.  Some time ago Paul Edmonson made HP a mobile friendly site, so that helped all of us.  What comes next?  Who knows!

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The "other one" had a dramatic effect on HubPages:

http://blog.searchmetrics.com/us/2015/0 … e-phantom/

I don't know how I missed that one, must have been sleeping under a rock or something.  I think it's because I noticed no downward changes on my main subdomain, but I am shocked to see how much HP lost..

If you look at the reasoning, it's pretty obvious that Paul's thinking about upgrading and editing already popular works rather than concentrating all employees on eliminating low grade work is not working.  The team has got to get rid of the garbage or this type of hit will continue to damage us.

I don't understand how they cannot see this.  Paul insists that they are working hard to rid the site of spam, but that is not the only type of content that lowers quality in content.

A 33% loss in ratings and traffic is huge!

One of the problems seems to be 404 errors, of which I and others have many, yet when I checked Google WMT it said not to worry about them.  I don't have the first clue as to how to get rid of them because these are articles I deleted and asked Google to de-index.  Don't know why they're still there, but it's a problem.  Google does not tell us how to eliminate them...anybody know?

8. starme77 profile image78
    starme77posted 8 years ago

updating can be a lot of work if you have a whole lot of hubs. I recently started updating my hubs. I only have 43 of them so I am aiming for 3 or 4 per day as a goal. Panda didn't do much to me so hopefully , with some fresh content I can get past this one as well ")

9. Fiction Teller profile image59
    Fiction Tellerposted 8 years ago

Tentatively seeing a return of one demoted hub today. Not sure if it has something to do with revisions I made a few days ago after it plunged with the recent core algo update, or if this is a Panda.  Stats are also complicated by its being a big holiday week in the U.S.

Anyone else seeing stuff?

10. janderson99 profile image55
    janderson99posted 8 years ago

Update: Panda 5 could be later this week or next week

https://www.seroundtable.com/google-pan … 20538.html

Question:  What's the big deal about Panda 5.  If HP took a 33% loss in ranking and views in that last deal, why in the world are we looking forward to a Panda update?  Seems to me that could make things even worse. What am I missing about this?

Paul E and HP authors are hoping for a redemption - forgiveness and a reversal of past Panda penalties. Paul E has spoken about being 'free of Panda'. That would mean an increase in traffic.

Hope is nice, and I hope his wanting this pays off, but I have some serious doubts.  Still too much garbage on this site, even after so many efforts on the team's part.  It's just too soon...but I hope I'm wrong.  What do you think?

It depends whether lifting the average quality of pages views above a threshold is what is required, which is what HP is trying to do. BUT I suspect that all the poor quality, spammy and grandfathered rule breakers that remained indexed, and get crawled regularly, will still pull the site down in Panda's eyes (as occurred in the past before sub-domains). Hopefully Paul E knows that the former will work. There are some software filters and tests that could be applied overnight to de-feature offending pages, BUT HP shows no interest in doing this despite Panda 5 looming. I feel that this is a mistake - but I hope that I am wrong!. It could be a long wait for redemption via Panda 6 if HP's strategy is ineffective IMO.

What really irks me about this is that Google seems to refuse to recognize the good content that exists on this site and judges us as a whole.  Some say this isn't so, but there is great controversy about this point and so far, I haven't seen any indication that Google sees our subdomains individually, which was Paul's intent originally.

BTW, I just noticed a huge spike in my traffic tonight.  I am wondering if this may possibly be the Panda  update you are discussing here. If so, I may be totally wrong.   Have you noticed this tonight on your stats?

Paul should worry less about angering the poor writers and more about supporting the good ones.  If he did, he would find many of those who left returning to this site to replace those who might leave as the result of this.  If software is available to help him do this, he should take advantage of it.  This site could be great again and never have to worry about Google if all of the content was good, don't you think?

No Quancast is down 10% and my GA is also down (4 July holiday I guess)

Nuts...I was hoping this meant something!

2. Marisa Wright profile image87

I don't know why anyone would think that the average quality of page views is what's required, when we've been told time and time again that the Panda score is based on the worst posts on a site, regardless of the quality of the good ones.

Where did you see this info?  If that's the case, why in the world would Paul think we will catch a break from Google!

1. Marisa Wright profile image87

I've read it so many times over the years since Panda was first launched.

In fact HubPages is well aware of it, because it's the whole reason sub-domains were introduced.  It was felt that poor quality Hubs were  dragging the good quality Hubs down.  There was a need to find a way to quarantine the good quality Hubs, so their Panda score wasn't affected by the rubbish.

The idea was that Google would evaluate each sub-domain individually, so if you were a Hubber with a suite of good quality Hubs, you could get a good Panda score and hence good traffic.   

Although there has always been debate about how sub-domains are treated, that strategy worked - until the most recent major update.  It seems that now, Google is ignoring the sub-domains and treating HubPages as one big site again.

I haven't seen anything that suggests Google has changed the fundamental premise of Panda - that the score is based on the worst posts on your site. 

http://blog.hubspot.com/blog/tabid/6307 … pdate.aspx
                  (The relevant sentence on that page is "Google Panda is a site-wide penalty, which means a few poor quality pages can get your whole site penalized".

http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/google-panda-tips/
                  ("Low value content can cause the algorithm to slap down your entire site even if a great deal of your content is unique and valuable.")

That's exactly what I have been afraid of.  Sitting around and "hoping" that Google will cut us some slack is not the way to deal with this issue.  It's time to "s..t or get off the pot" if HP has any dreams of returning to its former glory.

Every hub...and I mean every...needs to go through QAP as soon as possible.  None of this grandfathering any more!
                    All employees should be dedicated right now to weeding out low quality work here...no exceptions.
                    Every writer should flag low quality hubs, and the team should take immediate action on those flags, rather than making excuses and/or ignoring them.

To do this last thing, the team needs to give very a list of very specific directions so that they do not get bogged down with faulty flags.

For example:

Which curse words are permitted and which are not.
                    Are hubs that have good content but are written in poor English acceptable?
                    What level of nudity is permitted.

All of us should add to this list so the team knows what we want to know.

I am sick and tired of working my butt off and then being dragged down two or three times each year due to Panda, etc. because others here are slackers.

What think you?

11. Mark Ewbie profile image81
    Mark Ewbieposted 8 years ago

Sub domains was a nice idea - it worked for a bit.  But HubPages interlinks the entire site regardless of sub domains.  So we all join up - good, bad, indifferent.

There is no quick fiddle round Panda.

12. Fiction Teller profile image59
    Fiction Tellerposted 8 years ago

I disagree that all grandfathered hubs should be unpublished in a sweeping move. Many of those are still getting significant traffic from Google and significant user engagement. Google likes 'em, users like 'em, and HubPages has more to learn about quality standards.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)