Names For the New Niche Sites

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (22 posts)
  1. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 8 years ago

So have the names for the new niche sites been decided, or are there still brainstorming sessions in progress at Hubpages' HQ to come up with catchy titles?

http://usercontent1.hubimg.com/12870638_f248.jpg

2. Jesse Drzal profile image91
    Jesse Drzalposted 8 years ago

They stated that most sites will be included in the new niche formats. Order, when and other variables have not been disclosed, other than the pet and tattoo sites. Stay tuned.

3. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 8 years ago

I turned myself into a fly and perched on the conference room wall at HP HQ.  This is what I learned about the new niche sites.

butiplayoneontv.com -- a specialty site for all the health hubs authored by hubbers who aren't doctors

buttsgalore.info --  a site with only two articles (i'll let you guess)

squidoo.com -- sexy halloween costume shopping guides

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 8 years agoin reply to this

What makes you think you need to be a doctor to post hubs under the health topic?  Have you read the huge variety of topics?  I know you're only joking here, but if you actually think that, you are way off base.  For example, writing about quality of life issues is one of the subcategories.  You don't have to be a doctor to write about that one.  Also, just how many "doctors" do you really think write here?  A few, perhaps, but not many.  They're too busy being...well, you know...DOCTORS!

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Amateurs writing a couple of articles about some health issue they dealt with personally...that's not a big deal, and not really what I'm talking about.

I'm talking about randos with no medical training who write dozens of articles about medical conditions and foods that magically cure them.

2. justholidays profile image67
      justholidaysposted 8 years agoin reply to this

The sexy halloween costume shopping guides on Squidoo did sell and generate big money for their authors. Now that they're on HP they don't any more... without a big costume display to choose from, the potential customer goes else where.

4. Jesse Drzal profile image91
    Jesse Drzalposted 8 years ago

If I was at the doctor and he was glued to HP forums, wondering about niche sites I would find the nearest exit!

1. profile image0

All the people saying 'what kind of doctor would write on hubpages?' are not disproving my point.  If there are no doctors here then there should be very little medical content here.  Yet there is tons and it is mostly garbage.

Btw, if you want your reply to show up underneath the post you are replying to use this button

http://usercontent2.hubimg.com/12870745_f248.jpg

I always do that...what's the problem?

1. SmartAndFun profile image93
          SmartAndFunposted 8 years agoin reply to this

TT2, look again...
          Calculus-geometry was responding to Jesse Drzal.

oops!  Sometimes it's hard to tell unless people address responses specifically to those who made them.  I know the threading is supposed to work, but it doesn't always get it right.

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
              Marisa Wrightposted 8 years agoin reply to this

I never, ever use "threaded", it's useless.  I have mine set to chronological, then you can see the quote people are replying to.

Today just isn't my day.  I got them mixed up.  Sorry

2. Farkle profile image91
      Farkleposted 8 years agoin reply to this

"If I was at the doctor and he was glued to HP forums, wondering about niche sites I would find the nearest exit!"

He, he, me too! Also a doctor makes enough money that has no need to write for a few dollars a month.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
        DrMark1961posted 8 years agoin reply to this

Farkle, not everyone makes a few dollars a month. You also need to realize that there are plenty of people writing on here for reasons other than money. If you go to an anesthesiologist, and she is writing an artricle to help hundreds of thousands of people deal with how to deal with the after effects of anesthesia, does that make her a bad peson?
        If you are writing about the complications of an extracted tooth, it may help someone. That is a lot better than a few bucks in your paypal account.

5. Chantelle Porter profile image93
    Chantelle Porterposted 8 years ago

I don't read too many medical articles so I can't really comment on the category. I can say, however, that for those of us who have loved ones with incurable diseases with no real medical treatment, can really benefit from the patient stories and suggestions about quality of life issues. I think people who write these kind of articles are very upfront about the fact that they are not doctors, but that with no traditional medical treatment we are all we have.

6. Barbara Kay profile image73
    Barbara Kayposted 8 years ago

A person suffering from a chronic illness has many more tips on dealing with a disease than a medical doctor. I'll give you a for instance that my doctors have told me, " Eat what you can tolerate." After talking to other people with crohns , I would have known what to avoid right away instead of going through terrible pain.

If a person has the disease or has a procedure, they have valuable experience to share. Medical hubs have their place, but WebMd and others will beat them out every time.

+1

2. justholidays profile image67
      justholidaysposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Agreeing here.

But there's more. People also can choose to share their own experience with surgeries for example. Personal experience is something that is searched a lot on the Web.

The anestesiologist who "knows her job" but ended up with a patient awaken during the surgery because the patient should NOT have had that drug to be put asleep. Or the gastric or bypass surgery for weight loss, which is highly dangerous - lots of people are now desperately ill with that kind of surgeries (with reduced life expectancy) - it's important for them to make others aware of its dangers. Yet some doctors still suggest that kind of torture to their obese patients.

And the list goes on...

7. Sue Adams profile image96
    Sue Adamsposted 8 years ago

Most of my hubs are under
    "Health»Personal Health Information & Self-Help»Recovery from Health Problems" and I am not a doctor.

I am a choreologist. My specialty is choreology, a universal non-verbal notation system to study and analyse human body movements and physical behavior. Not many doctors know about choreology yet it helps increase body awareness which can lead to great health benefits.

The whole idea behind my writing is to educate the public in taking responsibility for their own health. That way, they hopefully won't need to see a doctor and swallow pills, and suffer their side effects, and feed the mega pharma crooks who are in the business of keeping us sick so they can sell more drugs.

There! I said it.

1. profile image0

But you are not writing articles that tell people they can cure aids by doing 10 jumping jacks before breakfast. 

There are hubbers writing articles more or less like that.

1. LongTimeMother profile image92
        LongTimeMotherposted 8 years agoin reply to this

Okay, I'll go with your silly example ...

If you knew an aids sufferer who had tried doing those 10 jumping jacks in the manner suggested (and for long enough to actually have experience and genuine feedback), I like to think you'd encourage them to write about it online. Or write about it on their behalf. The more information, the better.

But I think it is wrong for someone who doesn't suffer the actual ailment (and hasn't tried the suggested therapy) to make a judgement call about the potential benefits of such articles.

Medical marijuana is now available in Australia. The recent shift in attitude by scientists and doctors makes it an 'acceptable' therapy option.

But people who wrote online articles about how it helped their specific conditions years ago were not doctors. Were they wrong? No. Despite their suggestions looking as useful as '10 jumping jacks before breakfast', the information they provided was relevant and accurate.

Just because a medical topic doesn't ring true for you, doesn't mean it should be removed. Online articles written by patients and their carers (contrary to mainstream medicine's advice of the day) have helped countless desperate families. Mine included.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)