Stats are way off

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (28 posts)
  1. sparkster profile image85
    sparksterposted 7 years ago

I noticed this many months ago and the problem is still the same now and is measurable. I don't know if this applies to other users also but the stats showing in my account are way inaccurate. For example, after publishing my latest hub, my Blogger stats showed that over 290 users had clicked through to my blog from my latest hub. However, my Hubpages stats are showing that the hub has only been viewed 75 times. I've also given it quite a few days to allow for the stats to be updated and there is no change. I've noticed this very same pattern on many occasions now and it's pretty clear from my observations that stats are not being reported anywhere near correctly.

2. janshares profile image91
    jansharesposted 7 years ago

I recall in a recent forum post someone saying that HP does not count views from social media. Our stats reflect organic traffic from Google, Bing, etc. I 'm not sure about this because I also recall hearing about hubs that went "viral" when posted on Facebook. hmm

1. RonElFran profile image95
      RonElFranposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Jan, HP does count social media views. I have a couple of articles that have received a combined total of more than 100k views mostly from social media, and they are a big part of my overall stats.

1. janshares profile image91
        jansharesposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Okay, thanks.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

The truth is that all page views count in terms of income, but not traffic.  In other words, you could have a post that has thousands of views from social networks but none from Google, and it could become unfeatured due to lack of traffic.  You would get paid for them, but they would no longer be featured so search engines would not be able to find them.

I believe the reason for this is to keep people from "gaming the system" by having all of their fans on social networks click onto their articles.

That's the info I didn't specifically recall. Thanks, TIME.

3. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Social media views are not counted in terms of featuring or unfeaturing articles; that is, you can get unfeatured if all you get is social media traffic because what counts is organic search engine traffic. But social traffic does show up in stats. Once in awhile I'll get a flood of traffic from Facebook because an article was shared and it shows up in stats.

Thanks, NateB11, for clarifying.

3. revolutionbjj profile image90
    revolutionbjjposted 7 years ago

janshares, this is decidedly not true.  Most of my views come from social media.

4. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 7 years ago

Social media views are indeed counted.

5. somethgblue profile image72
    somethgblueposted 7 years ago

Hub Pages has always been way off, I have tracked some of my articles from other tracking sites that have these articles getting as much 3 to 4 times as many visitors. It was explained to me that HP requires visitors to stay on a page for 3 minutes and 50 seconds  for us to qualify for a page view, so realy all out stats should be way higher . . . of course its all about money, so if you are in it for $$$ HP would not be my first option but I don't write for money, so I really don't care!

1. alikhan3 profile image95
      alikhan3posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Can you recall where you read that? 3 minutes and 50 seconds is a lot of time

1. somethgblue profile image72
        somethgblueposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm pretty sure it was from a conversation I had with a long time Hubber but it could have been with an administrator, it used to be only a minute 45 but they upped it because they were paying out too much.

Yeah it is a long time and that is why I make my hubs at least 3,000 words to keep people on the page. I will try and verify that for you and get back to you.

Yes please do so, because that has worried me. If that is indeed the case then I (We) must change our approach to article writing and focus more on visitor interaction.

1. SheilaMilne profile image91
            SheilaMilneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I don't think that can be correct.  My average, according to Google Analytics, over the past year has been only just over 3 minutes, and yet I am still being credited with views, and being paid.

That is why I have asked somethgblue to dig out the facts for us.
              If not three whole minutes then how much?

1. ChristinS profile image39
                ChristinSposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Someone needs to ask staff here directly about this or they need to read this and respond.  That does not in any way sound correct to me.

6. sparkster profile image85
    sparksterposted 7 years ago

Hardly any of my hubs are "unfeatured" so it's definitely not that. Most of my traffic comes from Google but I do also get plenty of social media traffic and yes, it is counted (although not accurately). I can't see how many of these suggestions could be true when HP knows that people can just move their content to their own site or blog and actually get paid genuinely. Why would they do that unless they want to drive their users away? Makes no sense.

1. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hi sparkster,

There are certain factors we take into account. For example, if a reader leaves the page before the ads are done loading, the visit is not counted (because you aren't earning from it).

Also, we do occasionally have bugs with the stats, but earnings are calculated on a separate system and verified very carefully. The stats you see in your account are a courtesy we provide to Hubbers to give an idea of what traffic/earnings will be like, but any issues you see in them will have no effect on your actual earnings.

sparksterposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I'm sorry Christy but they don't reflect that in any way, shape or form. I've been keeping a close eye on this for months, if not getting on for a year now, and earnings are always reflected in the stats regardless of accuracy. In other words, if the stats are inaccurately reported then earnings are also inaccurate. It doesn't take a genius to see this. There is something very wrong here and there has been for a long time now and it doesn't seem to be getting any better, only worse. I am pretty confident that if I removed all my content from here and hosted it on my own site that it would perform ten times better and I am considering doing exactly that. Splitting the site into separate parts with different domains certainly hasn't helped either and is an incredibly silly move in my opinion because it now means that none of those sites are unique and neither is Hubpages - just different parts of the same site with different domain names. That was a dumb move and is not doing any justice, only worsening quality. There is just no integrity to this site any more. I feel I have been wasting my time here and unfortunately I can't see any improvements happening in the foreseeable future.

Calm down sparkster, You know that Hubpages gives us only 60% of impressions and revenue share but after very closely monitoring my account statistics, the actual ratio rests at around 50%, even less then that. 10-20% of impressions are lost 'somewhere', for which the HP learning center says that some people have applied ad blockers.

At least for me their is always a 10-20% discrepancy between reported stats and actual stats for Ad Program.

Hope that is also the case with you, Although I have never found major discrepancy in reported statistics in My account on HP.

Not to forget that HP stats always report less impressions when compared with google analytics! (This I have never understood why)

Again for Us, each impression is hard earned and it matter.

sparksterposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Don't tell me to calm down. I am already calm. There are tons of things I could complain about here lately, the entire site has been going downhill rapidly in a myriad of ways for the last year or so and is dying a death but I haven't even delved into any of that and already you're telling me to calm down. I have enough personal experience in this area that even taking everything you've stated into consideration that it still doesn't add up. Nowhere near it. It's becoming beyond a joke.

Then mail the screenshots to HP staff straight away.

2. revolutionbjj profile image90
              revolutionbjjposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Calmer than you are.

7. Chriswillman90 profile image91
    Chriswillman90posted 7 years ago

What's going on with the stats now, it looks like they just glitched back.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image84
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 7 years agoin reply to this

The team must be getting ready for an update again or something.  Numbers are totally different now from where they were an hour or so ago.  They'll fix it...soon I hope!

1. somethgblue profile image72
        somethgblueposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Yeah it looks like I lost about 350 page views.

8. C.V.Rajan profile image60
    C.V.Rajanposted 7 years ago

When a ship is sinking, don't ask why breakfast was not served in time.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)