jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (8 posts)

I'd like feedback on my Hub: The Faithful Cocker Spaniel - There's So Much More

1. jamesplee profile image80
    jamespleeposted 3 weeks ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my Hub The Faithful Cocker Spaniel - There's So Much More Behind Those Floppy Ears (must be signed in to view). What can I do to improve? Thanks!

1. theraggededge profile image94
      theraggededgeposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

Hi James,

Love the images, and what a gorgeous girl.

The problem, I think is that your hub is trying to do too many things. For a start it's not 'written to the title'. The title promises that the article will be about the Cocker Spaniel breed, but you write about general dog info instead. Apart from one short paragraph, you barely mention anything that's specific to the breed. This makes the article very 'thin', and for anyone searching for information on Cockers... well they will be disappointed and will probably press the 'back' button.

By all means include the stories of Cassidy, but everything else you write should be related to Cockers - unless you are prepared to change the title and make the hub completely about her.

I think you should remove the Amazon capsules for the time being. It's kind of obvious how you worked them into the article so that it seems like some kind of sales pitch. I'd also take out the recipe - that's not relevant to the title either - you could use it in another hub about feeding dogs.

Hope that helps.

jamespleeposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

OK, I removed everything that wasn't part of the story and changed the title.  I intended this to be a story.  It's the first one I did and got to playing around with the features.  I will say, i see mostly sales pitches when I read other things on hub pages though.

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
          Marisa Wrightposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

Stories are fine, but they have to go into the Creative Writing category.   The Dogs category is for articles that provide useful information about dogs.

If you wrote a story about Cassidy and her life, and put it in Creative Writing, it would very likely get approved.

Thank you.  Now I know where I need to be.  I think I'll rewrite the piece differently and put it in the short story category.

2. DrMark1961 profile image90
    DrMark1961posted 3 weeks ago

Okay, just saw this forum post so I guess you do not want to continue with the other one.
    -The second Amazon capsule is what they are calling spammy. It does not have anything to do with Cocker Spaniels, just dogs in general.
    A lot of the post is just a personal blog about Cassidy. HP is looking to publish magazine style articles, not just blogs.
    Your article mentions nothing about why Cockers are faithful.
    Why not change the title, change the layout to discuss what you feel are the health benefits and dangers of excessive exercise in Cockers, etc. If you want to add a recipe for dog trail mix, what does that have to do with the rest of the article?
    I liked your photo drawings of Cassidy. Good luck with this.

It was the first time for me, so I got distracted playing around with everything that's in the editor.  I removed everything not pertinent and changed the title.  magazine article isn't what I was going for.  More of a story I guess.

1. theraggededge profile image94
        theraggededgeposted 3 weeks ago in reply to this

Trouble is, HP wants information-rich, magazine-style articles, not pieces that would be better on a personal blog.

I'm sure you have seen some spammy hubs - some are awful. Most of them are quite old now as Hubpages is busy weeding out the rubbish.

This might help you: https://hubpageshelp.com/content/Learni … tellar-Hub

Edit: so might this: https://hubpageshelp.com/content/Learni … at-content

working