New Network Site Design

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (52 posts)
  1. Christy Kirwan profile image91
    Christy Kirwanposted 7 years ago

Awesome news! Our Network Sites are getting a fantastic makeover. Please check out the blog post to read up on the details.

1. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Very cool! Love how you folks keep improving things around here, look forward to seeing how it all turns out.

Just checked out an article on Tatring, looks awesome!

2. kenneth avery profile image79
      kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@Christy, does your post include me?

3. sallybea profile image97
      sallybeaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

:Love the new design but a shame about no twitter feed as this is something I use every day.  It never worked as it should though as it would have been better if you could add an image.  I remember asking for a Flipboard button so am glad to see that.

1. L.M. Hosler profile image91
        L.M. Hoslerposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Can you explain what the Flipboard is, what it does and how to use it. I had never heard of it before.

1. sallybea profile image97

I don't think I could explain it better than Glen Stok https://letterpile.com/writing/content-sharing-magazine

1. SakinaNasir53 profile image94
            SakinaNasir53posted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you sallybea for posting this article here...I never heard of Flipboard before...but now I know what it is about...☺

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
            Glenn Stokposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing this Sally, much appreciated.  I put a lot of effort into writing this about Flipboard to help other Hubbers.

You are very welcome Glen.

4. SakinaNasir53 profile image94

Love the new designs!

5. Margaret Schindel profile image94
      Margaret Schindelposted 7 years agoin reply to this

I like the clean, modern design a lot, Christy, as well as the prominent social sharing buttons!

Is there a reason you chose not to include Twitter among those?

Thanks and well done, HubPages Team!

I was wondering about Twitter too. I sometimes get significant traffic from Twitter.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97

The one thing I found with Twitter is that the traffic dies down quickly for any particular tweets, but Flips on Flipboard seem to bring periods of improved traffic. Some old flips randomly (and all of a sudden) bring new life to hubs. I never saw that happen with old Tweets.

Glen, I just wondered if you are deleting hub flips which you flipped a while back and then re-flipping them today as if they were a fresh hub flip?
            Would there be any benefit or any negative outcome from doing this?

I only deleted and re-flip when my hubs are moved to niche sites. Even though the URL redirects anyway, it's still better to re-fliip because it gets tagged better once it's in a niche site.

As for re-flipping the same URL just for the sake of being fresh, I found that we still have that old problem we all talked about when it first started–Flipboard caches the information on their server and they reuse the old data when you re-flip the same URL. So it serves no purpose.

That is useful to know that Glen, thanks.  I tried it once or twice but these days I just wait for a Hub to move to the niche site before I bother to flip it.

2. NateB11 profile image89

I've been neglecting my Flipboard account. I'll have to visit it again.

Edit: Although I will say that I'm getting traffic from Twitter from other people. I hardly ever post my own work on social media.

2. Christy Kirwan profile image91
        Christy Kirwanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Good question. We chose not to include Twitter because it has historically resulted in the least traffic and shares across all articles out of all the sharing options. We were already getting a lot more traffic from Flipboard than Twitter and wanted to capitalize on that to encourage readers to Flip articles more often. smile

As I understand it, there is no point in flipping articles which have not yet been moved as they won't be indexed, is that correct Christy?

I believe there was some issue where Flipboard marked HubPages as spam in the past due to the wide range of content and the fact that the site's overall quality used to be considerably lower than it is today. You are welcome to try sharing articles from HubPages, but I'm not certain it will work.

Most of us have been delaying posting new hubs to Flipboard because of this issue.  We tend to only post once the hub has been selected and moved to a Niche Site.

2. CatherineGiordano profile image78
              CatherineGiordanoposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Christy Kirwin: Maybe HubPages could work something out with FllpBoard to get them to accept hubs with high hub scores even if they are not moved to a niche site. I have dozens of hubs with scores in the 90's and high 80's that have not been moved.  Or maybe they could accept hubs from writers with high hubber scores.

My new hubs usually get moved to a niche site right away or within 3 weeks. As for my older hubs, they can only be submitted once every 2 months. so it's a long wait. Some of my older hubs have been found by HP and moved. In other cases, a hub only gets moved when I submit it. I also think some of my good hubs that might do well on FlipBoard might not be a good fit with any of the niche sites.

Some of my hubs have done great when I posted them to FlipBoard. Others got only a views. But I would very much like to have the opportunity to get a shot at having a hub "catch fire" on FlipBoard.

I can flip hubs (my non-niche hubs) to FlipBoard, but they don't get indexed (only niche hubs get indexed) and if they are not indexed they don't get views.

It seems a simple program could separate the wheat from the chaff.

2. Margaret Schindel profile image94
          Margaret Schindelposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thanks very much for the explanation, Christy!

6. SakinaNasir53 profile image94

Where is the author's bio placed on PetHelpful.com? I am not able to see that...

It's still on the right side as it's always been. PetHelpful is not completely updated yet. It will eventually be on top.

Thanks a lot Glenn! I saw the drop down ⬇ arrow which showed the author's bio.

Oh, I did't realize you were talking about using a mobile phone. That ⬇ is only on mobile. And yes, it was implemented already. But on desktop view the bio is still on the right side on all sites except TatRing. When Christy mentioned that it will take a few weeks, I imagine that means the bio will be moved to the top on desktop view for all sites eventually. Maybe if Christy sees this she can confirm that.

Yes, that is correct, Glenn. It will take another couple weeks for all the sites to get the fully-responsive article design including the social sharing options on mobile, the new author bio, etc. smile

7. Ashish Dadgaa profile image46
      Ashish Dadgaaposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@Christy Kirwan,

Thank you so much for informing us regarding new design of network sites.

It is looking elegant and friendly. Text, design, and color selection is soothing to eyes.

Thank you for making HubPages better smile

Regards,
      Ashish

8. Araaz profile image59
      Araazposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thats a very good thing

9. simplehappylife profile image67
      simplehappylifeposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Awesome work!  Thank you!   Where did the twitter share buttons go?

2. Jayne Lancer profile image92
    Jayne Lancerposted 7 years ago

TatRing is looking very good. A great improvement, especially the menu.

3. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 7 years ago

Love it! and love the colors!

4. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 7 years ago

I love it and feel lucky. The sites that feature my hubs

Caloriebee
    Owlcation
    Healdove

feature the new design already.

Lookup your vertical hubs, are many other sites ready?

feltMagnet is ready too

It's not compete yet. The author bio is still on the right side. Only TatRing has the bio on top already.

Christy said in her blog that it will be completed within the next  few weeks.

Oops, I missed that, apologies.

2. lobobrandon profile image89
      lobobrandonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Dengarden too

5. EricDockett profile image96
    EricDockettposted 7 years ago

I guess I'm alone here, but I'm not liking it at all. All of that white and those soft grays look weak, especially for the sub-headers, and the red accents make it look like a bad free WordPress theme.

The sharp contrast of the black and white, as before with the stripe on top and the font of the H2s, looks strong and suggests authority. In fact, I'd like to see the call-out boxes black instead of gray. All of the white and grays has a washed-out look and seems weak and wimpy.

I don't mean to complain but I assume you are looking for constructive feedback, so there it is.

I guess I'll get used to it. smile

Edit: I guess the H2s are more like a soft blue (?). Hard for me to tell, apparently. Still prefer black, but when I zoom in it looks a little better. smile

6. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 7 years ago

I love the new design and layout. I think it will help a great deal once it's implemented on all the niche sites. I especially like how the author bio is at the top now, since I believe many readers missed it when it was on the right. Unfortunately, I see many Hubbers are still not creating bios.

The addition of the share button for Flipboard is great, and I'm not going to miss Twitter. I have found Flipboard to bring an awful lot more traffic than Twitter ever did anyway. Lately I've been focusing more on sharing in Flipboard anyway–not only my own hubs, but others as well. I even made a separate magazine to flip other Hubber's hubs. 

For what it's worth, I've found that Flipboard works best for niche sites. It seems that hubs on the main site don't get tagged properly and don't get much traffic. But for niche sites, Hubbers should really consider using Flipboard.

7. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 7 years ago

Okay, up to date now. Thanks. I guess I need to get with the Flipboard program. One more thing . . .

8. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 7 years ago

Can I report a design bug? On Pethelpful and Exemplore the top horizontal menu bar has category choices that are cut off.  I can only see the full horizontal menu if I zoom out a lot.  I am using Chrome on a Macbook and PC laptop. This might be happening on other sites, I only checked these two.  However, I can access the full menu of subtopics by clicking the "more" option on the left.

Otherwise, I also like the new designs.

This is intentional. Many of the sites have more categories than can be displayed there, which is why we added the More button with the full browsing options.

1. profile image0
        calculus-geometryposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for clarifying that.

9. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 7 years ago

Just a personal preference really, but I had to look a really long time for a search bar. I use search a lot, so I was disappointed that it was so hard to find. However, perhaps not a lot of people use search, so maybe not a bad thing... Just a thought.

10. kenneth avery profile image79
    kenneth averyposted 7 years ago

Oops. I did not realize that this was a closed discussion. But before
    I vanish, "Merry CHRISTmas to Everyone and families here on HP"

Merry Christmas

1. kenneth avery profile image79
        kenneth averyposted 7 years agoin reply to this

@Sakina, "Thank you sincerely, sweet friend."

11. ChristinS profile image39
    ChristinSposted 7 years ago

It looks great except for one issue, the orange underlines on the links look awful. sorry.  I'd switch to a different color to highlight links and don't use an underline, at least not a bold orange one.

12. alexadry profile image95
    alexadryposted 7 years ago

I just noticed it, I really love it. It looks much better and the layout looks well organized.

13. kenneth avery profile image79
    kenneth averyposted 7 years ago

Dec. 14,
    I am so, so sorry, Hubbers. This makes the second stupid blunder I have made concerning this forum. I received a notice of a comment left on it, but had forgotten that this was the same forum that I stumbled into not so long ago--and with scrolling, I found my first accidental entrance.
    Again, pro-hubbers, I am so sorry.
    But everyone have a Very Merry CHRISTmas anyway  smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)