What is up with all the red lines?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (54 posts)
  1. JoannaBlackburn profile image84
    JoannaBlackburnposted 6 years ago

I got back on here this evening and all of my article titles are underlined red, so I did a violation check and it came back no violations.  I'm looking around for answers and I am seeing an overwhelming amount of red lines.  The red color messes with my eyes and makes it hard to read, so what could be causing all these red underlines?  Is anyone else having this issue?

1. Christy Kirwan profile image93
      Christy Kirwanposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your feedback, everyone! We have removed the red underlining.

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
        TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

Kristy:

Please go back to the old format.  This one just does not work for me, and I suspect it doesn't work for other people either.  Takes too much time to find info.  Not fun!

2. JoannaBlackburn profile image84
        JoannaBlackburnposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Thank you for letting us know.

3. Glenn Stok profile image97
        Glenn Stokposted 6 years agoin reply to this

No Christy.  The red titles on green background are still there for the column headings when you sort any column. This is impossible to see for colorblind people. And when I try to read it burns my eyes.

It was only fixed for the hub titles.

4. sallybea profile image95
        sallybeaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

What was the reasoning behind these changes?  Personally, I think the 'Legend' looks much better full width across the page.

1. makingamark profile image70
          makingamarkposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Agreed - and at the top it would be even more useful! I've always wonder how many hubbers with lots of hubs never ever realise it's there!

2. Matt Wells profile imageSTAFF
      Matt Wellsposted 6 years agoin reply to this

The orange underlines in your account statistics page have been removed. They lines indicated the article titles were links, not errors.

2. Glenn Stok profile image97
    Glenn Stokposted 6 years ago

They changed the format. But I have the same problem with red as you do. I'm red/green colorblind. It also happens when I try to change the sort on any column. The column title becomes impossible to see against the grey background (or is it a green background?).

That was a bad move and I hope HubPages fixes this. The color combination was a bad choice. Red/green Colorblindness is a common thing, mostly among men.

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Glen, my column titles are white on a green background.  The only red is the underline where there is a link.

1. Glenn Stok profile image97

Click the titles to sort any column and you'll see what I'm talking about.

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
          Jean Bakulaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

There's a black pencil in front of all the titles, I guess to edit the hub? I don't like the colors. The headings are the light teal and orange that I never liked in the niche sites. They are too light to be titles, they need to be darker or bolder, even if they keep the odd colors. They don't look right on a site that is trying to become more serious.

And if these colors trigger color blindness as Glenn says, they need to be changed anyway.

Jean, I was actually talking about the column titles. Not the hub titles. They disappear for colorblind people when you sort by column. I think not many people know you can sort by any column info.

Nevertheless, I agree with what you said about the new color scheme in general.

2. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Got it!  Mousing over the title turns it red on a green background.  Couldn't be worse, could it?

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Since this post is in the section of the forum not monitored by staff, maybe you need to report that problem formally in one of the staff-monitored sections?  It's important as you're far from the only color blind person in the world!

Thanks Marisa, I just followed up here with whomever started this thread. I'll bring it to the attention of staff.

Thank you, I haven't figured out where to go to post for the staff.

"Technical Questions Discussions" is the place the staff monitors. I notified the team about this forum, so we'll see what they say about all this.

2. makingamark profile image70

@JoannaBlackburn - which says a whole lot, methinks, about how effective the new navigation is for users!

3. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 6 years agoin reply to this

I think the whole thing was a bad move.  I'm having a lot of problems navigating this section.  Wish they would change it back asap.  Don't like it at all.

I agree 100%.  Now I find myself wasting time searching for links to get around. The forum link is the worst. It's Ike HubPages doesn't want people using their forums anymore.

And the notifications pull down tab is no longer available on the new formatted pages. This is sorely missed.

1. ChristinS profile image38
          ChristinSposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yep, this whole thing is the pits - not pleased at all with how it looks, how it doesn't line up and how hard it is to navigate now.

One can't help but think this design was:
          - designed and coded by people who don't have a clue about how people operate their accounts!
          - NOT beta tested with hubbers who actually use HubPages!

3. MEDerby profile image74
    MEDerbyposted 6 years ago

Mine are all underlined in red as well.

4. Dana Abbott profile image61
    Dana Abbottposted 6 years ago

Hi! My articles all have the same red underline. I am new to the site so I am wondering what this means. Can anyone enlighten me? Thank you in advance!

5. profile image0
    threekeysposted 6 years ago

Me too! All my article titles are underlined in red. Can anyone explain?

6. janshares profile image94
    jansharesposted 6 years ago

It looks unfinished. Maybe it's a trial run.

1. janshares profile image94
      jansharesposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Scrolling makes me dizzy. Maybe it's me. I've never gotten used to the new color scheme of the niche sites. I feel like I have to squint so I don't miss anything.

Glad to see it's not just me.

7. Mamerto profile image90
    Mamertoposted 6 years ago

I first thought I have a violation when I saw the red line. But then it's just the change of format.

Thank you, I'm glad it wasn't just me.  I have only been on here for two months and am still finding my way around.  I just spend most of my time writing.

No - it's just the total lack of explanation in the legend down the bottom - and the failure to announce the new dashboard.

It's as if somebody hit the "publish" button and then went on holiday....

8. Misfit Chick profile image75
    Misfit Chickposted 6 years ago

I've suggested the same few things - especially the colors, yikes. The red underlines are kind of annoying. What is it about that teal color? I really don't like it - LoL!

They seemed to also have narrowed the columns - I suddently have a bunch of paragraphs with hanging 'widows' - neat.

They keep going without hearing as if they know exactly what they are doing. *shrug*

1. Jean Bakula profile image93
      Jean Bakulaposted 6 years agoin reply to this

And once Hubpro has passed through, can't they get rid of those green pencils? Apparently I don't proofread as well as I thought I did. It just clutters up the page.

9. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 6 years ago

I'm less bothered about the red lines.

I'm more bothered by the fact that a dashboard which was actually speedy to use now seems to be much more difficult to use.

I particularly dislike the changes to the topline menu - it would appear somebody has lost sight of drop down menus....

1. theraggededge profile image95
      theraggededgeposted 6 years agoin reply to this

Yes, where's the link to the forums? I can see it on from the earnings tab, but not from the main account page.

You wait - the earnings tab will be redesigned next!

2. Glenn Stok profile image97

The forums link is all the way down at the bottom now after you click MORE. It's as if they want to lower the importance of the forums. Sure looks that way! I hope not.

10. Uzma Shaik profile image61
    Uzma Shaikposted 6 years ago

I'm new to this site and seeing the red lines i am wondering what this means, and i have noticed that all the links are probably marked as red and it kind of causes disturbance while reading.

11. profile image0
    pen promulgatesposted 6 years ago

All my articles in my account section show the red lines.

12. makingamark profile image70
    makingamarkposted 6 years ago

I'm not sure why people are asking the question about the red lines....

The red lines are LINKS - that's the new design convention on the HubPages website

It means that there is a live link to the site of that hub for editing purposes.

Personally I think it might be helpful to some to have some sort of distinction made between hubs which are LIVE AND PUBLISHED and  hubs in draft / needs an edit (as we used to have)

The reason I asked, is because its not just on the links.  Even when I log out, I find read lines that weren't there before.  Before yesterday there was no red lines under my titles, but are now that my traffic is increasing.  I just wanted to make sure I hadn't done something wrong.  Thank you for posting.

The red lines under the titles is what people are referring to.

If you look at any of your HUBS in published mode you will note that they too have RED LINES UNDER THE LINKS.

It's design feature - to tell people what's a live link.

If you're not using a lot of links in your hubs you're probably less aware of this. However they have been around for some time. I always have a ton of links in my compendium hubs so that's why they don't phase me!  After I got used to them when they first appeared in the new design format for hubs that is! smile

13. viryabo profile image93
    viryaboposted 6 years ago

The edit 'pencils' are horrible and hurt my eyes. They are too large and make the page unnecessarily busy.

14. Kenna McHugh profile image91
    Kenna McHughposted 6 years ago

They need to fix it. This is crazy.

15. RJ Schwartz profile image87
    RJ Schwartzposted 6 years ago

I think most of the formatting changes HP has made in the last 6 months have been in the wrong direction - I feel like I'm using two different sites at some moments.

Yeah, like we're caught in transition.

16. ChristinS profile image38
    ChristinSposted 6 years ago

the red underlined links are absolutely horrendous and hard on the eyes.  I don't know what the thinking is around here sometimes, but wow, why can't we have the old, easy to read account page back? It's not like outsiders are viewing those pages.  I can't stand the retina burning colors on the niche sites, but I was fine with it until it was brought to the account page too.  Ugh - just BAD.

17. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 6 years ago

Red underlining gone, nice!.... Now if only the column titles were lined up with the columns (can't stand misalignment) plus use right justification for figures in columns (isn't this the usual for values in tables?). Pencil icons seem all the rage as a symbol for editing, but  there are just too many of them. Maybe it could just say "double click to edit" or just use smaller or faded icons?

didn't it use to SAY edit where there is no the edit icon?

You're right - somebody in design does not understand that the NORMAL CONVENTION FOR NUMBERS is a right alignment

18. Jan Saints profile image86
    Jan Saintsposted 6 years ago

Actually, the lines were orange not red! smile

19. Dasia Toston profile image46
    Dasia Tostonposted 6 years ago

That is weird the new changes include the title underline in red making you think something is wrong when all alone its perfectly fine...

That's because they previously used a red overlay for hubs which had problems!

You'd have thought somebody would have explained.

I actually found the colour overlays more helpful than the icons at spotting hubs with problems very quickly.

20. Will Apse profile image87
    Will Apseposted 6 years ago

I'm such a goody two shoes it would never occur to me that a red line meant I had done bad.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)