jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (15 posts)

Are direct download links allowed?

1. Susan Ng profile image89
    Susan Ngposted 8 years ago

Is it all right to put a direct download link in a hub or is that considered as promoting an illegal activity? yikes  I wanted to add a link to where some songs mentioned in my article can be downloaded directly.

2. icewave5 profile image60
    icewave5posted 8 years ago

i think direct links are fine, i use them as well... its the same as links to websites. Maybe not direct links to copyrighted songs.

3. Susan Ng profile image89

Aren't all songs copyrighted? yikes

1. nicomp profile image60
      nicompposted 8 years ago in reply to this

A copyright doesn't imply that the protected property can't be freely distributed. An author can copyright his/her work, then choose to give it away.

Susan Ngposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I see... smile

2. freelanceworld profile image60
      freelanceworldposted 8 years ago in reply to this

No. But most are.
      Still as rightly said by Nicomp above.
      Copyright'd songs can also be downloaded freely, without any illegal angle to it, condition being if author thinks so.

So cutting it short, You can post any download link but read the "Terms" of the copyright holder before posting.

Illegal stuff  sharing/download links to them are not allowed.
      Thats what i have learned till now.

Cheers

The Rapidshare direct download link I wanted to put is for a compilation of Japanese anime themes, and I have no idea who the copyright holders are.  So what happens if we get caught posting an illegal link?  What effect does that have on our Hubpages account and Adsense account?  Do we get banned? yikes

1. freelanceworld profile image60

try searching from where those themes originated? or something like that.
          Or simply, you can write, where from you got those... without any need of download links & stuff.

Regarding getting caught while posting..that wont happen.
          will get caught after posting while hub review/post review/ or flagging/reporting by sm1 tongue

Yes..think so...account is in danger...or may be some warning for some1 with triple nelson fans (222) & 98 hubscore smile

4. Susan Ng profile image89

I was thinking of putting a direct download link to Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X) Best Theme Collection in one of my hubs.  That would probably be illegal, huh? tongue

5. Uninvited Writer profile image82
    Uninvited Writerposted 8 years ago

It might not be illegal but I would not click on a link to download something from HubPages, too many chances to get a virus. I'm not saying you would do it, but I can see unscrupulous people doing that.

1. Everyday Miracles profile image92
      Everyday Miraclesposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Susan, if you look at my Wordpress pages, do they look like direct links to you, or do you hover? I give the link to the download page but if people are confused, I might need to fiddle with my wording. TIA!

Hi, Everyday Miracles. Where can I find your Wordpress pages?  Uh, and what does TIA mean? yikes

2. Susan Ng profile image89

I wouldn't download from shady sites either, but HubPages is more reputable than most websites people download stuff from, Uninvited Writer. smile  And I've come to trust Rapidshare direct downloads, which is the link I wanted to put. smile

6. Susan Ng profile image89

I don't think I'm taking that chance. *chicken!* Hehe. tongue And I don't know if people can find it on rapidshare if I don't provide the specific path; I don't see a search bar over there. yikes It's a shame though, I downloaded the themes and they blew me away. big_smile

1. freelanceworld profile image60

well... one can search rapidshare too..ways are out  there..But i really dont know what the policy of Hubpages staff on Links referring indirectly to such content (In this case though... you are not even sure its copyrighted and not allowed for distribution)

a email to a mod may help

Cheers smile

working