Should Foster Homes be kept as an option instead of a compulsion?

1. anjalichugh profile image88
    anjalichughposted 7 years ago

As per US Law, the State takes the custody of a minor child whose parents, for any reason (imprisonment or death), are not there to take care of him. From there the child is placed in some so-called suitable foster home till he attains the age of majority. Statistics say that in 90% of cases such children get exposed to physical, mental, sexual and psychological abuse. I wonder if there could be a better option for such hapless kids which could help them carve a better future for themselves instead of living with lifelong bruises on their psyche. I welcome all suggestions here.

1. 61
      Blackngoldbananaposted 7 years ago in reply to this

This is just a thought...but I know in my state, the foster parents are paid a fairly large sum every month to raise the foster child.  Unfortunately, many people look on this as a windfall and take the child in just for the money.  The state is so desperate to find foster homes that they don't want to see this.  I don't know if there can be a solution to this problem.  Also, the kids themselves bring baggage that spurs on the physical abuse...its just one nasty cycle and there are so few families that have the psychological resources to deal with these kids.  I know a woman who raised three daughters of her own and is now raising three foster kids.  She is doing a wonderful job and the kids are thriving, but I am sure there are still scars that will take time to heal.

1. anjalichugh profile image88
        anjalichughposted 7 years ago in reply to this

You're right. Money is another factor here. I know such children do come with a baggage and most of the times it is difficult to deal with them, considering their past experiences. The fact remains that the 'healing' in such cases usually takes a lot of time and it depends on the foster parents' capacity to love the kids and it won't be far from truth to state that the 'capacity to love' has to be enormous in order to navigate through..