jump to last post 1-7 of 7 discussions (15 posts)

Is It Fans Or Friends?

1. fierycj profile image83
    fierycjposted 8 years ago

I know we fan and get fanned on Hubpages. But what is it really? Fans or friends? For me, its more like friends. Cos I sure as hell dont feel superior to anyone thats fanning me. I try to read a vast array of hubs and just generally try to get a feel of what hubbers are thinking. There're are a lot of people I've come to admire here. People with intelligence, passion - pardon the use of the phony word, and a great sense of humour. You want a friend like that, no kidding!

1. Drew Breezzy profile image81
      Drew Breezzyposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Thats cool! I just hate people who fan everyone in an attempt to promote themselves.

fierycjposted 8 years ago in reply to this

Yeah, Everyday Miracles mentioned the Fanning Spree. Crazy stuff.

2. anjalichugh profile image88
      anjalichughposted 8 years ago in reply to this

'..- pardon the use of the phony word, and a great sense of humour. You want a friend like that, no kidding!'

I'm sorry if I didn't understand. Was that in an ironical way or you actually meant it ?

fierycjposted 8 years ago in reply to this

You kidding me? Those are qualities you want in a friend. No irony.

1. anjalichugh profile image88

I have met some really wonderful people here and I've become friends with them too. We keep exchanging offline messages as well. There's nothing wrong in fanning people. Who knows....we might just end up finding a real pearl somewhere deep down if we take a plunge. smile

1. Jane@CM profile image61
            Jane@CMposted 8 years ago in reply to this

I hope I find that pearl smile

1. anjalichugh profile image88

Sure you would. Keep going. smile

2. profile image0
    Janettaposted 8 years ago

Its both
    Often it starts as fans and becomes friends

3. profile image0
    annvansposted 8 years ago

I am a fan of anyone who has hubs that I like or of anyone who is a fan of mine and I do not care who hates me because I say that or do that.

4. Marisa Wright profile image95
    Marisa Wrightposted 8 years ago

Personally, I think it should be fans, not friends.  I only join the fan club of people whose writing I genuinely like. 

That doesn't mean I don't become friends with some of them, but that friendship is made in the forums, not through fanning.

1. Davinagirl3 profile image60
      Davinagirl3posted 8 years ago in reply to this

I agree with Marisa.  I fan a person if I like their work.  I use the word "fan" because it helps differentiate, in my mind, Hubpages with the "social networking" sites.  I do have some friends here, but we all didn't start out as friends... We were fans of each others' work.

5. Lady_E profile image82
    Lady_Eposted 8 years ago

Fans, then maybe Friends.

I have met some lovely people here though, that I will stay in contact with for a while.

6. profile image0
    IĆ°unnposted 8 years ago

I think of it maybe not quite as friends, until we get to know each other but fans is a misnomer too.  I think more, a connection, a mutual reaching out.  Yes, more on equal terms.

7. Pete Maida profile image59
    Pete Maidaposted 8 years ago

I think was have a mutual admiration for each other.  I don't know if I would call it freindship though I would be proud to be a friend of anyone here.  I think it is like a professional relationship which is anchored by respect.  I think most of the jabs in the forums are in fun and most people take them that way.

working