Is Home work is good or bad for kids

Jump to Last Post 1-19 of 19 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Lgali profile image58
    Lgaliposted 14 years ago

Is Home work is good or bad for kids?

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

sorry didnt get it the first time, yes homework is good for children, as they become more responsible

2. aware profile image69
      awareposted 14 years agoin reply to this

bad idea  i think.

3. Lady_E profile image63
      Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It's good but, it doesn't have to be every day. (maybe thrice a week).
      Give their little minds a break. smile

2. visitmaniac profile image61
    visitmaniacposted 14 years ago

Good in a way however schools do seem to go a bit overboard with the homework at times and turn an 8 hour day of school into a 12 hour day of nothing but school and work. It's good to a point.

3. profile image0
    mtsi1098posted 14 years ago

homework is good unless there is an unrealistic amount of it

4. TINA V profile image67
    TINA Vposted 14 years ago

I believe that homework is good in 2 ways:
    1. it trains and disciplines the child to become more responsible
    2. it develops a bond between the parent and child to help and do things together

1. Lgali profile image58
      Lgaliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

very nicely said

5. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

The only class I ever wanted homework in was Sex Ed.  Never happened though.

6. profile image0
    TMinutposted 14 years ago

There's way too much homework when a child is spending almost every day from waking to bedtime around schoolwork. Adults that do that are warned about being workacoholics and taught to remember the other people in their lives. Knowing that spending a day with my son out and about or taking a weekend to go on a trip will ruin his grades in school is ridiculous!

I always like for there to be some homework so I can see what he's doing and how well he is learning, but there's a limit and school goes way beyond it.

7. Madfun profile image60
    Madfunposted 14 years ago

In all the years I was at school, I dont think i benefited from homework at all. It just put more stress on me as it was as I was bullied at the time.

Then theres the occasions when I have forgotten to do it and panicked, didnt sleep etc

So a bad from me

Rob

8. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Depends on the child.

My oldest did do home work almost non - stop, she is a perfectionist and would settle for nothing less than a perfect 4.0.

My youngest, spends maybe an hour a day (if that) on homework, with the same classes as my daughter had & is about a 3.8 student.

After my daughter went through middle school and then high school I thought life would continue to be miserable with homework when my son entered MS, he is now in 8th grade & there is no repeat of what we went through with our daughter.

Different kids, different study habits, different goals.

9. Dolores Monet profile image95
    Dolores Monetposted 14 years ago

A reasonable amount of homework helps a kid remember the lessons learned during class. I found this out when I started to actually do homework. Studying helps too.

10. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Homework- Is good or bad for kids?

This question is ridiculously foolish. It can only be good.

Homework is extra work from school, the place where they learn to gain knowledge. I would think that it's a parent's moral obligation to their children, to help them learn everything they can, so they are better suited for the challenges that await them.

The simple fact that there are people who think this is bad, is absurd, to say the least. And, it undermines the learning process of children, as well, as stunting their potential for growth. Not to mention, the parents are also stunting their own growth, for not spending more time with their children, trying to help them with their homework, or be willing to provide some emotional encouragement in their own child.

My outlook is from the position, no knowledge is bad regardless of age. It's all good.

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

big_smile

11. jayjay40 profile image67
    jayjay40posted 14 years ago

I work at a school and homework makes such a huge difference to their grades. Children who do homework learn the work ethic and take responsibility for their own learning. Parents are more informed and involved with what and how their children learn, forming a supportive bond with the child and the school.

12. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

The right amount of homework can only be a good thing. It's like practice for a musician, dancer, or athlete. You can't reasonably expect to make progress without working at home on the skills taught to you in class.

1. andromida profile image56
      andromidaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you.

2. Lgali profile image58

thnaks for nice comments so my question is what should be resonable homework for primary kids?

1. akihan profile image68
        akihanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i guess homework can be split into 2 types for primary kids, those that are boring all so routine to instill discipline and practice. something like math.

another type is the creative homework that allows the kid to get free expression, think and explore. some kind of open ended homework like "imagine you met the president, what would you say" or something like that.

i believe the younger kids like from 7-9 should get more of the 1st, and when they get older, shift them to the 2nd type.

2 hours a day won't do kids no harm i feel. keep the weekends free though!

2. rebekahELLE profile image86
        rebekahELLEposted 14 years agoin reply to this

it also depends on the child. some children are naturally bright and need very little homework time. even with the primary ages, some may only need 15 minutes of uninterrupted time while others may need up to 30 minutes as an older primary student (3rd grade).

schools are different now than when you were a student. often there is very little time to do work in school.

I do agree with Valerie, the right amount can be helpful AS long as the parents are not doing the work so that it gets a good grade!

help the child learn how to think by asking questions so that the child can figure it out himself. if there are mistakes, don't fix them! it is the child's work, not the parents.

1. Lgali profile image58
  13. profile image0

When it's too much it IS bad. Doing homework is not always a matter of acquiring more knowledge obviously. Kids need a chance to use their knowledge in the real world as well, just doing homework sheets and assignments doesn't cover all that's needed.

Also homework is not the only way for a child to learn responsibility though it helps a great deal. Part of my problem with so much homework is that my youngest boys are like Jane@CM's daughter was - overly analytical, methodical, perfectionist. They do wonderfully at school but at such a cost, they put themselves under such stress! It's not absurd or stunting anyone to allow a child time to relax, meet socially with others, explore the world in it's reality instead of spending every minute only studying someone else's thoughts and ideas. Using knowledge makes it truly their own. Experiencing life is necessary to a real person.

I do have one problem with my youngest, he's so SLOW. He thinks having so much to do so quickly encourages sloppy work and thinking. To him, it's not right or even acceptable unless all possible ways of thinking are taken into consideration, all the ramifications of the knowledge are understood thoroughly, and all the information is embedded so deeply and well into his brain that it will never be forgotten.

14. profile image0
    paxwillposted 14 years ago

Mindless busy work is bad and only serves to make school seem even more boring, but thoughtful and interesting homework questions can reinforce the important points of the lesson, and even make students look forward to going to school.

When I taught math and assigned homework, I would assign a couple questions that had a practical real world applications, and that were challenging enough to make the students feel a sense of accomplishment for having solved them.  I found that if I assigned only practice drills and rote memorization problems, far fewer students would even bother doing the homework.  Class participation was better when the homework problems were interesting.

15. profile image0

One of my boys "refused" to do math homework when he was little (4th grade), I was always having to deal with that. The problem was justifying making him do it when he aced all the tests.

My oldest was in school once and was listening to a discussion two boys were having about the concepts in a book they had read, the teacher reprimanded them and told them to get to work. One of the listening students said loudly, "You heard her! You boys quit that learning and get your busy work done!"

Really, practice is a GOOD thing, it's necessary. People just don't like being told what to do is all, kids are certainly not excluded from that. Being a teacher can be such a pain, you start out so starry-eyed and idealistic, then reality slaps you repeatedly in the face.

16. earner profile image84
    earnerposted 14 years ago

The concept of homework is good, but for some kids it can be more difficult for them to fit it in.

The first school that used to give me homework would give me up to 2 hours' per night.  School finished at 3.45 and I'd then have to catch two buses to get home. I'd arrive home about 5.20.  By this time my younger sister was playing and we only had one room with heating in - and my room was 6'x'7' with no desk at all, so I couldn't do it in my bedroom.

I would change out of my uniform and it was time to lay the table.  Then we had tea.  By then I was quite tired and in our one room there was mum/dad watching the telly and my younger sister playing/wanting to play.  So it wasn't really an ideal environment to do homework, let alone try to do 2 hours' homework.

So I rarely did it.

On the other hand, there will have been kids that walked home and were home and changed by 4.15 and who had a desk in their room, with heating.  They could have done most of their homework before their evening meal most nights.

17. Lisa HW profile image62
    Lisa HWposted 14 years ago

Homework has always been a sore spot for me!   mad  I'm inspired to write a Hub.   lol

18. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

Math homework has always bugged both my kids, they are good in math, can see the answer without having to work the problem, so my son says it all the time, why can't I just write the answer down?  Good thing his dad is an engineer and can explain why you need to be able to problem solve in the bigger world smile

19. profile image0

Teachers got mad at me because I would never let my kids do homework as soon as they got home. The kids had been at "work" all day and coming home is meant to be time to relax for a while. They were only allowed 1/2 hour of homework a day up until about 4th grade; more as they got older. I used conversations, activities, and real life experience to help them practice what they learned in school.

Another thing I taught my kids that teachers were wrong about is "The only way to learn is to read." Some teachers actually told my kids that and tried to tell me that as well. That's obviously untrue!

Much of my annoyance with overloading homework is that teachers were basically telling me how I should spend my time with my children, how they should be taught diligence, discipline, and responsibility.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)