jump to last post 1-2 of 2 discussions (9 posts)

Copyright info?

1. EyesAndEars profile image60
    EyesAndEarsposted 6 years ago

Oh man.  I just finished a hub and had to delete it.  i was writing on 'US Military & Obese Recruits'.  when I noticed the online Associated Press article said, at the bottom - do not copy, rewrite, distribute etc... wish I wouldve seen that first. sad

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Do you mean you were copying the whole article?

Even if it says do not copy, it's OK to quote a sentence or two from a newspaper article.  And it shouldn't be hard to write your own article without quoting any of it verbatim, anyway.

EyesAndEarsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

omg, no!  I saw an online article and was 'reporting' on what I read
        I find it amazing how the US military is taking hte responsibility to ensure our children are healthy, rather than the parents

In that case, I fail to see what's preventing you writing your own article?

EyesAndEarsposted 6 years ago in reply to this

u mean I could have?  I thought from it being from the Associate Press that it was better if I didn't, cuz it said to Not rewrite, redistribute.  etc
            I wanted to link to the article, but that would have been redistributeing, right?  and if I put my own spin on it, that would have been rewriting, right?  so, I thought it was best to be safe and not get myself into legal trouble with the Associated Press.

Including a hyperlink to the article is not redistributing it. Redistributing means publishing the article in another newspaper (or online). You're not doing that with just a link - you're simply providing the link as a reference.

If you take the original article and rewrite it - i.e. use the same structure, sequence, arguments etc but just change the words - then that's disguised plagiarism, and that's what they're seeking to prevent.

However, there's no law that says you can't comment on an article and give your own opinions on the matter.

1. alternate poet profile image78
                alternate poetposted 6 years ago in reply to this

yet

2. Starfishfelix profile image61
              Starfishfelixposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Yep - I second that.  You cannot apply a copyright to facts - only the creative medium.  Copying the article or changing a few words is wrong, but using a variety of articles, books and other sources to create your own is fine, especially if you're adding your own commentary or insights.

As Marisa stated above, Hyper-linking is totally fine too - most sites want the traffic and are happy to get the links.

2. EyesAndEars profile image60
    EyesAndEarsposted 6 years ago

ok, thanks. i'll remember this.

working