Hubs and traffic

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (19 posts)
  1. salt profile image60
    saltposted 14 years ago

Ive got 82 hubs published, some ok, a couple good and the rest, well their of interest to me...

Im getting about 40 visits per day.. most to about 3 or 4 hubs.

How does this compare with others?

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
      Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

How old are your Hubs?  If they're 2 years old, I'd expect you to be getting a lot more traffic than that! 

What does Google Analytics tell you?  Look at the pie chart - how much traffic is coming from search engines? 

If you're only getting traffic to 3 or 4 Hubs, that tells you your other Hubs are either not using the right keywords, or they're on topics which simply aren't commercial.  You could try using the Google Keyword tool (using the "exact" search) or try using the Google Wonder Wheel to get some ideas on what words people are searching for - maybe if you tweak some of your non-performing Hubs, that would help.

Ryan did a good video on this:
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJIAh9uCt4c

1. salt profile image60
        saltposted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow, thankyou...

and thanks ryan.

Marissa, thanks, I start to look at those google things and get sidetracked. Thanks!

2. vhinz316 profile image59
      vhinz316posted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow you have lots of hubs there my friend, I'm just curious how come you have lots of hub pages?

2. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 14 years ago

Your Hubs appear to be way too short on original written content to be genuinely useful or interesting to your visitors or to the search engines.

1. salt profile image60

Is that me your commenting on, Im not sure I agree, some have some very individual thought. My go petition hub is a social justice one that  doesnt get read that much, but is important to me. Some older ones, I want to go back and update and some are my learning hubs, learning how to lay things out etc... thanks for your thoughts anyway.

Yes Relache is talking to you. Bear in mind Relache pays her rent with her HubPages income, so if you ask her how to get traffic, she will tell you.

If you choose to write on abstract subjects that matter to you, instead of thinking about what the public is seeking answers to, then the reality is you won't get traffic from outside HubPages. 

That's a valid choice if it's what you want to do, but it will make a big difference to your traffic.

To give you an idea, until Christmas I had about 82 Hubs, too, but I was getting around 1,000 views a day.

2. jaymz profile image78
      jaymzposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You have short hubs too. Lots of other capsules, and text that adds up to maybe 400-500 words. You don't seem to have many over that average.

3. Pandoras Box profile image60
    Pandoras Boxposted 14 years ago

And mine are way too long. Well, not mine, but mine other. I decided not to write money hubs under this ID.

Marisa, wow, Ryan made a bunch of useful youtube tutorials, and I really wish I'd seen them a long time ago. Am I dumb? Did I miss these somewhere along the way? I ask seriously, as I frequently completely miss the perfectly obvious.

Every newbie should know about these!

What's your definition of too long?   800 to 1500 words is ideal.

I must admit I haven't watched the rest of the youtube tutorials either!

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
        Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

800 to 1500 words is like my first module. From there it just gets worse.

Brevity has never been among my strong points. I lean towards over-explaining. And I swear I have no style. Not complaining, or being self-pitying, it's just these things you find out about yourself when you actually try to write seriously.

So like I researched my subject, right? Took me a couple days, but that's better than the research I am doing for my hubs under this ID. Then I identified the specific sub-topics I felt should be covered, and started writing. A couple of days later I finished. I had over 6000 words. I killed some of it, and divided the rest into three hubs.

Good, cuz I got three hubs out of it, bad, because by that time I was thoroughly sick of the subject, and quite certain anyone else would have been as well.

But it's a learning thing, and I'll get there. I just have to be more careful and more concise, and perhaps a bit less concerned with whether or not the reader is really understanding the full picture.

Yeh the tutorials were great. I only watched three of them, but seeing what he's doing on screen really does make a big difference. Normally I learn better through the printed word, but then normally I'm not real big on how-to, technical stuff.

Sounds like you're not doing anything wrong. 6000 words is three or four Hubs,simple.  As Nelle Hoxie will tell you, writing several Hubs on a topic and interlinking them is much better than writing just one.

1. salt profile image60

Im starting to do that, then I get inspiration to write about something else and go off on a tangent to come back later to add ... I will get myself more organised. With personal things intervening last month, its time to get myself back in order.

2. vhinz316 profile image59
            vhinz316posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Marisa thanks for the tip smile

2. salt profile image60

thanks, I never think of word content, I write what fits the topic. Some topics fit lots of words to me, some dont.

I might start doing a plan of how to lay out my hubs before I edit them here, yet it also depends on what I find when I research, or what photos, vidoes etc.. and how they all fit together.

Yet if I make a plan whilst researching, itll be more specific and help me edit more clearly.

4. salt profile image60
    saltposted 14 years ago

wow, I must admit, Ive been working at this as a slow learning curve and having had many life experiences that have taken time and energy, I have been happy to poddle along with hubpages to learn. I am getting close to taking this more seriously and making a bigger effort.

I have some writing work to do and then I will concerntrate on building traffic. I thankyou for your imput and I do sometimes write more about what I want or what I thought might work, until I stumbled on topics that work.

Thanks marissa.

5. ThoughtfulSpot profile image70
    ThoughtfulSpotposted 14 years ago

Just to tack on here to what Marisa is saying... Writing for personal satisfaction is perfectly legitimate.  It just happens to require very different expectations that writing for adsense/amazon/publicity, etc.

I started out writing purely for enjoyement.  I didn't get much traffic, and I didn't expect much.  I loved getting the occasional comment or two, and interacting with other writers here on HP.  Just recently, I've started dabbling in keywords, search terms, etc.  It became a new challenge for me.  I'm nowhere near the big numbers others get, but my traffic is definitely going up, and I did manage a hub that was getting about 50 hits a day which is great for me.

So, basically, write for whatever reasons you want to write, just be sure your writing is tailored to your expectations and vice versa.  If you want to get more traffic, check out the tools others have mentioned here, tweak your layouts and include those search words into your text.  And, see what works for you.

Some people have a really great system.  For me, right now, I've not got a lot of time to dedicate, and its a major learning curve, so its trial and error.

Good luck!

1. salt profile image60

thanks, you are right. I need to put in a little effort and i will get there.

and I did view ryans videos and they did help and motivate.

6. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 14 years ago

I agree with Relache, your hubs are too short. The word could is barely there in some of your hubs. I think I find a teeny tiny paragraph in one hub and a TON of other stuff.

The hubs lack content.

Less content, less search engines will feature you at the top, meaning less likely to get traffic.

You may also want to spend more time coming up with good titles. A good title can really make a difference.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)