Insulting comments on hubs

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (33 posts)
  1. Richieb799 profile image74
    Richieb799posted 13 years ago

I'm wondering why someone left a comment 'ya big head' on my latest hub..the person had a hubpages account with no profile photo..Ive deleted the comment now so I can't have a closer look at their profile..

I don't know why they said this, maybe I sounded too scientific when talking about digital technology lol lol

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Richie - don't let them get to you. There are idiots in all walks of life!

2. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hey Richie, why are you insulted to begin with? "ya big head" is what you consider an insult?

Are you that frail of faith in your own ability or what?

Wouldn't it been simpler just to delete the comment and move on?

Now you open a thread based on that comment. Why? To vent your frustration or confusion, because you cannot understand why that person made the comment. I would have thought it would have been obvious why they made the comment. *answer- to make you irate.

Guess what? It worked. roll

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well it may not be a very creative or extreme one, but it *is* an insult.  I think the question is just why do people to do that....

3. tantrum profile image61
      tantrumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I always leave them posted.Even the nastier I find funny.It says a lot about the hubber that posted it : A worthless person. lol

4. profile image0
      Gracie Sophiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well, I'm a newbie and I've already experienced bitting, snapping hubbers, who use smartass humor when they don't like the topic.

1. KeithTax profile image72
        KeithTaxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

All this in two days, Gracie? Slow down. You come across like someone on the mania side of manic-depressive.

You will be fine, just take a deep breath. You do not have to comment on every thread and publish 34 hubs in two days.

Slow and steady wins the race. People around here are happy to help, but at a sustainable pace.

If you are in the top 10 active list of a forum you are probably talking too much and people start thinking bad things about you without saying out loud. So, breath in, count three, exhale.

2. myownworld profile image74
        myownworldposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Welcome to Hp forums Gracie! Yes, it can get quite rough in here and as a newbie, I really can understand how intimidating it must seem, but you'll soon learn how things work here. We all have. There are lots of wonderful people around so don't get discouraged. I'll soon find a moment to read your hubs - it's unbelievably impressive how you've written so many hubs in such a short period of time! Best of luck with everything smile

2. profile image0
    Gracie Sophiaposted 13 years ago

Richie:
    Motives are mysterious things. Why do some people write what they write? Try to say "Ouch" and then go own with your day. Keep on writing!

3. ceciliabeltran profile image64
    ceciliabeltranposted 13 years ago

well, some people get a kick being nasty. lots of repressed hostility. just deny them. I've only had about two doing that and they are most likely annoyed because of some comment i made in the forums.

4. Daniel Carter profile image63
    Daniel Carterposted 13 years ago

It says volumes about them, Richie. They are the ones in the bad place, not you. Let it be their little tempest in a teapot. You can hit delete and still be at peace about it.

I've learned that lesson over and over again through the years. There's no need for my thinking to shift for any reason to make me suffer just because another person is. That's a form of codependency.

On my bad days, I revert back to the old thinking, of letting them have power over my thoughts and feelings. But things get better as life goes along and I keep adjusting. I think that's the process many of us use to one degree or another.

5. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 13 years ago

I would say, post them, allow them.
    why? what you wrote is your opinion. Those responding have both positive/negative opinion. If you get continued negative individuals, it only shows their limitation to be respectful of someone else opinion. It doesn't hurt you or your writing in any way.

In short: call them out. smile

6. myownworld profile image74
    myownworldposted 13 years ago

Ignore, just delete and walk away. There's a difference between constructive criticism which contributes something to the discussion... and plain outright insult. While I always welcome healthy debate under my hubs, remarks such as the one you mention (meant to be insulting), I delete without a second thought.

Since I write on some very controversial issues, I often get 'hate' mail from orthodox muslims, so I understand how you're feeling, but don't let them get to you. Just stay strong Richie, do your research well, and keep believing in what you write.... ! And do take care... smile

1. profile image0
      Non-offensiveUserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

They are only words my friend.  They are what you make of them.  Relish the good and pay no attention to the bad.  Just go on and see where the day takes you....

1. myownworld profile image74
        myownworldposted 13 years agoin reply to this

smile true... our little squirrel friend shows much sense.... !

1. profile image0
          Non-offensiveUserposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Every now and again a little nugget of truth comes out of my mouth.  Here is another one for you:

He who goes to bed with an itchy butt, wakes up with a smelly finger....

1. timorous profile image80
            timorousposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Eeewwwww yikes

2. tantrum profile image61
          tantrumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol lol
          what a squirrel! big_smile

7. Richieb799 profile image74

Cags - I don't know why they wrote it, maybe it was to make me irate..I have plenty of faith in my writing, I just think these people are pointless if they can't even give an explanation for why they say something..I just wondered why if it frustrated and annoy other people

8. Richieb799 profile image74

Thanks everyone for your support!

9. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

The internet makes petty people with sad lives think they are standing on a soap box with something important to say.  Just keep moving along and the cretins will fall by the wayside.

And be grateful for the spam and delete buttons.

1. rebekahELLE profile image86
      rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

agreed.  no reason to put up with insults. including here in these forums. insults are nothing more than a reflection of the insulter, arrogance at the lowest form.

delete and forget about it.

2. Misha profile image63
      Mishaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

ditto smile

10. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

Consider it just like a graffiti. People used to write some stupid things on walls and doors, leaving their obscene comments here and there. Now they leave their comments on Hubpages. Just sweep the walk and go ahead.

11. Doctor Phoenix profile image61
    Doctor Phoenixposted 13 years ago

Hello, Rich,
    My guess is someone is a little low on IQ points or had a few too many before sitting down at the computer.
    Either way, they don't really know you.
    After all, this is just the internet!

12. Richieb799 profile image74

Gracie, don't worry there are people who like to throw their weight around and act like they own the place.. Just ignore them if they don't have a green 'H' in the corner of their avatar..

I was more concerned why someone who say something abstract like they did and then not expand on it.

1. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Richie, 
      just like any other community, hubpages has a few nuts.  Sometimes this is a good thing but I think your right not to put up with petty insults.  It's the petty ones that really grate.  It's as if they couldn't be bothered to come up with a proper insult.  I have this theory that some people are threatened by others but don't want to really go to town on them because it would reveal that they are small, petty minded, insecure losers.  However, before I can comment on this particular incident, perhaps I should read the hub in question?  The content could after all be on opera hats and your inability to find the right size.

13. Richieb799 profile image74

Yes Katheryn, it is my Digital hub..I never let insults turn into arguments on HP, I wouldnt want to get banned for insulting someone back!

1. profile image0
      Kathryn LJposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ok, read the hub in question.  Inexplicable as to why someone should feel the need to leave such a comment.  Oh well, that's life.  Nice hub anyway.

14. Lisa HW profile image63
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

lol   lol   I think "ya big head" is hilarious!! (especially the "ya" part)  I'd leave that one up.  lol

1. Richieb799 profile image74
      Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Lol, it is funny, I don't know why they said it over that topic though

15. crochet48 profile image62
    crochet48posted 13 years ago

Richie, I'm a moderator with another writing site. It's frustrating, I know. (I'm new here -- can you report this to anyone in charge?) If so, maybe they can approach and give them a talking to.

You were right to delete the comments -- no need to get into a flame war.

16. strutzas profile image61
    strutzasposted 13 years ago

If somebody insult you or your hub, just think that they did not know what they are saying its a challenge for you how strong you are to face this trials.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)