How do you handle a not so pleasant comment?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (38 posts)
  1. mailxpress profile image51
    mailxpressposted 13 years ago

Hello all,
    Maybe it's the heat wave making people short fused and irritable but I must ask.  How do you handle not so pleasant comments?

In the past few weeks I have received comments to some of my Hubs.  I take the time to read them before I approve comments.  When people don't see or agree with your point of view and purposely leave a wise a_s comment, how do you handle it? 

When I come across a Hub which I don't agree with the topic at hand I simply say to myself everyone is allowed to have their point of view.  I don't leave a negative comment nor do I contact the Hubber (this has happen to me) telling them I don't agree.  Leaving wise a_s comments don't impress me it irritates me.  I feel people who don't agree with my point of view and feel the need to express themselves should find a hobby.  I'm now being sarcastic.  I thank all of you who take the time to reply.

1. Jeff Berndt profile image73
      Jeff Berndtposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I rarely publish controversial articles, preferring to leave my political arguing to the forums. But I have gotten a couple argumentative comments. Luckily, most of them are well-reasoned arguments, or at least politely-worded ones, and I haven't had to deal with anyone being purely snarky or obnoxious.

There's nothing wrong with leaving a comment that disagrees with the premise of a hub, as long as one does so civilly, that is, without name-calling and sticking to the facts of the subject.

If someone leaves an insulting comment, you can report them. I wouldn't report anyone for anything short of a threat, though. But that's me. Or you can ignore them. Not engaging is a good way to take the wind out of some folks' sails. You can delete the comment, but that leaves one open to accusations of deleting only comments that disagree with your article (whether they're true or not).
      Or you can respond, saying that the commentor has insulted you and unless they can comment without being insulting, you will be deleting their comments in the future.

Hope this helped, and hang in there. Don't let the wiseacres get you down.

Cheers,
      JB

mailxpressposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Jeff,
        First I want to thank all of you for sharing what you would do and how you feel.
        I do agree with someone leaving a comment civilly and I have over the past year approved comments not sharing my opinion because it was civil and they did share their point of view kindly and with an explanation as to why they feel the way they do.
        The last person (today) who left a wise a_s comment to one of my Hubs left a comment on a Hub about lettuce leafs as if writing about lettuce leafs was a joke.  Then they left another comment on another Hub I wrote simply not agreeing.
        Again thank you and just for the record it did not get me down but it did bother me just a little bit.  I felt discussing it in a Forum post would make me feel as if I wasn't alone sharing a feeling.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

if someone posts a legitimate counterpoint to something, like, for example, a hub about spanking, i don't mind and in fact it encourages discussion. but if someone just posts a nasty comment just to be nasty (trust me, you can tell the difference), i just deny it and don't even acknowledge it. but i do record the IP address and save it because if they come back and do it again HubPages can get involved and deal with them.

Hello cosette,
        Recording the IP address and saving it is a great idea.  If it happens twice then report it to Hubpages.  Excellent advice.  Thank you.

3. profile image0
      Deborah Sextonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

2. Ohma profile image59
    Ohmaposted 13 years ago

ignore it. delete it. or if it truly offers a valid point that should be considered leave it. it is up to you. it is your hub.

3. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

It completely depends on relevance and respect level, with regards to the hub.

4. alternate poet profile image66
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

I answer reasoned argument with my point of view, the feeble minded who leave ignorant or rude comments I just delete.

5. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 13 years ago

Delete and move on.  It's as simple as that.

All of you guys are great and you mostly share the same answer.  Thank you all and yes I will move on.  Nice to see you relache.

6. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

if they're clearly 'jerk' comments, I delete them. if they disagree and do it respectfully with a decent reason, I accept it.

All you guys helped me make the decision to simply not approve.  Thank you so much all.  I don't feel the comments would create a friendly good discussion.  I do appreciate all of your replies.  Thank you again.

7. Disturbia profile image59
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

I don’t delete them.  I find them amusing.  Rude, ignorant, or offensive comments speak for themselves and are a reflection of the person commenting.  If someone wants to be an idiot, who  am I to stop them?  Just remember, nothing anybody says here, whether it be a comment on a hub or a post in the forums is going to affect your life in any meaningful way, so to let it bother you is pointless and a waste of precious energy.

I read the comments, sometimes I even respond, but mostly I just laugh, and move on.  I don’t allow myself to be dragged into any arguments either.  Unfortunately, there are some people out there who are just very defensive and they feel the need to attack, even when not provoked.  Then there are those others who purposefully and deliberately like to create controversy.

8. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

I received a comment on one of my hub, it said that her two year old thinks better than me, that the hub I wrote was a crap, and then I look at the hub score it is 87

I just commented, Thank you very much for your comment. Parents are the model of their children so be careful how you interact with people specially giving comments, constructive criticism is always good plus citing how to improve is appreciated.

1. Disturbia profile image59
      Disturbiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well that was a very good reply and showed lots of class.  Good job.

9. Shadesbreath profile image77
    Shadesbreathposted 13 years ago

I like to use sarcasm and ridicule.  It's fun, entertaining for everyone else, and teaches them a lesson.  Plus, censorship is rude and shows weakness.  I think if you don't really want comments, just don't have a comment box, but shutting people down, at least to me, defies the very nature of respect for human dignity.  If they choose to say something stupid that gets them blasted with sarcasm, that's a different deal.  I only delete spam.  Just one guy's opinion though.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Can I enroll in Sarcasm 101 Shades hehe, its an art. You do it brilliantly plus you write well!

1. Shadesbreath profile image77
        Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hah! Absolutely. Can you imagine how much fun a class like would be?  Sort of like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2Mc7bTG3-c

lol

LOL, thats funny! I have to watch it twice because I cant understand British English (when hearing it) at times, and the background laughs are loud, thanks Mr Shades.

Do you also charge for your students?

1. IzzyM profile image86
            IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

LOL, that program is Scottish -no wonder you couldn't understand it when English isn't your first language!
            I'm Scottish (and proud of it by the way)but I know that our accent is a bit difficult for all nationalities to understand. The English struggle, never mind our American cousins. It is all but impossible for those whose first language isn't English, so you have done well!

Thanks Izzy! I didnt know it is Scottish, was fun hearing it and the accent is good,

2. mailxpress profile image51

Hi Shadesbreath,
          I watched the video and it is a very funny clip.  Thank you for the laugh.

2. mailxpress profile image51

This is why I posted a question in the Forum.  I wanted help to figure out how to handle what I believe to be not so pleasant comments.  Shadesbreath, you opened my eyes to another point of view of how to handle not so pleasant comments.

3. Disturbia profile image59
      Disturbiaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like sarcasm and ridicule also, but they very often get me into hot water. I've seen some of your examples Shades and you are brilliant.

10. wychic profile image85
    wychicposted 13 years ago

As long as it doesn't include foul language or something inappropriately suggestive, I'll allow it. In some cases I'll usually respond if there is a good response to it, and always make my responses as cheerful as possible...nothing seems to work better to tick of people that are trying to make you mad wink. I've had a few comments on my hubs that were intended to be offensive, but I've managed to find responses to them all that suited me. I had one to a negative book review that, from as personally as the commenter took it, I'd almost swear it was the author...someone who did not like criticism of the book at all...and there I did end up using a little bit of sarcasm in the response because it really, really needed it tongue. The way I see it, any comments have the potential to spark a discussion, so even the negative ones are still a good thing for my article as long as I conduct myself appropriately in responding to them.

11. Mighty Mom profile image77
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

As my mother used to tell me, "Consider the source."
    If the comment is coming from someone known to be sarcastic or provocative (good example: Shadesbreath),I would consider it a compliment!
    For me, I tend to accept all comments unless they are blatant spam. I thank the commentor for their perspective on the subject.
    In rare instances do I allow myself to fire back (but it does happen).

In summary, it kinda comes with the territory. Be glad people are taking the time to read and comment, as this is good for YOUR Hub Score!

12. blondepoet profile image66
    blondepoetposted 13 years ago

You know it really does not phase me.
    I know who I am, where I come from,I just let them fly over my head because if it doesn't sound right to me, I know it is gabble lol.

13. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

I give them a virtual slap and a mr whippy turd to the face and everything is balanced in the world!

14. mega1 profile image79
    mega1posted 13 years ago

so far still haven't had any negative comments -  but if I did I think I would consider it "small minds pass on negativity" just like in the old days when we used the phone more - and people who didn't know you felt like they could say anything, be nasty and rude etc. to receptionists especially - so I just would be extra kind, extra nice and shame them into stopping.  I think that works online as well.  Even in the forums, rarely do I stoop to the level of rude posts.  I'm so good!

15. ddsurfsca profile image71
    ddsurfscaposted 13 years ago

for me it depends on the degree of unpleasantness.  If it is straight nastiness without any ccontructiveness to it, I give it right back to them.  If it is just unpleasant because I have made mistakes, I simply thank the person for the critisism for it is a help.

16. brettb profile image61
    brettbposted 13 years ago

I've had a website since '95 and occasionally I've seen some pretty offensive stuff posted or emailed to me. I moderate all of my hubs in controversial areas, although I don't know if it's better just to let the bad comments through so they stimulate a flame war.

17. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I see no reason to spend quality time writing a quality hub and then have the comments turn into a flame war. comments can also affect what ads show up, and there are times I've denied a comment because a hubber wrote too long of a comment making an off topic political statement. hubbers need to respect the writer's time and effort put into publishing a hub.

Hi rebekahelle,
      I never thought about comments affecting what ads show up on Hubs.  Thank you for pointing out to me what should have been so obvious.

18. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 13 years ago

If the negative comment has merit, I keep it. If it's just a wiseass remark that doesn't contribute to anything I just delete.

19. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 13 years ago

Well, this has happened to me twice. One person, not a registered user, totally bashed & thrashed me about my writing subject on one hub. I did not delete the comment, I thought it was so tasteless. (It's on my hub about a Polish Wedding). But of course I responded, in a very befitting way. Not with hate or bashing, but an explanation that I made a 4.0 on the same article in college, a reminder that they are rude, and  a thank you for allowing me to be their verbal whipping boy for the day!

Hi donotfear,

I never thought so many people would respond to this question.  I really thought I would have a a handful of suggestions and would have been happy with that.

I found reading the replies to be entertaining and appreciate reading how so many people handle the same situation differently.

Thank you for sharing how you have handled a not so pleasant comment.

20. profile image0
    Go Writerposted 13 years ago

Since it your hub, you can choose to publish whichever comments you want. But I usually try to be polite back.

I've learned not jump into really controversial topics because it just becomes a heated debate, and I don't like them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)