The age limit - does it matter?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (37 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

If you just found out that someone you know on HubPages is 16 years old (for example), would you report it? Ignore it? Or what would you do?

1. bayoulady profile image69
      bayouladyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Depended on whether they seemed mature or not.I reported a 14 year old once, because you could tell from his profile that he was ultra innocent.(homeschooled,thought it was a blog, told people to email him...) I feared that he might be predator bait and too innocent to realize it.

1. thisisoli profile image71
        thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Maybe he did realise it tongue

2. profile image0
      ankigarg87posted 13 years agoin reply to this

in my opinion age doesn't matter in hubpages as writing skills doe snot depend upon age. But below 18 should not view adult content in hubs like adult pictures that are used in hubs.I will not report if i found someone below 18 years.

1. WryLilt profile image87
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

It's against Adsense ToS to have adult content on HP, anyway!

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I would report it.  Experience shows that eventually, they get found out.  Better they get caught early, than wait till they've put hours of effort into writing Hubs which are going to get unpublished.

2. profile image0

Sounds pragmatic, thanks.

3. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

Well, maybe this isn't what we're "supposed to do", but if the Hubs were of decent quality; I'd just think that it's up to HubPages staff to worry about who meets the minimum-age requirement.  I guess I see the quality of the writing on the site as a "team effort" type of thing, but the administration of setting rules and making sure members follow them, as a HubPages staff/adm thing.

Then again, if the kid was on here acting like a little jerk and not really writing anything, if I were irked enough I might flag his profile.  There has been a time or two when people have pretended to be kids and said stuff just to get people "all worried".  Whether they are or not, if someone sees something that seems concerning, nothing wrong with flagging it.

4. relache profile image73
    relacheposted 13 years ago

I have no problem reporting any TOS violations I come across, and that includes underage site users.

5. profile image0

Thanks Lisa and Relache, I'm not surprised to see differing opinions on this topic. It is very helpful for me to read.

6. profile image0
    BRIAN SLATERposted 13 years ago

I am not so sure I would report it- it just depends-I mean how would you find out, secondly the person may have a perfectly good explanation for saying what they did. Once found out the person should be given a chance to explain why and a chance to amend what they have done.
    If Relache wanted to pretend(lie) to everyone on this site that she was 33 that is her concern not everyone else's. The only person she's really lied too is herself. Her writing is still the same in life you take everyone on face value, until proven otherwise.

7. A la carte profile image59
    A la carteposted 13 years ago

If the site says 18 more older then we should respect that and report. If the site administrators want to make an exception that is their choice. I would report  because to NOT do so would be wrong. It would mean that if there were a million people online in HP making those decisions then there would be a million decisions.We would be voting by consensus and so far have not seen that on HP:)

8. WryLilt profile image87
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

I had an under 18 contact me about adsense - of course it's 18+ to apply.

He had quality hubs that were better than many hubs by older people on the site.

My recommendation to him was to ask a parent to help him with the official details when applying for affiliates.

Usually however, I'd say that 18+ should mean 18+

9. Bloghead profile image57
    Blogheadposted 13 years ago

I think i go through life learning more from kids than adults.

10. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 13 years ago

is there really any policy on hubpages that prevents a minor from joining this site?  as far as i know, there isn't such a rule.  however, if that is the rule, then i would report it to hubpages if i knew any hubber that was under the age limit. 

personally, i think if hubpages really wants to keep underage minors from joining, they should have it a rule where they should require the first time user to verify their age via credit card. charges should NOT be charged on that card at all.  NO, just be used to verify the person's age.  Anyways, that would be one good way to verify a minor's age.  however, i know many hubbers here enjoy the simplicity of hubpages, and how easy it is to publish and sign up.  therefore, i doubt seriously many would agree with me, but that's just my suggestion on the whole situation.

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The Terms of Service expressly say that a person must be 18 years or older to open a new account.

1. profile image0
        Stevennix2001posted 13 years agoin reply to this

hmm..must've missed that part.  oh well.  it doesn't apply to me anyways as im well over that age.  lol.  however, thanks for pointing that out though.

2. alqx profile image60
      alqxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm 18, but don't have a credit card. If Hubpages were to have implemented that rule, it would've been an awful hassle to register. I might not even have bothered.

3. Marisa Wright profile image86
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, the rules state you must be over 18.

No, no, no please no!  If HubPages had asked me for a credit card, I wouldn't have joined.  Just think what I'd have missed out on! 

A lot of people are hesitant about using their credit card online, so introducing such a requirement could discourage people from joining.

4. bayoulady profile image69

IAh,stevennix, I  would never join a writer's site that wanted my credit card number to join.Never.

11. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 13 years ago

I was reading terms and stumbled onto this-

neutral

What's that supposed to mean ? Most of the hubbers have content targeted at children under the age of 13 like - dora the explorer dvd's, other animes and toys. Maybe i'm getting it out of the context but really got confused with that.

1. profile image0

If the primary intended reader is a child under the age of 13 (as opposed to the parents of such children or such children accompanied by their parents), then this rule would apply; that is my interpretation.

12. A la carte profile image59
    A la carteposted 13 years ago

You raised the topic Website Examiner..would really enjoy your viewpoint on this.

1. profile image0

Thanks for asking A la Carte. I found your response above very interesting.

First and foremost, I think it is wrong of people under the age of 18 to sign up. Most of them know perfectly well what they are doing; they are probably used to getting around age limits all the time. If they get reported, it is their own fault. Rules are there for a reason, and they ought to respect that. Also, other Hubbers have a right to feel comfortable that they are not interacting with (technically) children on a website reserved for adults.

Second, I think that any hubber who reports someone under 18 has the right to do so, and that without needing to feel a bad conscience.

Third, for me personally, it is a matter of extent. I would unconditionally report someone aged 15 or younger. If aged 16 or older, I would try to consider the person's maturity; not so much whether their articles are any good, more whether they seem to be able to take care of themselves on the site - without being lured in by someone harboring bad intentions, and without bothering others with stupidity.

1. A la carte profile image59
        A la carteposted 13 years agoin reply to this

good points and I had not considered the safety angle.

13. lrohner profile image69
    lrohnerposted 13 years ago

I would definitely report it. By not doing so, you're just letting them know that breaking the rules is okay as long as they're not caught. Bad lesson IMHO. As adults, we're supposed to be role models.

Besides, if they don't respect the rules when they sign up, why would they bother respecting them once they're a member?

14. profile image0

Marisa Wright and lrohner, I find your arguments persuasive and tough to beat. I appreciate everyone else's comments as well.

1. PaulaHenry1 profile image65
      PaulaHenry1posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I seem to remember a 16 year old being nominated as a Hubnugget last month, so really, how strict is HP on TOS?

1. sofs profile image78
        sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

WE I like the way you put it , I agree with everything you have said and believe that, what is a violation is a violation... whether the person is smart or not.
        I have reported the little girl who caused a lot of trouble on a  weekend and will continue to do so if the need arises!

1. bayoulady profile image69

lol!sofs...I remember!Little twit...she had me so worried about her!

15. Lifeallstar1 profile image61
    Lifeallstar1posted 13 years ago

I would say to report it. They might not be able to prove the age of the person and that person stays anyway but at least you know that you did the right thing. I'm of age but I have found that there are a lot of shady people that contact me. Not just people from HubPages but from the Internet and they email me. I just ignore it but you just never know what can happen and what that person might do. If they are a legal adult and allowed to be here then it's all on them but if they are underage and you can at least attempt to protect them then I say do it. Better safe than sorry for the underage here. It has amazed me what people from the Internet do and I would hate to think they are saying things like that to 16 year old's because it is pretty bad.

16. anonimuzz profile image60
    anonimuzzposted 13 years ago

Maturity can't be judged simply by someone's age, but the rule makes sense. Adults are legally responsible for themselves, no matter what; minors not so much. For that alone, I agree with the rule.

I would not necessarily report every minor I found out, though. It depends on the person. To me, it's not like bending an age limit rule on this particular website would immediately show kids that they are free to do whatever they want, as long as they're not caught. Not every minor works at such a basic level -.-' . Again, to me it depends on each one's maturity and reasons to be here.

17. profile image0
    ralwusposted 13 years ago

I report them. There are hubs and things in the forums that minors just need to stay way from, and it is TOS. I would not want my grandchildren on here.

1. alternate poet profile image68
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes !!!   YOU, walrus and ME being two of them big_smile big_smile big_smile

18. JayDeck profile image60
    JayDeckposted 13 years ago

If you found out they were 16, HP will find out in short order. There is certainly content that the very young should not be exposed to, so i imagine I would forwarn them and then report.

19. alternate poet profile image68
    alternate poetposted 13 years ago

Hubpages seem to have most things right, their TOS are not onerous and seem well thought out.  Hubpages must also comply with laws about publishing etc that do not directly concern us using the facility.

If it against the TOS it should be reported - if Hubpages choose to ignore the report it is their business.

20. Lisa HW profile image61
    Lisa HWposted 13 years ago

This is going to seem like real "bad attitude", and I understand, I suppose, the thinking that "we all should kick in" on the aim toward having members comply with TOS; but I go back to my thing that I think "kicking in" on the quality of writing that shows up here is one thing.  Becoming police, babysitters, or self-appointed HubPages staff seems like another to me.

I don't know...    I think if a kid signs up and gets reported by someone he had it coming.  I don't think people are wrong for reporting if they feel like it either.  I just can't worry about other people's kids.  That's up to their parents.  I still say worrying about someone not complying with the age thing is up to HubPages.

I've had kids (like 12-year-olds, no Hubbers, though) make comments on my Hubs; and I'm really, really, careful about what I say (because sometimes they ask about stuff that I wouldn't want my kid asking some stranger, even if a lot of it is fairly innocent (like whether a young kid should have a cell phone or not) ).  So, I "worry" about other people's kids in that way on here.  I don't know...    Maybe I'm just new to having my own kids grown up and kind of enjoying not having to worry about kids right now.   hmm   (Then, too, I'm not inclined toward wanting to be that "police-person" in a lot of situations in life.)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)