Have you been seeing a drop in AdSense for September?

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (50 posts)
  1. melbel profile image93
    melbelposted 13 years ago

This month has been great for me with traffic, not monumental, but really just starting to climb up now. However, this month I've also seen a pretty large drop in AdSense earnings.

I have published a number of hubs this month, (six, which is a lot for me, but I plan on creating more.) I've also done a bit of back linking which has helped in the realm of getting traffic.

I am just wondering what gives with the AdSense income. Anyone else experiencing a kind of blah month with AdSense?

1. profile image0
      Charlinexposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes, I also noticed increased traffic and decreased earnings.

2. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have been receiving similar traffic, but my click through ratio sucked. Its getting better now, but if it would of been good the first half of this month I would of seen more of an increase from last month.

Of course this month I did not publish many hubs....Man I need to start writing 1-2 hubs daily..

Its funny you can get more traffic, but then get bad CTR or get good CTR and get less traffic.

I need to publish 200 hubs.....lol smile

2. mythbuster profile image70
    mythbusterposted 13 years ago

I've noticed a drop, yes

1. melbel profile image93
      melbelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wonder why. If it was a drop in traffic, I would understand that as many people have less time to spend on the Internet with making sure their kids get their homework done and packing summer clothes up and winterizing and all that stuff... but I'm seeing an increase in traffic so it's really not jiving.

1. mythbuster profile image70
        mythbusterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm not worried about the drop. I know I'm not the most experienced writer and I know I have a lot more to learn about backlinking, SEO, keyword stuff, so I see the drop as an indication that I'll need to learn more stuff, adjust what I'm doing on HP in general...

Maybe I'm strange but I find the fluctuations in adsense interesting and they prompt me to keep learning more about article writing and the things mentioned above.

Of course - I FREAK OUT for a few minutes first when there's a drop but after I get my jaw off the floor, I'm usually okay and realize that I'm still earning and not making as many mistakes as when I first started writing at HP.

3. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

I've seen the opposite.  This month MAY end up being my top-earning Adsense month to date for me.  I've seen my daily averages double and almost triple some days what I normally run.  I'm very pleased.  Last October was a big month for me, so I'm hoping this October is fantastic.  If September is any indication, I'm really excited.

1. thisisoli profile image71
      thisisoliposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Wheres the traffic from?

If it is social bookmarking, rather than backlink via articles, etc, then it is probably the lower quality traffic causing your drops in adsense.

1. KCC Big Country profile image84
        KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm guessing you weren't actually responding to my post although you quoted mine since I have seen an INCREASE in Adsense earnings.

Oops sorry, must have pressed the wrong button by mistake!

1. KCC Big Country profile image84
            KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I thought so....no worries!  smile

2. melbel profile image93
        melbelposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's definitely something I'll need to consider taking a look at. If the influx in traffic IS from social bookmarking sites, then it does make sense that it's not the greatest month for earning. However, that WOULD help in future months as the back links will age and bring me more traffic from the search engines.

Many social bookmarking sites use no follow links, which means you don't get much of an affect i'm afraid!

4. WryLilt profile image88
    WryLiltposted 13 years ago

This month has been all over the place!

Adsense was looking promising at the start of the month and now it is looking like I might not even beat last month's earnings of $43.87 (and I need $50 this month to reach payout. sad)

1. Susana S profile image94
      Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Same here. The first half of September was great, the second half not so good. Thought I might beat last months record, but I don't think I will be now unless something miraculous happens in the next four days.

1. WryLilt profile image88
        WryLiltposted 13 years agoin reply to this

October should be better right? Since you've been here for one already. smile

1. Susana S profile image94
          Susana Sposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No idea, lol smile I haven't been doing it long enough to be able to compare years. Last October I was still like a toddler in the world of working online. I've heard that October is the start of the build up to Christmas buying so maybe. Then again, people kept saying that the summer months are rubbish for earnings but I did really well, so who knows??!!

big_smile Thanks. Well I shall set my eyes on October...

I must admit the 'US summer' months for me slowly increased, but I had one single month (June) where I didn't reach new heights.

5. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Yes I have seen a drop in Adsense this month, however, there are other variables to consider. hmm

6. relache profile image72
    relacheposted 13 years ago

$61 more dollars earned and I will have hit the total amount earned for last calendar year... and that's still with three months to go for this year.

I've not seen a drop all year.

Wow! You make me really look forward to next year!

7. KCC Big Country profile image84
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Congrats, Relache! You'll round out the year very nicely then!

That made me curious about my annual totals.  After calling up my Adsense account, I just realized that this is my 4th month in a row that I've broken my previous highest monthly total.  I have nowhere near the type of money as Relache (my lifetime numbers are probably less than a month of hers!), but I surpassed my 2009 total income in April 2010 and that actually includes a bit of 2008 since I started in October 2008 and wasn't paid on that until 2009 when I finally hit my first payout in July 2009.

8. GarfieldGates profile image77
    GarfieldGatesposted 13 years ago

I keep going up every month, and this one is my best yet.  Perhaps your are experience topical/seasonal ebbs and flows in your traffic.

9. CMHypno profile image82
    CMHypnoposted 13 years ago

I have had the best month yet so far for Adsense,so September has been great.  Amazon has so far not been as good as August, which I find a bit strange, as I had expected August to be really quiet.

10. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

I've seen an increase and so I'm off on my jollies!

11. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Nope, I have seen a big rise. Already $53 over last months total, will probably end up at least $200 over last months figure for AdSense. I am also $67 up on last months Amazon. So beaten last month by $120 already, with 10 Amazon items awaiting shipping (which, with no returns, will probably take me to the 7% threshold for the first time on Monday).

Things are looking really good for me.

12. Laura Marie profile image60
    Laura Marieposted 13 years ago

Yep my google adsense is down too despite an increase in traffic. I am hoping to publish a few more hubs before the end of the month so hopefully this will help.

Ryan you are publishing so many new quality hubs thats why your total keeps rising. How much are you averaging in adsense each month now?

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Well an average is hard to calculate, as it has increased every month but one. I should make in excess of $1000 from AdSense alone this month though, with about 90%-95% from Hubpages. Plus at least $300 from Amazon.

I would suspect that my monthly total will reach $1500 just so long as my normal end of month Amazon flurry occurs (people getting paid their monthly salary) and my normal early week traffic surge occurs tomorrow and tuesday.

1. Laura Marie profile image60
        Laura Marieposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Congrats Ryan!! All your hard work is worth it. My adsense from Hubpages will be half what it was last month unless I get mroe clicks than normal during the last few days of September. Last month I got over $120 in adsense here. Amazon sales are starting to pick up this month so hopefully match last months total.

2. David 470 profile image81
        David 470posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Ryan your my hero. Keep up the determination and work. I am trying to make my way to 500 hubs.

13. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 13 years ago

My earnings are quite modest, but  this September has been my all time best by about 50%-- and there's still a few days to go.

14. dippykitty profile image58
    dippykittyposted 13 years ago

My traffic seems much the same as normal but my actual earnings do seem lower than I've been used to. Right now, I'm looking at September's earnings being much less than half of August's earnings and it's also lower than June and July too. I thought it was just me but it looks like other hubbers are fluctuating a lot too!

15. rmr profile image68
    rmrposted 13 years ago

It's been a strange month for me, Adsense wise. I don't remember the last time I had a day with 0 earnings, but I had a couple of them this month. Those were followed by my first $10 and $15 days. Overall, my revenue is down just a tad. Amazon is a totally different story. This is looking like my best month to date, there.

16. Pcunix profile image92
    Pcunixposted 13 years ago

Here is some historical data from my main site:

September 2003 Sep 24   Payment issued - details                ($847.32)
    October 2003 Oct 27     Payment issued - details                ($1,088.77)
    November 2003 Dec 8     Payment issued - details                ($940.03)
    September 2004 Sep 16   Payment issued - details                ($687.26)
    October 2004 Oct 20     Payment issued - details                ($592.35)
    November 2004 Nov 21    Payment issued - details                ($536.71)
    September 2005 Sep 23   Payment issued - details                ($1,205.59)
    October 2005 Oct 26     Payment issued - details                ($1,017.24)
    November 2005 Nov 24    Payment issued - details                ($1,030.92)
    September 2006 Sep 25   Payment issued - details                ($798.15)
    October 2006 Oct 23     Payment issued - details                ($876.71)
    November 2006 Nov 23    Payment issued - details                ($943.59)
    September 2007 Sep 26   Payment issued - details                ($931.69)
    October 2007 Oct 25     Payment issued - details                ($774.83)
    November 2007 Nov 26    Payment issued - details                ($817.09)
    September 2008 Sep 24   Payment issued - details                ($792.98)
    October 2008 Oct 24     Payment issued - details                ($717.22)
    November 2008 Nov 25    Payment issued - details                ($698.65)
    September 2009 Sep 24   Payment issued - details                ($814.03)
    October 2009 Oct 27     Payment issued - details                ($900.76)
    November 2009 Nov 24    Payment issued - details                ($744.96)

September payments are of course for August earnings, so September earnings are in the October payment slots.  I included the 3 month range of months as I thought it would be useful

Pending payment for Aug 2010 is $751.31.  September earning as of this moment on Sunday, Sept 26, 2010 are $725.39

So, no, I wouldn't say September is particularly unusual for me in a historical context.  It seems to usually be a little lower than August or October.

1. profile image0

Thats a fantastic reference point pcunix, although that makes me concerned about next month!

1. Pcunix profile image92
        Pcunixposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How does that disclaimer we see on mutual funds go?  Past Performance may not be..

There's also the fact that this is from a technically oriented site, which may or may not experience entirely different earning patterns from a different type of site.

Next, consider that we have just been through a sharp recession.  Historically, advertising has been good in recessions, so as we (we hope) start to come out of it, will we see an up-tick or a down-tick when it is over for sure?

Other things to worry about:

The lack of reading skills is turning the web much toward video content.  That doesn't bode well for us.  I can transition if I have to, but i really do not want to - I DON'T LIKE VIDEO!

Traditional print media is dying, but does that mean we gain?  Not if it's losing to video!

Bing is trying very hard to steal from Google.  Will they succeed?  I doubt it, but who knows?  I can switch to their ads in seconds at my main site if I have to, but I don't like Microsoft.

Apple is trying the same thing with their soon to be everywhere advertising supported apps.  That market could pull even more advertising dollars from us.

Overall, there is a lot going against us smile

I should write a hub about this.. I guess I will!

1. profile image0

Interesting point about the recession. There are other factors though, including:

1) Less people trying to make a few quid online, as jobs reappear offline. Therefore, a bit less competition?

2) Advertising expenditure may well fall, but Affiliate sales should rise with consumer spending? In other words, slightly easy to persuade somebody to part with their cash on a sales page.

I am going to be working more on my independant sites though, just for the ability to switch and change ad schemes as and when required.

If the web goes to video as it seems to be heading, we'll losr far more than we gain.

I do a bit of lecturing so am comfortable standing up and speaking, but I do not LIKE video so have always been reluctant to do much of it.  There's also a (admittedly small) equipment investment necessary to do a professional job.  I just don't like it - it is such a slow and inefficient way to communicate - I can read at least 1,000 wpm, but even a pretty fast talker only hits 150 wpm usually.

I suppose the medieval scribes hated to see printed books, too smile

1. profile image0

Are we really heading there though? YouTube had tonnes of constant growth, until about 9 months ago. Their traffic has been pretty static for the past 9 months.... despite lots of new user content.

I don't know.

I want to think not - or at least hope for another few decades, because after that it's the young-un's problem, not mine smile

But functional or effective illiteracy does seem to be growing.

At a site that sells speed reading course they say:

"The statistics speak for themselves. The average CEO in America reads 4-5 books per month and the average American reads 1 book per year! That is an extremely amazing and true statistic. "

If true, it's really scary.  Try http://www.readfaster.com/education_stats.asp for other unsettling stats.

I NEED readers.   So do most of the folks reading this.

And we can't judge by ourselves - my family makes that average CEO look like a lazy reader smile

1. profile image0

To be honest, I only read a few books per year!

I learnt to read properly (as in actually interested in reading) when I became interested in soccer at around 7 or 8. I was given a matchday programme/magazine after each game and would read it from front to cover. I then started to read the newspaper soccer pullouts from front to cover too, and eventually began to venture a little further into those papers.

I used to buy lots of broadsheet newspapers. I now read precisely the same kind of stuff online. I know that there are plenty of offline newspaper and magazine consumers who have yet to migrate to online content.

Whether those already reading online content move towards video remains to be seen, but I suspect that there are still plenty of literate people left in the world for us to share. Remember that illiterate people are at least not going to write the content which competes with us!

Actually, having delved into the latest hubs recently... I can't be so sure of that last point hmm

Extra big smiley face smile

2. wilderness profile image95
                    wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Now, now, Ryan - you must be nice! big_smile 

Actually, the scary part is that I think many people can read and understand those hubs just as well as the ones you write.  You and I may not be able to even decipher what the author is talking about, but some people actually can and are amazed that we can't!

2. wilderness profile image95
              wildernessposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I would question video taking over, too.  Agreed, fading reading skills may result in more people wanting video, but video does not offer the ability to skim and move that written words do.  We may well find both happening at once - increased video usage by the illiterate, but increased reading by those that can (assuming population growth, anyway).

Writers may have to adjust (no words over 5 letters long?) and maybe add languages (Spanish for the US?), but I don't see the written hub, or blog, really dying.

17. waynet profile image68
    waynetposted 13 years ago

I suppose video is one of the marketing advantages of recent times, but there'll always be room for both text content and videos online. The fact of the matter is this, people are turning to the Internet more and more, either to make money online or make their life easier in some way, whether that's shopping online or getting the latest deal online.

Adsense is an old advertising revenue stream, but it's not the only one, we can expect to see others surfacing on the net whilst others will die out, such is the way of the Internet, Google Adense seems like it will last forever as there are many publishers out there who use Adsense on well trafficked websites and through being a Youtube partner.

Drops in Adsense revenue shouldn't really be happening if you've established yourself in multiple places or at least one strong solid foundation in one place. I like the way of having many other sites that all can interlink together, because every thing that ever was can all be connected really and be a solid network of your own.

I like videos as you can create and edit them quickly as opposed to a long 1000 word article, but then I also see the advantage of writing text with videos as much as possible on say a blog, a video blog is far more powerful it seems!

18. Paul Edmondson profile imageSTAFF
    Paul Edmondsonposted 13 years ago

AdSense CPMs have grown nicely this year.  The 4th Qtr is the stongest earning months of the year with shopping content doing well during the holidays.  Some individuals see fluctuations, but on the whole, things are looking good.

Historical data, again, from a techy site, so doesn't apply to everything or everyone, but for me, Quarter 3 has usually been slightly stronger.

Year 2003 Quarter 3 $ 2954.91
      Year 2003 Quarter 4 $ 2570.9
      Year 2004 Quarter 1 $ 2480.18
      Year 2004 Quarter 2 $ 2028.09
      Year 2004 Quarter 3 $ 1804.64
      Year 2004 Quarter 4 $ 1868.3
      Year 2005 Quarter 1 $ 2838.93
      Year 2005 Quarter 2 $ 2891.12
      Year 2005 Quarter 3 $ 3324.52
      Year 2005 Quarter 4 $ 2315.78
      Year 2006 Quarter 1 $ 2577.64
      Year 2006 Quarter 2 $ 2303.85
      Year 2006 Quarter 3 $ 2453.63
      Year 2006 Quarter 4 $ 2668.27
      Year 2007 Quarter 1 $ 2394.99
      Year 2007 Quarter 2 $ 2388.82
      Year 2007 Quarter 3 $ 2594.45
      Year 2007 Quarter 4 $ 2267.03
      Year 2008 Quarter 1 $ 1947.23
      Year 2008 Quarter 2 $ 1818.45
      Year 2008 Quarter 3 $ 2190.19
      Year 2008 Quarter 4 $ 2097.04
      Year 2009 Quarter 1 $ 1904.96
      Year 2009 Quarter 2 $ 1796.46
      Year 2009 Quarter 3 $ 2439.31
      Year 2009 Quarter 4 $ 2341.48
      Year 2010 Quarter 1 $ 2177.75
      Year 2010 Quarter 2 $ 2148.12

19. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

mine was down this month. do most of you allow include 3rd party ads?

20. Enjol profile image58
    Enjolposted 13 years ago

Hey guys, I am currently using an ADSense account, but I understand nothing at all about AdSense. Can someone please direct me to a very informative website pertaining to this AdSense thing?

I am working on a blog I started months ago and need help with using the AdSense. Now, I actually managed to place ads on the site, but i received an email about a month later stating that I only made 3 dollars.

Sorry, if this is off topic. I've been trying to understand this for years. Thanks! Everyone smile

The best place to start is the help section at your Adsense login, then post specific questions in the forums.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)