jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (5 posts)

Overly promotional? Does this include self promotion?

1. Bard of Ely profile image87
    Bard of Elyposted 8 years ago

I am a singer-songwriter but not wanting to be accused of being "overly promotional" I have so far refrained from writing a self promo hub about my own music and with some videos of my songs included and links to sites where my songs can be heard. However, I have seen plenty of people posting their own poetry and when I think about it writing an original hub or posting your own photos is making use of and promoting personal artwork. So I am wondering if I have got it wrong and it is in fact OK to promote your music and songs here. Can someone please let me know?

1. Tater2tot profile image61
      Tater2totposted 8 years ago in reply to this

It is okay to write about your music and put up videos and pictures, as long as you still have content. Hubpages doesn't want people writing three sentences and then adding 26 links to their site. That is over promotional. HP recommends >400 words of original content and only about 2 links to your website. big_smile

2. thranax profile image58
    thranaxposted 8 years ago

I'm sure you can. Remember people do product reviews, and they do music artists profiles and everything. I'm sure you can promote yourself smile

3. pauldeeds profile image
    pauldeedsposted 8 years ago

The rules for what we call overly promotional are fairly mechanical.  Maddie's Hub on the subject covers the details pretty well.  What we are trying to prevent (or at least diminish) with these rules is obnoxious, highly commercial spam.   They don't exist to prevent the kind of hub that you have described (but you still should be mindful of the rules in Maddie's hub).

4. Bard of Ely profile image87
    Bard of Elyposted 8 years ago

Thank you, thranax, Paul and Tater2tot!
    I understand now!