jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (18 posts)

google placement?

1. Brie Hoffman profile image81
    Brie Hoffmanposted 5 years ago

Why is it when I google this hub:  http://hubpages.com/hub/Off-Grid-Toilets

using {off grid toilets} in the search it doesn't come up on the first page?  It's on the second page...shouldn't it come up first since I am googling the same exact words as the title of my hub?  It's not like there is another article with those same exact words???

1. Edweirdo profile image93
      Edweirdoposted 5 years ago in reply to this

FYI, if I Google "off grid toilets" (with the quotes) your hub is on the first page. Not sure anyone would ever search that phrase with quotes, but there it is...

Brie Hoffmanposted 5 years ago in reply to this

that is weird...I wonder why?

No pun intended smile

2. Brie Hoffman profile image81

I just tried it too...I never put quotation marks in the title.  Do you know why that would bring it up?

Using quotation marks in a Google (or Yahoo) search means "find this exact phrase" - not using them tells the search engine to find similar, but not necessarily exact, matches...

Still you would think that IF you had the exact phrase that your article would be first.  Maybe it will just take time.

2. Peter Hoggan profile image84
    Peter Hogganposted 5 years ago

Hi Brie, I dont think you have used 'off grid toilets' anywhere in the main content of your hub. Although it's in the title and the URL, perhaps getting it into the first paragraph, an h2 tag and a few other places throughout the content would help a little. I think the page needs to be a bit more self descriptive.

The other pages also have age and most likely links to help them as well.

You know what...that might be it.  I will put it in there and see.  I know the others have age but I've done hubs before and they were placed first when I use the exact title like that in a search.  But, I will look it over and see about that...thanks.

2. andyoz profile image84
      andyozposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Can I ask what a h2 tag is?  Not heard that before.  Or am i just being a little thick?

When you use the "subtitle", or when you highlight a line and select "Heading 2" from the format dropdown,  in a text capsule on HubPages, the text is formatted with the "<H2>" HTML tag in the background...

1. andyoz profile image84
          andyozposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Ah I see, thanks

3. darkside profile image80
    darksideposted 5 years ago

Have you ever used the Google Adwords Keyword Tool to do research to find out how many people are searching for that exact phrase per month?

Yes I did...it was like 900

2. Brie Hoffman profile image81
      Brie Hoffmanposted 5 years ago

Ok I put the title throughout the article and put some subtitles in and now it moved to the first page...so it is moving up.  I'll check it in another day and see if it's closer to the top then.  Thanks for all your help.

3. 0
      edueckposted 5 years ago

Hi Brie.
      Just wondering if you where to try a long tail key word like   

Going off grid with your toilet.

If this might work? just an idea I looked at some of the others and they had long tail key words.

Do you mean just adding those words?

I'm so frustrated, I've never had so much trouble before...now it's on page 2 again.

4. 0
      edueckposted 5 years ago

Hi Brie
      I did quite a few searches for off grid toilets and I tried google and it came back the second list on google on the first page.
      I tried with and with out quotation marks both times it came back on the first page.
      Composting toilets came back with more searches in Google keyword tool. just trying to help. hope this helps.

working