Any poets making AdSense dosh?

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (22 posts)
  1. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

Just out of curiosity (and I am one who is very pro-poetry on Hubpages, in fact I believe that they should have an entire section dedicated to it at poetry.hubpages.com), do you make money on your poems?

There is a reason why I am asking, which I won't disclose yet, just a few cogs churning.

I don't need details, I know that AdSense revenue on a poem would generally be accidental, just a yes or no would do.

I am just thinking of ways that Hubpages could monetized poetry, if they have the largest collection of poets online then at some stage in the future they should be seeking to develop the potential there.

1. rorymullen profile image60
      rorymullenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't see much money in poetry here. I have access to over 1,000 original Gothic and dark poetry. The only way I honestly see any revenue with HubPages is if they can make a way to sell poems, because adsense just does not cut it.

2. profile image0
    ryankettposted 13 years ago

So you own those 1000?

As a rough estimate, what are you looking at money wise on that 1000? Per month?

I can't lie, I am the proud new owner of the domain poetpages.com

I just can't see how I could make it work. I wouldn't be able to give 80% revenue share, if the 20% left doesn't cover the costs.

So, I don't know what angle I would take with it, possibly just monetize with an online store, but that isn't going to cut the mustard.

I wouldn't want to bother with profit, but it would have to meet overheads the justify the time spent setting it up.

1. rorymullen profile image60
      rorymullenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If I was to publish all of them and try to monetize them I would be looking at .50 from each. I know the possibility of that happening is slim to none. The only other way I could see making money from poems is books. Online books is a fast and good market to get into. Creating a minimum of a twenty page book and using a site to host the selling would be amazing. I have a business plan set up and ready to go , but time and lack of computer knowledge has left it in its tracks. I was assuming a general profit of $10,000 a month with paid and un paid membership options. There was a fall out plan for sale if it got to big.

Other then that using an article base is a short term goal that has to be thought about.

3. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I only have two poetry hubs, but I made them more than poems. One of them gets decent views with some of the keywords, but as far as making adsense $, my adsense earnings have been down since Feb.
    People searching for poetry may be writers, academic, etc. Monetizing the pages for writers makes sense, and I do see creative writing ads at times. On my poetry hub about a Monet painting, I sometimes see ads for Monet paintings or travel ads for France, and specific writing styles.
    You could look around at some poetry sites and see what kind of ads are showing. Art ads may work also.
    I want to add.. I only have a few poetry hubs here to add to my HP portfolio. I don't publish my poetry online at this time.

4. FaithDream profile image79
    FaithDreamposted 13 years ago

You should ask Tnderhrt23, her poems are fantastic. I have a few but I haven't seen anything different from them.

5. profile image0
    Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years ago

Poems don't make money. I'v published here and there through the years, on this site, on other sites.

Poetry doesn't even make money in the real world. It's strictly a prestigious thing.

Personally, I used to write a lot of poetry during childhood and my teen years. Then I stopped. I realized in my late 30s that it stopped because I was happy. smile I realized that I wrote poetry because I was sad.

Even these days, when I want to express something pretty intensely, I find poetry a far better means do to it. Probably, because it needs to be succinct, is visually in a short form, and may have a rhythm that makes it easier to remember as well.

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

I have a dozen poems and some of my poems see consistent traffic. I don't make much from adsense, but I do make something. I would not go as far as to say that I would get rich writing them, but collectively they have made a few dollars.

I guess there are many factors that would go into whether or not, people would click on ads, such as length - topic - ad placement and amount of traffic.

I hope that helps Ryan. smile

1. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yes it does.

The only question really is whether the site would be self-sufficient, in other words meet its overheads.

The problem then is how to get the community active, without the incentive of money.

I have no doubt that thousands of pages of poetry would bring a little revenue if I retained 100%, but the the incentive isn't there for new users.

Unless it just purely for the love of poetry. Although I could disable right click, assign every poem a reference number, and invite people to make a financial offer for the rights.... and then present that offer to the author, without taking a commission.

Hmmmm.... I have to give this some thought. I wouldn't even be thinking about it if I didn't love the domain lol

1. Cagsil profile image70
        Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm glad I could help.
        A site by itself, just for poems/poetry. No. Mixed, like it is here, sure.
        People don't write poems/poetry for money, but do as an expression.
        Again, I would say separately, it wouldn't be beneficial, but on Hubpages, hubbers can link to assorted related topics they have written about, which is why a dedicated site would make very little. The traffic poems/poetry receives is consistent(as I said in my first post), so overall poems/poetry helps Hubpages writers.
        Selling the rights to original content poems/poetry is how some poets make money from writing, but again, not much. wink

1. profile image0

I was thinking about creating the platform as a loss leader. In other words, put the effort into building it, but cross promote with Excerptz. Then, ban poetry on Excerptz.

The benefit to the publisher is a platform from which to promote their stuff and flog ebooks or whatever they want to do, the benefit to me is that every new user is a potential user of Excerptz, I guess.

Anyway, far too much to do until May, so it can sit pretty in my domain portfolio until I have sussed this all out lol

7. sofs profile image77
    sofsposted 13 years ago

I have a few poetry hubs, a couple of them make a few $. To be truthful I have added more information to the subject, so they are not purely poetry hubs. It is search engine optimized to a certain extent.

8. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

?  I don't think you can simply make a broad based assumption like this Sophia. Poets write for different reasons, and without them, the world would be a rather sterile environment. smile 

I'm off to garden! Enjoy the weekend, hubbers.

1. profile image0
      Sophia Angeliqueposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Okay, I'm confused. What assumption did I make?

I said poetry wasn't a particularly commercial market, that it was more about prestige.

Are you talking about the remark about prestige? Yes, I agree with you. I take that back. Poets essentially write to express what is going on side, what they see going on outside, etc. smile

9. ThomasE profile image68
    ThomasEposted 13 years ago

I would not monetize it in that way.

If I had a poetry site, I would monetize it like they monetize... well, wetcanvas.com. Not have adsense adverts all over the show. Not really have a revenue share at all.

I would make it popular, and then have people with sponsored boards selling writing courses in france, self publishing books, editing services, illustration services...

Basically, make a nice place where poets can put their work, talk to other poets, and hang out. And then find people who sell stuff to poets that poets actually need.

1. profile image0

Good chain of thought that Thomas.

Build a community, some traffic, and then simply await people to ask ME whether I will accept ads.

You are right. Basically the polar opposite to what I do now.

And even then, retain the integrity of the site by limiting the number of ads to just a handful, and refusing to allow anything which isn't 100% relevant to writing or publishing.

Spot on, your right, a couple of years of no monetization whatsoever, to the point that people are begging me for ad space.

Poetry is for artistic types who do it for love and not money. The way that I COULD return money into the community is to hold some competitions, and get some famous poet or somebody to judge the entries.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I like your train of thought and ThomasE's post. People who search those sites are looking for community and resources. A lot of ads would not win viewers, but the right ads could bring the targeted  traffic. Some sites advertise books, magazine subscriptions, writer's retreats, contests, creative writing degrees, etc. But too many ads wouldn't work.

yes, I was. Many modern day poets are employed in day jobs where their skills can be expressed in various ways; writers, advertisers, photographers, professors, teachers, speech writers, songwriters, musicians, visual artists, on and on. Poetry may bring prestige, but I don't think a true poet cares too much about prestige. As in everything, there may be exceptions, but I think there's a difference between a poet and someone who writes poems. I believe a poet sees the world poetically, it's not simply about writing poems. Look at someone like Maya Angelou, it's how she sees her world. And we benefit from her expressions. smile

10. Aware1 profile image59
    Aware1posted 13 years ago

My poetry profile did okay when I was writing it regularly. I even sold some amazon items on spme of them... Mostly North Face gear on a seductive ski poem lol

I think poetry does have a market, but it deff needs to be promoted, which I did not know about back then.

I had some ideas for a site as well, but am too busy elsewhere just now.

It's nice to hear your thoughts on a site, Ryan.

1. profile image0

Far too busy to put my thoughts into practice, but the domain only cost me $10 and it can happily sit there until I decide to (maybe) use it. I just liked the domain, I actually have 4 year old domains which I "just like" but have no use for lol

11. aware profile image67
    awareposted 13 years ago

no .

1. profile image0

Blimey we have 'aware' and 'aware1', and the hilarious thing is that 'aware1' was actually the first one by a month lol

One of you needs to submit a trademark request, now THAT would be interesting lol

12. RedElf profile image88
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

I have some "poetry" hubs, but have found that adding text gives them a boost and makes them fit the HubPages model more closely. I would love to be able to just write poetry sometimes, though.

I find poetry doesn't sell terribly well - that is, it doesn't make a lot of money here, (some but not as much as most of my other hubs) but it gets a lot of interest in the community and with fans of poetry.

Perhaps on a site where it was a "feature," poetry might be considered more "evergreen" big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)