jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (21 posts)

New instructions for Amazon

1. Sinea Pies profile image84
    Sinea Piesposted 6 years ago

I have been going through my current hubs,one by one, adding 50+ words of description to my Amazon links, per the recent corporate directive.

As I read new hubs by fellow hubbers, most of them still do not have descriptions with their many product links. Am I correct in that those who do not include the descriptions are disqualified from earning commissions on sales?

1. brandonhart100 profile image83
      brandonhart100posted 6 years ago in reply to this

You are incorrect... the new rule is that you need 50 words per product (in the hub) and if you have that you are good.

1. brandonhart100 profile image83
        brandonhart100posted 6 years ago in reply to this

Even if you don't and your article was written before - you still get credit for it for as long as it remains published.

2. Sinea Pies profile image84
        Sinea Piesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Not the product description but the hub text?  That makes it difficult.

1. profile image0
          ryankettposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Not really, a 500 word hub can have 10 products displayed. A 1000 word hub can have 20 products displayed.

You can find out how many words your hub has by going to 'stats' and then 'hub metrics'.

I just checked out a few of your hubs, and they look compliant or close to compliant to me.

Thank you for taking the time to look at them.
            So, is it just a "numbers game"?  i.e. Google's system  doesn't like pages that are more product than content?

2. shogan profile image88
          shoganposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sinea, it doesn't have to be a direct product description in the text of the hub (if that's what you're thinking).  You just need 50 words of article text for every product offered.  That shouldn't be tough to do.

I just find it easier to put the description right with the product in the Amazon capsule than blending it into the hub text itself.

2. BRIAN SLATER profile image85
      BRIAN SLATERposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Sinea, just so you are clear. Write your hub introduction 300, 400, or 500 words or what ever you would normally do. Then for each product you are advertising write a further 50 words minimum for each product. So if you are advertising 5 handbags, each handbag needs at least 50 words description- it would be( 5 x 50 min words) plus the amount of words in your intro. Check any of my sales hubs out for examples if you like.

1. shogan profile image88

Brian, this isn't how I read it.  You can take this approach, but I think it's just a total # of words thing, not a # of words that are direct descriptions for each product.

1. Aficionada profile image93
          Aficionadaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Agreed.  I'm pretty sure that has actually been stated in some of the threads about the change.

3. Michael Willis profile image79
      Michael Willisposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I have written a hub on this with image illustrations to help those who might still have questions on the Amazon rule change. You are welcome to look at this and maybe it will make it easier to understand the change.

http://hubpages.com/hub/HubPages-Amazon … ade-Simple

http://s3.hubimg.com/u/4802770_f248.jpg

Thank you!

2. Sinea Pies profile image84
    Sinea Piesposted 6 years ago

I am wondering if maybe we all need more of explanation from HQ?

1. shogan profile image88

"Hubs must contain at least 50 words of original text for each Amazon or eBay product that is configured to be displayed."

I think we're all saying the same thing in different ways, Sinea.  I just didn't want you to think you had to have at least 50 distinct words for every distinct product.  I'm pretty sure that the above quote means words in the article in total.

Am I making sense?

3. Paul Edmondson profile image
    Paul Edmondsonposted 6 years ago

All the written words in your Hub count toward the original text ratio.  It doesn't matter if they're added in the text capsule or the Amazon description field.  Hope that helps.

Thank you so much.  This is a relief.  Makes life easier!

2. MyMastiffPuppies profile image72
      MyMastiffPuppiesposted 6 years ago in reply to this

That really does help, I did not think the description field counted either. That is very good to know, especially for future hubs.

4. Pandoras Box profile image82
    Pandoras Boxposted 6 years ago

Yeh that's what I was gonna say. The 50 words per item don't have to be in the manner of product description. You needn't describe specifically any of the items, it could just be a 500 word hub of general information with 10 related but undescribed items listed. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

And if you wish to you can use the description fields, they do count towards your total.

1. Aficionada profile image93
      Aficionadaposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I agree, PB.

I went back to a thread and read through it pretty carefully to see whether I had jumped to conclusions or not.  I found this post that, to me, was the clearest on the subject:

(found here: http://hubpages.com/forum/topic/69780?p … ost1531418)

To me, that says that the 50 words don't actually have to be about the product at all.

5. brakel2 profile image87
    brakel2posted 6 years ago

In the beginning, there was a misunderstanding that the 50 words had to all pertain to the product description. That has now been cleared up. They just don't want the products to overpower the words in the hub.So take word count, divide by Amazon products, and remove products accordingly if you do not have enough words.

working