Site Update: following hubs and some new rules about hub layout

Jump to Last Post 51-99 of 99 discussions (234 posts)
  1. quicksand profile image80
    quicksandposted 13 years ago

In other words the first capsule on your HubPage should not be wide bodied unless it is a text capsule or a photo capsule.

Then, you are permitted to display only one Amazon product for every fifty words of text you have written. The Amazon products that you select should be related to the topic of the article.

smile smile smile

2. BlissfulWriter profile image70
    BlissfulWriterposted 13 years ago

I agree with the new rules, since I know that Google likes pages that have content for most and ads secondary. In the long run it will be better for all of us when Hubpages enforces high quality content pages and google ranking increase.

3. Christene profile image60
    Christeneposted 13 years ago

Very sad. sad

5 out of my 30 hubs do not meet the '50 words of text for each Amazon product' requirement. Including the hub which has earned the most from both AdSense and Amazon.

If I leave them alone what will happen?

If I can't leave them alone I'll have to delete them and move the content to Squidoo.

Sigh.

1. IzzyM profile image86
      IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

If you ignore them they will be unpublished. Come on, it is only 5 hubs. How hard is it to either write more content or removed a few products?
      I had over 100 to fix and sorted then yesterday smile

1. Christene profile image60
        Christeneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

An example...

There's only so much you can write about a silly band. No, I can't write 2,413 more words. And I'd rather not delete the products I'm trying to sell.  (At least the trend is waning, I'd be angry if it were in the middle of it's peak. I'm just annoyed.) I was quite proud of the hub. Oh well.

I will have to take down the 5 hubs and move them.

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OK am with you, honestly. Just leave the most attractive looking ones on the page and add an extra text capsule saying that there is a fantastic range through on Amazon and all they have to do is click on any product link to go and see.
          Name those products if you can, or add some description, or even photos of them.
          They don't all need to be hyperlinks. if someone wants to buy it they will click through to Amazon so you will still get the sale.

2. sagebrush_mama profile image60
          sagebrush_mamaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You can incorporate some creative ways to use silly bandz...being inexpensive, they lend themselves well to all kinds of different educational activities, or to gag gifts for birthdays.  I know silly bandz have been beaten to death, but I'm using that approach for a number of hubs that need more text.  Just a thought!

1. sagebrush_mama profile image60

Another way to incorporate more text is to discuss which selections are qualified for Amazon programs, such as Prime shipping, or Amazon Mom.  A number of items in party supplies, surprisingly, are eligible for extending free Prime shipping through Amazon Mom....use some of that text to point out that benefit in selecting the items in question.  You do have to look, item by item, to see which ones are relevant, but that text could go into description boxes for the given products.

4. prettydarkhorse profile image63
    prettydarkhorseposted 13 years ago

Done, I checked all my hubs for compliance. Thank you for this update!

5. K9keystrokes profile image84
    K9keystrokesposted 13 years ago

Have managed to get most, if not all hubs within compliance. I did find an interesting and time saving method for compliance.

In case no one else has mentioned it already; in some (most) of my hubs that fell outside of the new 50 word count rule, the amazon capsules had 1 or 2 items listed, but the actual size of the list was capable of having 5 or 6. Meaning, I had listed only a couple of amazon products, but the number of slots within the capsule was set to accommodate 5 or 6 actual items. I simply changed the list size (by reducing the available list quantity in the drop down window within each capsule) to reflect 1 or 2 items. In most cases this solved the non-compliance within the hub. So, before you rearrange everything or sail off for Squidville, try changing the set number of amazon items possible withing each capsule. Hope this helps! It sure saved me a bunch of time.

1. Christene profile image60
      Christeneposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's a great tip! I don't think it will help me (I usually set it to the actual number of items), but I will double check. I'm sure it will help other hubbers though. smile

Just to clarify, I'm not leaving Hubpages. I'll still keep all my hubs that comply and I'll still make new ones.

1. K9keystrokes profile image84
        K9keystrokesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Good to hear, would hate to see someone bail because of forward progress in the rules. I hope the tip helps those hubbers who may have fallen into the same pattern I had. I was thrilled to find this short-cut. Look forward to reading your new HubPages hubs! wink

6. Christene profile image60

Something to think about. Thanks for offering your ideas. smile

I have it in my head that I want to have the link for the exact item they want to buy. That they'd be more apt to click. People already know they can just go to Amazon to search. I was saving them that step. Ya know? 

Decisions, decisions.

1. K9keystrokes profile image84
      K9keystrokesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Seriously, follow IzzyM's advice; the information she is sharing with you is right on the MONEY!

7. ns1209 profile image64
    ns1209posted 13 years ago

Is there any easy and quick way to see what Hubs need to be adjusted and when will they be unpublished if we don't add words/remove Amazon products.

It is good to see changes to improve quality but this will mean a few adjustments on some of my Hubs smile

8. Christene profile image60

Thanks sagebrush_mama. Nice thinking outside the box.

Ok, I will surely need to put more thought into what I can do to save these hubs.

I have a bunch to edit, because I had that "present every possibility" mindset.  Some are just a few minutes to edit, because the Amazon capsule was set to more products than I included.  Other's, I'm deleting lots, and finding the look of the hub is much better...those are taking a little more time.

9. Andrew0208 profile image58
    Andrew0208posted 13 years ago

It was truly a good exercise yesterday to read through my 30 hubs, weeding off some grasses and stunts on my farm. O I had to revise the layouts, knock off many amazon ads, update/add more writeups one by one though had only one hub on warning notification.

Honestly I felt better and healthier after the exercise. Fresh air and good performance for my adsense and HubPages ads(though waiting for an invite, I rather have both not choked at all) Thank you HubPages Team. It can only get better.

10. Rosie2010 profile image67
    Rosie2010posted 13 years ago

Thanks, Paul.  You guys are super!

11. lakeerieartists profile image64
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

Working on mine.  Doing several a day to bring them to compliance.  Hope to be done by the end of this month.  The good thing is that it is making me go back and look and in some cases improve older hubs.  The bad thing is that I have to go back and look at older hubs.  Oh, wait, did I just say that was the good thing? *shrugs*

I second that...lots of my first hubs are getting a spring cleaning!

12. Froggy213 profile image61
    Froggy213posted 13 years ago

Paul is there any way you all could give us some kind of heads -up on questionable hubs in our account page?
    I notice the only way to catch it is to actually visit hubs and my time constraints make this difficult.
    I am slowly going thru, most are good, but there are some from early on in my hubbing

1. Simone Smith profile image88
      Simone Smithposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Like Paul said,  a warning will appear on existing Hubs that violate the new rules.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Simone, my warnings only appear on my hubs when I attempt to edit them.

So, as things stand, I am going to have to go and visit each of my hubs, press edit, and see if it is in compliance or not?

With 721 hubs that is going to take me an absolute age, yet I am going to effectively be given the same length of time as somebody with 50 hubs?

The OP states that there may be an email of some kind, is this correct? This would solve the problem because otherwise I think I would sooner the hubs be unpublished and then subsequently republished in due course.

There is no warning on the stats screen of any sort, just on the edit screen. Is it really that difficult to put in place some sort of alternative warning system?

1. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF
          pauldeedsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The emails will be going out over the next few days, and a second round of emails will be sent the week of the 25th, just in case you missed a couple.

You don't have to click edit to see the warnings, you just have to visit the hub.  Even so, of course, we do realize that this will require a lot of changes for some authors.  Rest assured, that we will monitor progress and adapt accordingly.

1. profile image0
            ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

OK awesome, just so long as we are getting an email smile

I know from experience that going through each of and every one my hubs takes weeks by the time I replace dead capsules etc, I did that when I had around 550 hubs.

If the email doesn't contain hyperlinks, and just a list of titles, then it would be beneficial to those with larger portfolios if the list was in alphabetical order or in order of publication date.

Or, alternatively, just a csv file? So that we can put them into alphabetical order ourselves? I fully support the change, just so long as it is made as efficient as possible.

13. RedElf profile image89
    RedElfposted 13 years ago

It can be slow going sad but the older hubs are definitely benefiting from the extra attention and sprucing up smile

14. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 13 years ago

Just as a little update, Ren recently published a blog post on things you can do to help your Hubs given the recent Google algorithm changes: http://blog.hubpages.com/2011/03/things … your-hubs/

15. frogdropping profile image76
    frogdroppingposted 13 years ago

Thanks Simone. I'll go take a read. What's with the color? Fancied a change of clothes? smile

16. Christene profile image60

(1 fixed, 4 to go.)

17. Phyllis Doyle profile image92
    Phyllis Doyleposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the information, Paul.  I will check my hubs to make sure they are in compliance.

18. DIYweddingplanner profile image78
    DIYweddingplannerposted 13 years ago

I just got done checking mine (sorry people with 1000's of hubs!) and I didn't see any warnings pop up on any of them.  Would it already be there if I had any or is this being phased in?

1. KristenGrace profile image60
      KristenGraceposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm one of those people!

LOL, not 1000s, but over 200 now...

One of my "favorite" hubs is showing this warning sad  And, I'm struggling with how to correct it without looking like a moron.

19. Len Cannon profile image87
    Len Cannonposted 13 years ago

I don't know if it is working or not, but I will say that some of my Amazon-focused articles have returned to the 1st page of Google (still lower in the results, but a big return from page 4).  I'm even getting small amount of google.com traffic on them for the first time since the change.

I remain cautiously hopeful.

20. byronlee profile image60
    byronleeposted 13 years ago

Here is the message I get on the new Hub I tried to create:

"Sorry, because of rule violations associated with your account or ip address, permission to publish new hubs has been revoked. You can still edit your existing hubs and save your changes to this hub by clicking the done editing button. Your right to publish may automatically be restored through time and adherence to the HubPages rules. Fixing or deleting existing flagged hubs may also help."

I created the Hub with no content and I did not publish it.  This is the message I got.  Since then I have placed an article in that Hub that over 1,000 words.  I tried to publish it and it is a no go.

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks,

Byron

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
      Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

21. Dolores Monet profile image94
    Dolores Monetposted 13 years ago

I have checked my hubs (not all yet) and found several that broke the new rule. Those hubs were, frankly, a mess. I think this is a good idea, and makes the hubs tidier.

1. stephhicks68 profile image87
      stephhicks68posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I agree, Dolores!  Some of my oldest hubs are definitely pushing substandard, and not because they are spammy or overly promotional.  Just not enough text overall.  Its nice that there are warnings that pop up and quite easy to fix now.

22. Christene profile image60

Good work Janet smile

I thought I had 5 to fix, then found a 6th (20% of my hubs). I have 1 left to update. Saved the hardest for last. ha

23. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

I had wondered what was happening as several of my more recent hubs had been flagged with a warning about this and so I altered them. I only started doing what is now not allowed because I saw other successful hubbers starting with ads so assumed it was OK and a better way of making money.

I would never have pegged you as someone that would follow along with the crowd Bard of Ely!

24. Buffoon profile image75
    Buffoonposted 13 years ago

G'day everyone! 

Having a bit of trouble understanding exactly what the Amazon/eBay 50 word thing means.  From this thread, I gather it's a ratio thing, i.e. if I have 14 Amazon products in a hub, then the hub needs to be at least 700 words long or I'll get a warning.  And that would be regardless of the number of capsules featuring these 14 products.

Is that it?  If it is, then I guess that's why I'm not seeing any warnings.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can confirm if my assumption is correct.

Cheers

25. Marisa Wright profile image84
    Marisa Wrightposted 13 years ago

You're right, Buffoon

1. Buffoon profile image75
      Buffoonposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Cheers, Marisa!  big_smile

26. soni2006 profile image77
    soni2006posted 13 years ago

Out of 737 hubs, I have visited 110 hubs today and corrected around 20 out of them according to the New Rule. It's really time consuming as I have to visit all of them and there is no other option.

When we will start receiving emails with offending hubs from HP.

1. Janet21 profile image80
      Janet21posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Paul said the emails will be going out in the new few days.

2. pauldeeds profile imageSTAFF

We've sent about 15% of the emails already, the rest should go out in the next 24-48 hours.   I think most people will have plenty of time to make adjustments if they just wait for the email, and as I mentioned elsewhere we will adjust the March 25 deadline if we don't see the expected progress being made.

If you have particular concerns, or for some reason haven't received the email by Tuesday, feel free to contact me directly.  From what we've seen, only about 5% of published Hubbers have are affected.

1. lakeerieartists profile image64
        lakeerieartistsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Paul.  I have worked on some more of my hubs today to bring them into line, and one of my frustrations is that I have been going down the list in my account which keeps changing order. But I have gotten many done, but surely there are still more. sad

If you click on the published column on the my account page, that should put your hubs into a repeatable order, although I realize that suggestion may be too late to help you much if you're part way through the process already.

1. theherbivorehippi profile image66
            theherbivorehippiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How have I never known this?  Thanks....this is helpful! wink

2. lakeerieartists profile image64

Hmmm. . .oh, well.  I will just examine my list vs the email.  I figure that I will miss a few anyway, and if send out a second email that will help.  I can use that idea going forward though, and when I get through them all I will probably check a second time.  Thanks.

2. soni2006 profile image77
        soni2006posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thank you so much Paul. I have received my email and I am working continuously to set them according to the new rules. Thanks for making this such an easy task. Before I got your email, it was a nightmare for me.

27. lou16 profile image72
    lou16posted 13 years ago

Quick question - If you have a link capsule on your hub, does the word count include the words in there as well or not?

28. Bard of Ely profile image79
    Bard of Elyposted 13 years ago

Paul Deeds said: "I would never have pegged you as someone that would follow along with the crowd Bard of Ely!"

Paul, you are right because I don't usually follow but when there's money to be made I thought I had better do so!

29. Janet21 profile image80
    Janet21posted 13 years ago

I earned close to $10K last year with the amazon and eBay capsules on my hubs.  Many of the top earners on this site also make a killing with these money making capsules.  Therefore, I have updated my hubs to meet the new rules, but will not be removing anymore amazon or eBay capsules.  Based on what I see on my blogs and on other sites I work with, I honestly don't believe that these money making capsules are what is causing the problems with Google.  However, I will continue to keep an eye on the situation and proceed accordingly.

My concern right now is the direction that I feel Hubpages may be going.  Will they eventually remove ALL amazon and eBay capsules from our hubs and go to solely a writing platform?  Will they increase the required word count even more next time?  That would cause a huge problem for me since that is not the types of pages I write.  I am not a "writer" per se and all of my hubs include products. 

Do I even bother creating additional hubs and take a chance that this will not happen?

@Bard:  Don't apologize for wanting to earn more money. wink

1. lakeerieartists profile image64

I honestly don't think that Hubpages is going to choose to remove these capsules altogether.

Since we are all well aware that style and perception often are mistaken for substance, I believe that part of what we are seeing is a preliminary change in perception from the outside, and also a way to create new standards by which Hubpages can then pare away the substandard.

We hubbers only see it from our point of view, while Hubpages staff can see a much bigger picture.

30. mlowell profile image86
    mlowellposted 13 years ago

Can we get a notification as to which hubs do not follow the new rule? It would be easier to see that in the account page.

31. Whitney05 profile image83
    Whitney05posted 13 years ago

Janet, I'm with you... I don't think these capsules are causing the problem. I made over $30k last year from hubpages and online with all of the affiliates, in general... I don't see how there was a problem with the hubs as they were.

I think by taking away and limiting these capsules, we're definitely going to see a loss in earnings with these programs. I made around $10k with amazon and ebay alone; it will suck to see this disappear.

I guess we can write 1000+ words hubs to fit the number of products, but eh some of us don't have that time all the time to do.

Oh well, I'm cutting back my product ads.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think HP will decide to remove these capsules. All they did was change the rules that they cannot be full-width at the top of a hub. And that was done, I am sure, to satisfy Google that the hubs are focused more on information than on advertising.

Looks like you found yourself a niche that's working for you. That's wonderful. But most of us don't make much from Amazon and eBay. I say this based on what I read in the forums. Someone had said, and I agree, that when someone clicks one of your Amazon or eBay ads, they are gone and you don't make money unless they buy something. But if they click an Adsense ad you get something anyway. As for me, I noticed too that I make more from AdSense. So I have been pulling out or reducing my Amazon and eBay capsules. It's too soon to tell how well this is working.

32. ddkrharris profile image60
    ddkrharrisposted 13 years ago

Thanks for the update. I would also like to say that I'm very happy to be here! This is one of the best sites I've found so far for bloggers!

33. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 13 years ago

I have noticed that several recent Hubs have not been indexed by Google (if you search for the full title they cannot be found). Presumably these articles have duplicate content. Has this always been the case? Or is it related to the Panda update?

34. Simone Smith profile image88
    Simone Smithposted 13 years ago

Hey everyone!

A lot of you left comments on the blog post - in case you don't check it there, I've shared my go at your questions here too:

watergeek - affiliate links are links to special affiliate programs trying to sell something, so linking to related articles on external sites does not count.

sunforged & tom - Amazon and eBay links may be trusted more than other affiliate links.  We do not know if there is a particular sort of affiliate link that is more trusted than others, but some larger, more reputable online stores might indeed be seen as more trustworthy.  Of course copy and style are taken into account, and Hubs with many sorts of affiliate links to tend to have poor quality.  And sorry- we're just behind on moderating comments because there are so many on so many channels!

Scott - no; duplicate copy of any sort is no longer allowed.  If you want to publish something on HubPages, it must only exist on HubPages.

Wilderness - it is fine to include RSS feeds in your Hubs so long as you don't overdo it.  We just ask that you don't put those capsules as your first full-width capsules.

Michael - as of yet, we don't have any concrete suggestions on how many news capsules or RSS feeds to include, but from experience, I can say that including more than one even can be overdoing it.

Angie - w'ere talking about other sorts of affiliate links - not AdSense - no need to remove that from your account! That's an entirely different thing, so no worries big_smile

William - We have found that having duplicate content on the site is not good for traffic.  Beyond that, we just want the information and articles on HubPages to be original.  What's the point in having it on our site if it can already be found elsewhere?

Trish_M - You do not have to remove all of your News or RSS capsules - we just suggest that you not go overboard with them, and that you don't have them as your first full-width capsules.

Liz - You should check out our guide on what to do if someone copies your Hubs: http://learningcenter.hubpages.com/how- … complaint/ Sorry to hear that this happened to you, but do know that you ar not alone, and you do have rights.

Mulberry - writing a unique description for each product is a suggestion; all we really ask, rule-wise, is that you have 50 words at least for every product you feature.

Kelly - yeah, it would be nice to have a warning icon in the Stats section of My Account, but we don't have that now.  What I recommend is sitting tight until you get the email notification listing any Hubs that might need revision.

1. Michael Willis profile image67
      Michael Willisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Simone.

I made an  error in the way I asked my question. What I meant about the NEWS and RSS capsules was the Number of Feeds/Links...instead of capsules.

35. Jane@CM profile image60
    Jane@CMposted 13 years ago

What I've learned so far over two days.  I've been editing my hubs and noticed considerably less adsense ads.  Maybe that is why I'm not seeing clicks as on some of my hubs there are no adsense and others there is a whole line of ads down the side.  I guess its a hit or miss thing right now.

1. Whitney05 profile image83
      Whitney05posted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'll agree. Even when signed out, I only get 2-3 ads, which includes Adsense and Hubpages ads. Kind of crappy. I expect to see a drastic loss of income, which is rather sad and upsetting. I was making near $2k a month with Adsense alone... I see it dropping instead of increasing.

36. janderson99 profile image53
    janderson99posted 13 years ago

Sorry folks - traffic is still declining!

http://www.quantcast.com/hubpages.com
    http://s1.hubimg.com/u/4772704_f248.jpg

37. Derek D profile image59
    Derek Dposted 13 years ago

Anyone notice a problem with their text capsules?

I utilize text capsules with no content in them to create space between other capsules.

However, as of this post, all of my empty text capsules are no longer be recognized.

I wonder if this is due to the current Hub changes.

1. Glenn Stok profile image96
      Glenn Stokposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'll tell you what I do to create space between capsules. I created an image of white space and uploaded it to my HP Photos.  Then I just include it in a photo capsule, position it as needed, and adjust its display size accordingly. This method still works.

1. Derek D profile image59
        Derek Dposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Glenn,

I'll have to try that cool

2. Marisa Wright profile image84
      Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Why do you need space between your capsules?

If you'd like a divider, create a decorative bar as a jpeg image and upload it. Several Hubbers do that.

1. KCC Big Country profile image85
        KCC Big Countryposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's what I do on some of my product-oriented hubs.  I found a paragraph divider and uploaded it as a .jpg image and I insert between sets of products and their descriptions.

Edit:  BTW, Marisa, I love your new avatar.  I saw Oli commenting on it in another thread and saw your explanation.  I always liked Darkside's eye avatar too.  You have beautiful eyes.  You should always use this avatar.

1. Marisa Wright profile image84
          Marisa Wrightposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Aw, thanks, KCC!

2. Derek D profile image59
        Derek Dposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Marisa,

I also utilize page dividers.

The reason I liked using text capsules was, for example

Lets say I had a product image I was displaying and I wanted to also display the amazon product adjacent to the image.

Instead of placing the amazon capsule right next to the image, I would put a text capsule with no content next to the image.

I would then open the  text capsule and hit enter on my keyboard as many times as need,  this would position the amazon capsule that I placed below the text capsule to center itself  on the product image adjacent to it.

I'm sure there is another way to accomplish what I was doing,  however that's what worked for me.

38. sagebrush_mama profile image60
    sagebrush_mamaposted 13 years ago

Taking the slightly ADD approach, I worked from present, backward, to about the first week of July's articles, then got frustrated with finding my place.  So I started working from my Hubpages beginnings, forward.  I have May, June, and about a week of July to finish editing!  Yikes!

39. lakeerieartists profile image64
    lakeerieartistsposted 13 years ago

Just got my email this morning.  Yay, not as many left to fix as I thought.

40. soni2006 profile image77

Okay friends, I have modified all my hubs till now in accordance to the hubpages new rules. Thanks a lot I received an email from hubpages around three days back so it was very easy to do this. Now I am waiting for some other rules to be included in my hubs as and when suggested by hubpages. The traffic is rising up slowly as are the earnings.

41. SpiritLeo profile image64
    SpiritLeoposted 13 years ago

Thank you, it was very helpful to check and understand everything...

42. soni2006 profile image77

Hello Paul/Simone/Ren/HP staff

I have corrected all my hubs according to the new rules listed in the email sent by HP.

Now is there any need to manually check any other hubs for compliance?

Please let me know so that I can proceed with writing and publishing new hubs.

Plus can you please provide any information about HP's April contest?

43. soni2006 profile image77

Thank you so much I can see the contest link on my account page. So the contest will start from March 31, 2011 and end on April 29, 2011 and it's a general writing contest. I suppose one can write on any topic. Thank you so much hubpages. I will start preparing my entries.

44. rebekahELLE profile image84
    rebekahELLEposted 13 years ago

I notice that it says hubs violating these stipulations will be blocked from publication.
    I still see very recently published hubs with 20-30 amazon products, many of which aren't directly related to the hub. hmm

1. Maddie Ruud profile image71
      Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Please flag these, or email me a few links.

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
        rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I wasn't sure.. but will flag them and leave a message. I have seen some great product hubs which look much better than before. KCC has some nice ones recently published.
        The other one I saw tonight is not a product hub, but has products lined up almost the entire length of the text.

1. Maddie Ruud profile image71
          Maddie Ruudposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks, rebekahELLE.  We love us some good flags. wink

1. rebekahELLE profile image84
            rebekahELLEposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I sent you a few links, but some others I couldn't find again.
            I'm still unclear on the policies. One of those links has 40-50 products and it's not a sales hub?  50 amazon products would require 2500 word text.  hmm

45. Angela Harris profile image67
    Angela Harrisposted 13 years ago

Wow, this sucks big time. I have been forcing myself to take a break from my internet slaving. So I've stayed off the internet and even email for awhile to unwind. Got done, sort of, with (censored) taxes, and decide to get back to it.

I was welcomed with email warnings from Hubpages and some unpublished Hubs. But that's not all. I hear about the new Ad program, so I go through all of my old emails. Unless I'm mistaken, I didn't receive an invite, and I'm pretty sure I'm in the top tiers of Hubbers. Maybe it's because I've been inactive awhile. Still...maybe I should just go get a job flipping burgers.

46. Angela Harris profile image67

Okay, got taxes done so I can finally concentrate on republishing tons of hubs. And I'm more confused than ever.

I had fixed a hub awhile back. It was VERY popular, and it was a collection of youtube videos about a specific subject. I really like making these types of hubs, and people enjoy them as well. But it had been unpublished because the videos were all from youtube. Or so I thought at the time. I removed all of the youtube videos but one. I had to get rid of a lot of great videos that could be found nowhere else. I then substituted these for subpar videos found at other sites because that was all I could find. But each video was from a different site, per Hubpages rules, which actually allow 2 links from a site. It was then republished.

So I find out today that it is unpublished again. And it still says it's overly promotional! To add salt to the wound, on my profile page under my favorite subjects, I saw at least 2 hubs set up in similar fashion. They were basically videos about one subject. Guess what? They had at least half a dozen videos, and ALL of them were youtube videos.

???????

1. Aya Katz profile image85
      Aya Katzposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I think we are allowed to have as many YouTube videos as we like. It's not like promoting your own site.

2. Jason Menayan profile image60
      Jason Menayanposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi Angela,

Too many Amazon/eBay products given the number of words on the page. You can either reduce the number of products listed, or add more original, relevant text. smile

47. Angela Harris profile image67

Thanks for the quick replies. I had read and knew about that. Just too tired to concentrate I guess. Sorry.

Also, Jason, hope you can answer concerning Aya's post above. That's not correct, is it? Even youtube videos are limited to 2 links, right?

Also, if commenters add links such as a youtube video, which they often do, will that cause the overly promotional filter to go off?

Thanks again.

48. sunforged profile image71
    sunforgedposted 13 years ago

Some sites are "whitelisted" and do not apply to the 2 per domain rule.

I doubt Youtube has lost its white list status

49. Angela Harris profile image67

Thanks, sunforged. Adorable baby, by the way!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)