jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (11 posts)

Asking hubbers to follow other hubbers

1. CARIBQUEEN profile image77
    CARIBQUEENposted 6 years ago

Why do some hubbers ask other hubbers to follow them? Shouldn't people read your articles and decide to follow you for themselves?

2. Daniel Carter profile image90
    Daniel Carterposted 6 years ago

Yes, I think you're right. Hubbers who notify me to tell me that they are following me and "invite" me to follow them I just ignore. My following anyone is simply based on my likes, my assessment of their writing skills, and several other factors.

This I'll-pat-your-back-so-you-pat-mine thing doesn't work for me at all. I think it's about as effective bulk backlinking to directories. A tactic, which, in the end, doesn't really produce the kind of quality that will elevate us as writers, nor hubpages. Especially now that Almighty Google has changed the algo to foster more organic types of linking.

1. CARIBQUEEN profile image77
      CARIBQUEENposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Gotcha and I agree.

3. Laura du Toit profile image90
    Laura du Toitposted 6 years ago

I would hate somebody to follow me purely for the sake of getting me to follow them. I would prefer that people follow me because they have an interest in what I have to say or my hubs cover topics that they have a genuine interest in.

4. Mark Ewbie profile image84
    Mark Ewbieposted 6 years ago

I think it's wrong to ask, but OK to hint.  Not to be pushy or anything of course, but to kind of subtly appear wherever there might be a thread of following and stuff. 

I'm one of those that doesn't expect anything of followers so you don't have to read anything I've written.  In fact it's better if you don't.

So, er, I'm available to be followed if anyone was thinking of following someone.  Don't feel pressured though, leave it half an hour say, and then when no ones looking just lick (ed:click?)away.

1. Laura du Toit profile image90
      Laura du Toitposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Well I read your best hub first and became an instant follower. It was the way you worded your post that tickled my interest. Love your writing style! smile

1. Mark Ewbie profile image84
        Mark Ewbieposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Ah, er, thanks.  I wasn't seriously touting for business.

Oh well.  Thanks anyway!

1. IzzyM profile image86
          IzzyMposted 6 years ago in reply to this

I'd follow you Mark, if I wasn't already following you!

Too kind Izzy...

2. CARIBQUEEN profile image77
      CARIBQUEENposted 6 years ago in reply to this

Good hint!  Anyway, you should not say that you do not want anyone to read what you have. I believe that is the purpose you joined hubpages, so that other people can enjoy your writings. I am sure however, that someone is going to 'click' exactly half an hour after. Keep the faith (LOL!)

I only joined to get the free $25 dollar sign up fee.

working