Etiquette about requesting that someone follow you?

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (44 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Motown2Chitownposted 13 years ago

Strange (or maybe silly) question - Is there an etiquette about asking another hubber, whose writing you respect and whose input you find valuable, to follow you?  I don't want to seem like a stalker, but there are a couple of hubbers I follow who do not follow me back, and I wish they would - only because I really want their feedback and/or assistance.

1. sofs profile image75
      sofsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You are free to follow but asking some one to follow you is not acceptable ...they would follow you if they found your work  interesting. I am honestly against anyone even implying that I follow them. I have denied many fan mails just because I got a note in my mail box asking me to follow them. this is my honest opinion.
      Welcome to HubPages  smile

2. paradigmsearch profile image59
      paradigmsearchposted 13 years agoin reply to this

First,

Beg.

If that doesn’t work,

Beg vociferously.

If that doesn’t work,

Mention money.

If that doesn’t work,

Mention stalking.

If that doesn’t work,

Well, I guess it isn’t going to happen... smile

1. profile image0
        Motown2Chitownposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh my goodness, paradigmsearch!  I haven't laughed that hard in months...THANK YOU!

Does that stuff really work?  I'm desperate, I'll try anything! ;-)

1. paradigmsearch profile image59

I doubt it, but there is always Flowers Express (or whatever they’re called). smile

1. profile image0

I think you mean 1-800-FLOWERS.  I have an account with them.  I may try that.  Of course, if you want to just post your account and routing number here in the forum, I'll just send cash? tongue

1. paradigmsearch profile image59

lol

2. Rochelle Frank profile image90
              Rochelle Frankposted 13 years agoin reply to this

No, I think you want 1-800- FOLLOWERS.

1. profile image0

Dumb typos....yes, Rochelle, that's actually what I meant! smile

3. relache profile image65
      relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

How rude! 

People shouldn't follow someone whose writing and Hubs they don't know anything about or genuinely like for their own reasons.

1. lightning john profile image60
        lightning johnposted 13 years agoin reply to this

aww! Don't you want to follow me?

2. profile image0

Excellent advice, relache.  Perhaps that's why I have NOT been rude and asked any of the specific hubbers to whom I'm referring to follow me. 

I personally don't feel that asking the question was rude, but I appreciate your very sincere feedback.

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75
          Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not rude in the least,but then it doesnt take much for some peoples feathers to get ruffled lol

Ive had people ask me to follow them. I didnt,but bother me any ,nah (actually I get more flustered by the dinner Im burning)

Keep asking Motown ,post threads,read up, stalk ,lurk ,plead and beg.

I certainly cant offer any expertise ,but the best authors can read between your lines smile

2. relache profile image65
          relacheposted 13 years agoin reply to this

My comment about rudeness was my answer to your question Motown2Chitown, not a statement about your asking the question in the first place.

1. profile image0
            Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Oh boy, that's a relief!

2. Eaglekiwi profile image75

What is the difference?

1. Cagsil profile image70
              Cagsilposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The difference in asking the question in the forums versus asking the individual person to follow you?

Do you see the difference?

1. Eaglekiwi profile image75

No.
                Different words ,conveyed same message smile

Asking about asking other people to follow you? Asking the question itself in a forum isn't rude. But, to ask the individual is rude.

Better?

2. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

I agree with Sofs. Asking someone to follow is in poor taste, although there is a lot of that going around. I would walk on burning coal to help a fellow Hubber, but not follow them on request if they put a gun to my head - metaphorically speaking.

If you need their feedback and assistance, ask them for it directly.

3. profile image0

Fair enough.

Frankly, I am looking more for writing advice than feedback on the subject matter.  I'm perfectly aware of (and comfortable with) the fact that my writing may not be interesting to everyone.  It happens that I find these particular hubbers to be incredibly good writers.  I'd like to know more about how they do it. 

I've never asked another hubber to follow me, actually, sofs.  Nor do I intend to.  Hence the reason for posting this question.  I appreciate your answer.

Website Examiner, I promise not to put a gun to your head (metaphorically or otherwise) in an attempt to get you to follow me.  I think your answer - after that part - about asking them directly for assistance - is the best.

And before someone makes the suggestion about posting a link on Extreme Hub Makeover, I've done that, with some success. 

Guess even asking the question makes me seem like a stalker.  Ack, that certainly wasn't my intention. 

Thanks for the answers, folks. 

smile

1. profile image0
      Website Examinerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Quite the contrary. I think your question is both relevant and well-presented.

1. profile image0

Thanks, WE.  Appreciate the serious consideration you've all given.

2. lorlie6 profile image71
      lorlie6posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yep, it's considered 'bad form' to ask for followers, but on the positive side, interaction with other hubbers is a fabulous way to introduce yourself to folks on the site.
      You're doing a fine job, M2C!
      Welcome and enjoy. smile

1. profile image0

Thank you, lorlie6.  smile 

So far, I enjoy myself here on HubPages.  Not even on this forum looking for followers.  Was really just looking for some feedback on what is or is not considered acceptable, and info about whether it's a HP rule or sort of an unwritten "house rule."

3. Aficionada profile image75
      Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I can understand how you might be reluctant to address someone directly to ask for their feedback.  Others here (including me) have been hesitant to have contact with other Hubbers outside of the forums.  As time has gone on, though, I have gotten to know a few by e-mail and other methods and that has been a rewarding experience in itself.

Don't forget that a Hubber who doesn't want to be contacted would disable the "Contact ---- " button on their profile.  So, if the link is there, you can feel confident that the Hubber in question at least permits it, or perhaps even welcomes it.  It does not need to feel like stalking to you.

1. profile image0

Good point, Aficionada.  I suppose if they wanted to offer assistance, they'd do so under those circumstances.  If not, it would certainly be easy enough to ignore.  :-)

*Edit - While I'm not shy, I do find myself reluctant to approach some hubbers that way simply because I don't want to impose.  Or, have them thinking I'm Annie Wilkes...you know, their (#1 FAN!)*

1. Aficionada profile image75
          Aficionadaposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol  lol

I totally understand - but I think the wording can help take care of that. To Start Again suggested a sentence to use, and it sounded rather awesome to me!

You can probably get an idea from the tone of a Hubber's forum posts and from their own comments on their Hubs (responses to other writers) what sort of response you might be likely to get from them.  That could guide you as to whom you might decide to contact.

Also, if you are not aware of it:  Website Examiner has a new account specifically for reviewing others' Hubs, I believe.  I'll try to find it and post a link.  (Did you know about his amazing feat of reviewing 100 Hubs in a very short period of time?)

4. To Start Again profile image68
      To Start Againposted 13 years agoin reply to this

there actually used to be a link on our profile pages that said something like 'invite people to join your fan club' or some such. Sending a request to join your followers via fan mail, I have to agree, would be- and is- bad form. I guess requesting at all kind of is. The others were right- they will follow if they like what they read...but on the flip side, unless they check out your hubs, they won't know if they like it. You kind of just have to hope that someone you follow decides to check out your profile.

Otherwise, as was also suggested, you can contact them thru their profiles. Shoot them an email and say 'hey I like your style, think you're a great writer, and would love to get some feedback from you or any tips you think you can give" I think you would be surprised how helpful hubbers can be smile

And, just because you follow someone doesn't mean they will follow you back and following you doesn't always mean those hubbers will read your work. So, if you want some genuine critique/advise,  i would definitely email the hubbers in question directly smile some don't even notice when they have acquired a new follower...

4. Lily Rose profile image84
    Lily Roseposted 13 years ago

I agree with the responses here. If someone leaves me fan mail and asks that I follow them in return I immediately delete/deny it because it is rude. When someone follows me, I usually do check out their profile and maybe a hub or two and then make my own decision as to whether or not I want to follow them.

As far as requesting advice on your ubs, there's always the Extreme Hub Makeover forum...

5. profile image0
    Marye Audetposted 13 years ago

I don't tend to follow people, not because I want to be rude or ignore them... but because I work long hours and rarely have time to read articles that I am not editing (for pay) or using as research...even of the people I follow..if that makes sense.

You can get a lot of writing help by READING the articles of the writers you admire and becoming knowledgeable about how they structure their hubs, use words, and craft their sentences. By reading their articles, not for information but to analyze their style, you can implement the things you like into your own writing over time. smile

6. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 13 years ago

Etiquette about requesting that someone follow you? It shouldn't be done. If you and the hubber have something in common, then it is most likely to happen without your request. wink

7. Aficionada profile image75
    Aficionadaposted 13 years ago

This is the account that offers a free review of your hubs.  http://hubpages.com/profile/Novelty+Reviews

Do understand, though, that the review itself would be made into a Hub which anyone could read.  If you are wanting private input and feedback, the better route would be to contact someone directly.  Extreme Hub Makeover is also a good route, but it is more public than you might want.

8. Mikeydoes profile image41
    Mikeydoesposted 13 years ago

Rather than asking them to be your follower, why not contact them and ask them your questions? You don't need them to follow you, that is for sure, they can still read all of your work.

There is no right or wrong way to go about Hubpages, and nothing is really wrong with asking someone to follow you. The thing is, I'm sure many won't follow you back.

It seems like you don't want them to follow you, it seems to me like you would like to talk to them. If you do keep in contact with these people, that will certainly increase your chance.

9. profile image0
    Website Examinerposted 13 years ago

Eaglekiwi is no delinquent. I suspect she has fully understood but made a point of her own. Not very clear, perhaps, but a point nonetheless.

10. Eaglekiwi profile image75
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

Thanks W.E

Initially I thought Relache sounded abrupt (IMO) for a seasoned hubber addressing a new Hubber,however we are all different.

2nd Point.

Given the question was asked in the forum,I read the posts appropriately (IMO).

Finally I guess Relache was directing her answer to Motown and neither me or you Cags lol

11. profile image0

Well, now that the dust has settled a bit, I'd like to thank each of you for responding to the OP.  I'm taking away that the good majority of folks find it rude and/or unacceptable to request that a fellow hubber follow you.  Each of you may rest assured that I have neither done so, nor intend to do so.

I'm also taking away that the best means of requesting the critique/evaluation/advice of fellow hubbers is to contact them directly through their profile's contact option.  I'm not shy, and if they haven't disabled their profile's contact option, I'm guessing they aren't either.

Thanks a bunch for all the feedback.  It was much appreciated.  And, at the end of the day, I guess it's not stalking. 

smile

12. Mighty Mom profile image75
    Mighty Momposted 13 years ago

Yeah, the etiquette on Hub Pages is a different from places like Facebook.
    It is considered rude to come right out and ask someone to follow you. Especially if you say that in a fan mail you leave for someone. Not cool.

What is allowed (encouraged, even), is commenting on someone's hub and stating that it's a topic you are very interested in and have written about yourself. Ask if the hubber minds if you link to their hub in your hub. That's a subtle (and effective) way to get the hubber to visit your hub on the topic and more than likely cross-link with you.
    But you can't count on the person actually following you just on that one exchange.

Be an active contributor -- post in forums, write hubs, comment on hubs -- and people WILL notice. Oh yes, and be patient! It takes time to build your reputation!
    You're doing great so far! MM

1. profile image0

Thanks, MM - It's funny, you're one of the folks who started following me as a result of my participation in the forums.  After giving it some thought earlier today, I have in fact asked another hubber to follow me, although it was done in jest in a comment on one of his absolutely fabulous hubs. 

I make an open apology for that now.  smile

I have never, ever - nor would I - ask in someone's fan mail for them to follow me.  My theory is sort of that fan mail is to say why I choose to follow them, not to pimp myself out to them.

As always, your feedback is appreciated and incredibly sensible. 

Thanks!

2. Cagsil profile image70

You're doing great Mighty Mom. Keep up the good work. tongue

lol lol lol lol and no you don't have to follow me, because you already are. tongue

13. Mighty Mom profile image75

Yeah,I am.  But if I wasn't already, I would follow you in a heartbeat, Cags!!
    Love the angel avatar. Very fantasy fiction. Very androgynous, too. Cool!

lol lol smile

14. Mighty Mom profile image75

You can ring my be-e-ell, ring my bell!

Cute. You're adorable. lol lol

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)