Blogger or hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (21 posts)
  1. paulthomas500 profile image60
    paulthomas500posted 15 years ago

both in terms of audience and revenue, which is better- blogger or hubpages?

2. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

apples or oranges?

1. darkside profile image62
      darksideposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I prefer mandarins.

1. Janet21 profile image79
        Janet21posted 15 years agoin reply to this

yuck!  I don't like mandarins. never have smile

3. paulthomas500 profile image60

but still in terms of revenue n audience- a comparison can be made right

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image59
      Ryan Hupferposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Hey paulthomas500!

When you're talking about Blogger and HubPages you are definitely talking about two very different things. In my mind(off the top of my head) they are different in these ways:

1. A blog is MUCH more conversational and is mostly written in a more personal way that is only relevant to a small group of people such as friends, families, etc. A Hub is best written when it is more topical based, meaning that it is relevant to a much broader audience like an audience that would be searching for it on Google, etc. This makes HubPages a much greater place to run targeted ad campaigns such as Google AdSense because the content is more searchable an more relevant to those who find it.

2. As far as traffic as a whole goes, you can check out HubPages traffic over here and you can check out Blogger's traffic over here. As you'll see, Blogger has MUCH more traffic, but that doesn't mean that there is greater potential to have a bigger audience or to make more revenue. HubPages has much more of a focus on having great, relevant content and also has a great community of Hubbers, which makes it an amazing place to write on the web.

Does this help you out?

1. profile image0
        daflaposted 15 years agoin reply to this

uh...how many blogs have you read lately?  Maybe they used to be that way when they started, but now, blogs are by and large not personal, and are very much an avenue for topical based material.

Even the major newspapers and t.v. stations have blogs now.   Sorry, but your thinking is way behind the times.

Blogger gets more traffic simply because it's been around a very long time and has a ton of blogs on it.  If you do a site: search on Google, for blogspot.com you get 343,000,000 (yes, that's 343 MILLION) hits.  Hubpages is 1,400,000.

But when you go to a Blogger blog, you're just going to that one blog, and when you come to Hubpages, you can branch off into the site as a whole.

4. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

There are so many other variables that just comparing the two is meaningless.

5. paulthomas500 profile image60

then considering all the other variables- which is better. one has to be right. survival of the fittest- thats the law in practice right

6. paulthomas500 profile image60

sure Ryan. u did a wonderful job explaining that question. thanks 4 the help

1. Ryan Hupfer profile image59
      Ryan Hupferposted 15 years agoin reply to this

No problem, my man.

What are you wanting to write about? I see that you have a good niche of electronics-based Hubs already written. It's good to find a subject that you like to write about and then do a little bit of keyword/search engine research to see exactly what you should be writing about.

Also, your title is very, very important so make sure that it's as search-friendly as possible.

7. Janet21 profile image79
    Janet21posted 15 years ago

I say if you have the time, do both. smile

8. paulthomas500 profile image60

i'll do that Ryan and Janet, wouldnt concentrating on one at a time be better?. cos i'd hav to establish myself as a gud writer first n all that n that'll burn out precious tym n energy n that was why i wanted to know which one would be a better option, so that i maybe able to invest my resources effectively on that.

9. Maddie Ruud profile image73
    Maddie Ruudposted 15 years ago

If you're just starting out with writing on the web, you may want some more immediate feedback and rewards, in which case, I'd say start with HubPages.  Here we have an established community, and we also have a lot of value already built into the site, as far as authority with search engines and backlinks to the site.  It might be an easier way to begin, because if you start your own blog from scratch, you have to build it from the ground up, and it is easy to get discouraged.

Another benefit of HubPages is that it is easy to use, even for those who have no knowledge of (or even interest in) coding and programming.  Capsules make it easy to format your hub and add photos/videos without worrying about coding at all.

1. paulthomas500 profile image60
      paulthomas500posted 15 years agoin reply to this

i'll take your word for that Maddie. so hubpages it shall be

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree.   I tried a couple of blogs on Blogger and got virtually no traffic. 

I started writing on HubPages about the same subjects and got traffic very quickly.

I've been told that in the long run a blog will make more money than HubPages - but that depends on picking the right topic and understanding how to promote it.  HubPages is a great option while you're on that learning curve.

10. guidebaba profile image56
    guidebabaposted 15 years ago

Blogger.

11. knslms profile image64
    knslmsposted 15 years ago

I have also tried blogger with no success. Blogger would probably be a good option if you have alot of time to put in to learning promotion.

12. johnr54 profile image48
    johnr54posted 15 years ago

The biggest difference is that Hubpages are part of a large site, and well written articles can have the power to rank and draw traffic without a major link building effort on your part.  Of course any page will do better with some promotion, but HP will do OK on their own.  Blogger sites are an island, and need help to rank.

In addition, if you are interested in generating some affiliate revenue, the tools on HP make it easier to get started, while they do limit what you can do to some simple blocks.

The downside is that you share any revenue with HP.

Overall, if you are just getting started, sites like HP and Squidoo let you focus on more on generating content and less on generating traffic.

13. dingdong profile image57
    dingdongposted 15 years ago

HubPages is better big_smile

14. profile image0
    panniniposted 15 years ago

use both, you'll get more audience and more revenue.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)