jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (16 posts)

HP is unreliable

1. perrya profile image82
    perryaposted 5 years ago

Twice, I created text, taking considerable time, during this time, the autosave feature indicated it worked. I went to publish, the screen dimmed, the text box shifted to the right and it just froze. I started again and went to retrieve the text, nothing had been saved!!! Ugh!

I give up until this is fixed. I use Chrome. The HP staff should examine the code and make sure it is correct and working, if not, shut down HP until is so.

1. Mark Painter profile image60
      Mark Painterposted 5 years ago in reply to this

I believe we just fixed the problem.  I'm very sorry for the inconvenience.  Please, verify with a quick test edit.

1. perrya profile image82
        perryaposted 5 years ago in reply to this

well, a quick test seemed to verify it is fixed, at least the screen did not dim.

2. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Perrya, I also prefer to write directly into the Hub, but it IS a risk.   Even if HubPages is working correctly, you've always got the risk of a computer or network glitch. 

Sensible Hubbers write in a word processing program first, then cut and paste.

2. Cagsil profile image85
    Cagsilposted 5 years ago
  3. carpesomediem profile image60
    carpesomediemposted 5 years ago

Perrya, I always save my text in a document before beginning to work on my hubs on the site.  The editing issues have been frustrating lately, but it's at least saved me the headache of losing text itself.  It doesn't solve the whole problem, but it makes it a little easier to deal with.  smile

4. earnestshub profile image87
    earnestshubposted 5 years ago

I always write straight in the hub itself. I don't claim to be sensible though.

I have always been able to rescue a recent draft because I type so slowly. smile

1. Marisa Wright profile image93
      Marisa Wrightposted 5 years ago in reply to this

You and me both, Earnest!  I know I should write my Hubs in Word but for some reason, writing straight into the Hub feels easier.

5. Randy Godwin profile image94
    Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago

I lost an article when I first started writing on another site because I didn't write in Word.  Not again, besides, I always have a copy if I need to retrieve it.  smile

6. RedElf profile image86
    RedElfposted 5 years ago

Smart cookie, er Snakie... big_smile

1. Randy Godwin profile image94
      Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Well, it did take only once for me to know better!  lol

1. Lisa HW profile image83
        Lisa HWposted 5 years ago in reply to this

It took a few times (believe it or not) for me to know better.  lol   roll    (Well, I still apparently didn't quite "completely know" because just a week ago or so I made the mistake of answering a ton of long comments with a ton of long responses, only to accidentally hit something and lose the whole business!  roll   Now I think I think I've finally learned to be sufficiently "paranoid" about copies.   lol

1. Randy Godwin profile image94
          Randy Godwinposted 5 years ago in reply to this

Yep, sometimes I wish I had wrote my comments on word too!  lol

7. MPG Narratives profile image85
    MPG Narrativesposted 5 years ago

I sometimes still write straight into the hub but only if I know the subject matter and will write it fast. Most of the time though I use word. Like 'snake' I then have a copy. smile

8. Mark Ewbie profile image84
    Mark Ewbieposted 5 years ago

I always use Word for Hubs.  But I'm not wriitng sales or information pitches.  More just a load of words.

So I type and type, and check the word count - don't want to go on too long.

Then I wander back through looking for sensible places for capsule breaks and add some headings.

Once I feel the 'article' is more or less done then I put it into a Hub.  Sometimes the look of it on a Hub page means a bit more editing for layout purposes.

Press publish, and immediately notice at least five glaring errors.

9. quotations profile image94
    quotationsposted 5 years ago

I have had similar problems. After the first time this happened I learned that it is best to write the entire hub on a word processor on your computer, saving after every paragraph you write, and then copy and pasting the text into the capsules in the hub page editor. This way if hubpages has a glitch you will at least have a saved copy on your computer.