What's your hub writing technique?

Jump to Last Post 1-23 of 23 discussions (26 posts)
  1. riotgrrrl profile image68
    riotgrrrlposted 15 years ago

Do you have a particular technique for writing your hubs?

Do you write it out first on paper, or do you create it as you go along? How long does it take you ,on average to write a hub?
    x

2. Lissie profile image75
    Lissieposted 15 years ago

Paper whats that! I can't write on paper anymore - I do however generally write the content in a wordprocessor or similar and then cut and paste it to hubpages - Why? Ive lost too many words when text capsules fail to save - probably because of my ISP but it does happen from time to time.
    Also for a longer hub its easier to see it on one page and edit it in one go I then create the capsules (vid photo) etc as I go.
    Lenght of time - somewhere from 30min to days - depends on how well I know the topic

3. DonnaCSmith profile image84
    DonnaCSmithposted 15 years ago

I write mine in Word first, do my editing, etc. Then transfer to the hub page.

Years ago I used to have to write on paper first, then go to the computer. I loved those big legal pads;o) I still write notes on paper when I am working on a book or article.

4. AEvans profile image72
    AEvansposted 15 years ago

Sometimes I just begin to write my thoughts on HubPages review and publish , other times I save it to word and go back and review and then transfer to HubPages, it just really depends.smile

5. Jerilee Wei profile image69
    Jerilee Weiposted 15 years ago

I write my opening paragraph, then my notes, and any outside links in word.  Then, think on key words and title, and finally write the entire hub online in layers, in between doing whatever life has going on.  This stop and start method, helps me see errors and proof read, whenever I come back to the hub, before finishing.

6. Uninvited Writer profile image80
    Uninvited Writerposted 15 years ago

It depends if research is necessary or not. I tend to do a lot of my writing on paper still, for HubPages and for the other sites I write for. Of course, the writing I do do on paper is more in note form. But f I'm doing some writing on my breaks at work I write it all out.

7. waynet profile image69
    waynetposted 15 years ago

I sit on the toilet and really strain those cheeks and think long and hard about the hub writing day ahead, I have so many unfinished hubs in my account that this year one of my resolutions is to clear them out, I often sit on the old potty and think with a notepad, although I do have a laptop in every room except the toilet (I don't want to splash it with...yes anyway!)

My technique if you can call it a technique is to write the titles of things I like and just random thoughts I may have and then go off and research it a bit further, usually though the subjects are my hobbies like fantasy art, affiliate marketing and online promotion and blogging.

A top tip is to write and never stop except for toilet breaks!!

1. goldentoad profile image59
      goldentoadposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I agree with you on this, sometimes its where your deepest thoughts can happen! For me, I might catch a little peace and quiet in there and maybe that's the trick to it all, just get to that quiet little place, happy thoughts, happy thoughts, we're on our way.....

8. Houellebecq profile image60
    Houellebecqposted 15 years ago

I only write, for the most part, when I'm angry and bitter (which can be more than my normal state of being). A lot of my things come across as sarcastic and humorous and that's actually what got me through my first degree.
    I wish I could offer better advice pertaining to your interests but it's really the only thing that works with me.

I think finding great topics to write on that are a little odd tend to help too. Absurdity is really a friend of mine.

9. SweetiePie profile image82
    SweetiePieposted 15 years ago

I type all my hubs into the hub publishing software and edit there.  Sometimes on breaks at work I go back to old hubs to paste these into Microsoft Word to check for any errors.  However, since I do not have a word processing program on my computer I just find it easier this way.

1. LondonGirl profile image81
      LondonGirlposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Have you tried OpenOffice? Free, open source, and great.

10. riotgrrrl profile image68

thank you all for your thoughtfull responces, it's interesting to hear what techniques other people use.

Thus far i have written mine straight into the capsules, but this is coz i'm new and eager and stuff... i'm sure when the novelty wears off i'll go back to wordprocessing then cope paste!

11. Marisa Wright profile image87
    Marisa Wrightposted 15 years ago

I tend to write in the capsules direct.  I can see how it's shaping up and where it needs pictures, videos etc.  However I often end up cutting and pasting between Word and the Hub, especially if my computer's having a slow day.

12. profile image0
    multimasteryposted 15 years ago

It's Microsoft word for me typically then to HubPages!

13. Misha profile image62
    Mishaposted 15 years ago

The rule of thumb for online publishing is to write offline in the word processor of your choice and then copy and paste. The reason for this is possibility to lose all or significant part of your work if connection/site problem occurs.

It gets really frustrating to see the results of a few hours of work just evaporate into nowhere, and one occurrence is usually enough for most people to get the idea smile

14. rmshdc profile image57
    rmshdcposted 15 years ago

I do write on word processor first.  Since most of my hubs photo-based (glamour), my contents are short.  But still I prefer writing it in word processor.

Very occasion, I do it write on capsuals - to properly align the pictures and text.

15. ocbill profile image52
    ocbillposted 15 years ago

nice to hear people saving trees by using "Word" (gulp Microsoft hater) or Notepad which are actually two really good programs from the giant. I only have qualms with their browser

16. Denny Lyon profile image60
    Denny Lyonposted 15 years ago

Ditto with Misha on this one.   I always go Word, find the breaks for photo insertions and mark them. 

Occasionally, I will write into a capsule as it looks like it could use a subtitle.

Go to flickr where I favorite the ones for the hub, download them into my computer just long enough to get uploaded into the hubpages editor - rather than upload from the url which sometimes gets disconnected - then delete them from my computer once the hub has published.

Send the hub and photos to CD burner and voila! look no paper!

Though sometimes, when the photos are too awesome I will print the whole hub, oh well, so much for going green...

17. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 15 years ago

I've done both ways, writing entire hub text out in Word then cutting/pasting into Hub capsules. I've found recently, however, that typing directly into text capsules is more efficient. I tend to put only about 1 paragraph of text in each capsule so I have more flexibility to interrupt text with photos, links, affiliate offers, videos, etc. In other words, the Hub grows organically like a "hub" rather than as an article.
    I download photos to my computer and pull them into the hub capsules as needed, then delete from the computer. This works for me better than pulling them directly from websites.

I will admit, tho, that I've experienced tech glitches and computer slowdowns that make me crazy. Sometimes capsules (typically not text, but video and affiliate) just WILL NOT save for anything. So I have to sign out of HP and go do something else while I calm down. Otherwise I'm in that 'doing the same thing over and over expecting a different result' called INSANITY mode.

18. profile image0
    C. C. Riterposted 15 years ago

Good question there. Misha has it right on the nose. I get my idea, maybe jot a note or two, research when I need to and then open up my Word and start writing, usually until I'm finished. I try to pour over it for typos and misspellings then park it awhile, let it reat. Sometimes i let Wee One read it first. After a time i will proofread it, add something if I feel it needs it and when i'm satisfied with it, I cut and paste into hub editor and go over it several times again and with MUCH trepidation I finally publish. Scares the hell out of me every time. I guess that keeps on my toes.
    I would hate to lose all that work because of a glitch online, especially if you feel it's pretty good.

19. lindagoffigan profile image59
    lindagoffiganposted 15 years ago

Why not write a rough draft of your work and then type the content into word with the spell checker doing its job.  Copy and paste the content from word onto the hub page.  Again use the spell checker on the edit Hub page.  Then proofread the content on the Hubpage by reading the content aloud making sure that you have a conversational tone to your content.  This procedure is what I do with each Hub.  Once I receive comments, I reread the content to check for errors.  Sounds like a lot of writing, copying and pasting, rereading and proofreading, and reviewing comment but if you love writing, you want to produce a good product worthy of my readership.

20. MarikaGnize profile image59
    MarikaGnizeposted 15 years ago

As most of the others around here, I also will type in in Word, most of the time, and the copy it wherever I want...
    the thing is, it happened to me couple times before (which is why I changed my method) sometimes it can take several minutes to write something, when its got real value, and the servers of the website would sometimes kick me out or there would be a bug and I lost everything I had written...!!!
    "Nooooooo- nooo-nooo-nonono"!!!!!
    (this is what I was saying in my head!!tongue)

I think it happened like 3 times to me until I really got tired and changed my ways!!!!

So, don't make the same mistakes!!!

Enjoy your day and go check my hubs and say hi!!

M

21. dineane profile image80
    dineaneposted 15 years ago

I soooo know what you mean! I read, re-read, re-read, repeat, repeat, repeat, publish, and then compulsively re-read some more, and most of the time, I edit several times immediately after publishing ;-)

I think I've written a couple of hubs straight into the capsules, but usually I start in a word processor. If it's something fairly involved, that will take more than one visit, I work in Word. If I'm just churning something out quickly, I use notepad. If I don't have access to my computer (see my Jury Duty hub), I return to paper. Some things just work better on paper for me. I still journal on paper almost every day. Something about the physical part of pen on paper makes me "feel" like a writer.

And now the confession, this post is the most I've written in a *(&%$ month or more! And when I get busy with the J.O.B., or blocked, or whatever you want to call this unproductive state that visits every so often, I especially like to get back to pen and paper.

22. Robin Layne profile image74
    Robin Layneposted 15 years ago

One of you mentioned printing a Hub. I didn't realize that was possible. Of course, I should know you can print any website, maybe. I wonder what it would look like in print.
    Well, I guess I'm boring, because I do the same thing most of you do, write it in Word first. The headings often come last and may not materialize until I'm just about to cut and paste into the capsules. But my reason is not just to avoid losing my text and because I'm used to Word's editing function. It's also because I have friends without computers and I want to be able to print my articles for them if they're interested. The articles are best with the art and all, which of course I add from my computer. I was about to say I'm not going to print my Hubs with their art and all from the site, but it just occurred to me that I can put them in my portfolio. I'm off to try printing one!

23. riotgrrrl profile image68

Ive started to use Word now instead of writing directly into the hub, it helps me to play about with the information on the screen and get it all exactly as i want it, before i upload.
    Thanks for all the responces by the way, lots of valuable comments :-)
    xxx

1. profile image0
      C. C. Riterposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Good for you and the best of hubbing.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)