jump to last post 1-9 of 9 discussions (9 posts)

Is self linking between your own hubs a good idea?

1. John D Lee profile image89
    John D Leeposted 9 years ago

I write on food and cooking, and I'm often writing a hub and need to explain a concept about which I've previously written about. It would be simpler to simply link directly to another hub instead of repeating myself.

The reason I don't do it is that I am worried about a google perception of creating false backlinks.

It would be great if I could both create some backlinks, and as well provide the info I want to my readers.

Should I be worried about this?

Many thanks,

2. ForTheLove profile image90
    ForTheLoveposted 9 years ago

I too wonder about this issue because I tend to write about groups of topics and subdivide the subjects into different articles so that I can go more indepth with them. Is this a bad idea?

3. relache profile image88
    relacheposted 9 years ago

I use the groups feature to link up my related articles.

4. John D Lee profile image89

Thanks for the advice. I use the groups feature too, but since I have a fair number of similar hubs, they don't necessarily link up to an exactly related hub...

I might be writing about how to cook a certain cut of steak, and want to link to a very much earlier written hub on how to cook steak on a grill, and I just wonder if this type of internal linking between pages is seen by google as back-link manipulation, is a positive thing ;or makes no linking difference at all in terms of building traffic?

5. Stacie Naczelnik profile image90
    Stacie Naczelnikposted 9 years ago

I don't link to other hubs in every hub I create, but do it sometimes.

Check out the links at the bottom:

I've seen other hubbers do it, so I don't think it is a problem.

6. Maddie Ruud profile image82
    Maddie Ruudposted 9 years ago

I do it all the time.  It hasn't hurt me in the slightest.  But now that I'm reaching 100 hubs, for organization's sake, I'm going to create directory-type hubs so I only have to link in one place.  It's worked well for me on my Recipe Database.

7. John D Lee profile image89

Thanks Maddie and Stacie,

I think I will start doing as you both are already and linking together my hubs when related.

Stacie, I love the look of your hubs...very professional!!! And I'll follow your lead Maddie and start sub grouping my hubs.

8. retireyoung profile image59
    retireyoungposted 9 years ago

This practice in SEO (search engine optimization) is called internal linking and it helps not only get traffic, but with your rankings.  Just do it naturally where you think it will help people.  Use good keywords in the anchor text rather just writing "click here".

9. Patty Inglish, MS profile image89
    Patty Inglish, MSposted 9 years ago

Thanks for all the information in this thread. I did not know what a banklink is, actually. lol  I'm still figuring out the scoring system I think.