Can you make a part time job out of writing for hubpages?

Jump to Last Post 1-10 of 10 discussions (26 posts)
  1. jfay2011 profile image61
    jfay2011posted 12 years ago

I mean can it be done?  I've made it to sixty cents this month.  That's the most I have made so far, but am not sure if you can really make a lot on hubpages?  Is it possible to do it?  I've just written six to eight hubs today.  I'm guessing that the more often you publish hubs and comment on forums, answer questions, etc..  the more successful.
    But can people really make a lot at this?  Can it work?  I'm not very good at linking stuff yet.  I haven't learned how to do that.

1. relache profile image73
      relacheposted 12 years agoin reply to this

It's quality, not quantity, that is more effective.  I make close to a full-time living from HubPages, but I did it by writing about one Hub per week, not many per day.  You need to learn what you are doing and why if earning is your goal.  Commenting and being active should be secondary or tertiary to creating good content and learning what works best for your style of writing and your topics.

1. David 470 profile image81
        David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

+1

2. jfay2011 profile image61
        jfay2011posted 12 years agoin reply to this

Thats so true.  Thats why I love writing about things I LOVE and just write because I love it.  We get inspired about different things all the time and we shouldn't hold ouselves back.

3. jfay2011 profile image61

I do like to spend some time giving people feedback.  As much as I like to receive it, I also feel it's nice to give a piece of myself too.

Yay, I learned how  to link something!  I saw the link at the top of the page after I published a hub.

2. Cagsil profile image69
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

There are people earning over $1000 per month? Is that part-time earnings or full-time earnings?

I mean, depending on the number of hours worked at a job, it could be like full-time worker's pay.

$8.00 x 40 hours: $320 per week. Times the average 4.5 weeks =? $1440 per month?

It may take a while to reach that point, but it can be done. wink

Wow, that's good incentive.  I'm on my kids computers right now.  My computer crashed due to my daughters milk spill earlier this year and it finally bit the dust.  I love to write.  Maybe once I get a new computer, I can spring for internet again at my place and work into the wee hours writing.  I hardly ever get writer's block.

that's true, but it would be interesting to keep writing for the love of it and to see a little income to come with it.  I'm in a part time job right now where they have cut me back to four or five hours a week since January and it's hard to find other jobs.  My dream job would be to get my photography business and paperdoll business off the ground but it would be nice to make a little more from hubpages too.  Even five hundred a month would be pretty darn good.  And soon I might be moving in with my boyfriend, who doesn't mind if I just help out with groceries for a while while I use my alimony to pay off my credit card that I sunk my self publishing expenses on.  That will be nice.  Then when that's done, I'll keep getting my alimony for ten more years and anything else will be extra.  I had a photography job last week but it's still slow because I'm new to other people.

1. Barbara Kay profile image73
          Barbara Kayposted 12 years agoin reply to this

There are places on the web where you can get paid for your photography. Anther idea too is to make a site with your paper doll business.'

My earnings keep climbing here at Hubpages. I think you need to just stick to it and keep writing quality hubs and you'll see some good money.

Why don't you write some hubs about photography since you're into that and about your paper dollmaking too. That sounds like some good hubs.

That sounds like a good idea.  I,m in the process of creating a website with vistaprint. Its going to take some time as I have lots of sets.

I have tried Zazzle and Backprint but have had no luck there.

3. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

It is certainly possible but I would suggest earning a "cushion" of money to fall back on in case earning levels on Hubpages suddenly change.  It is not the most reliable source of income.

1. Cagsil profile image69
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

And Hubpages shouldn't be the only source of income when it comes to writing online. wink

*just adding on to Psyche's comment. smile

1. Hollie Thomas profile image60
        Hollie Thomasposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, Cagsil and Psycheskinner make perfect sense here. Have something to fall back on, write for HP out of interest and fun. See Hp as a long term investment that may prove lucrative.

2. David 470 profile image81
      David 470posted 12 years agoin reply to this

I also suggest saving money that you get with HubPages if you start making several hundred a month or less - since you do not know how much you will earn exactly.

4. KCC Big Country profile image86
    KCC Big Countryposted 12 years ago

I make a great supplemental income here.  I'm not where I can quit my day job, but I sure can pay quite a few bills with what I make here.  I'm working on a hub about my journey in response to a request from a few hubbers.

5. David 470 profile image81
    David 470posted 12 years ago

I recently started to make a part-time income on HubPages. So far this month I have made over 300 dollars.

The fact that HubPages introduced the HubPages Ad program, subdomains, and the newer ads has really helped me. Plus the fact that I have not given up, and never stopped writing entirely.

What I want to know though, is if someone writes part-time but makes at least 1000 dollars a month, is that considered full-time income??

1. Aficionada profile image80
      Aficionadaposted 12 years agoin reply to this

"Full-time," as defined how?  If someone earns minimum wage and works the minimum number of hours per week to be considered "full-time," they would probably make somewhat more than that, but not hugely more.  But that's at minimum wage and minimum hours.

Who is asking this part-time vs. full-time question?

2. WriteAngled profile image74
      WriteAngledposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Well, if it's earned by part-time work, then by definition it's part-time income. Whether it would be equivalent to a full-time income in terms of being sufficient as someone's only source of income depends very much on individual circumstances.

$12,000 per year is about £7,500 - there is no way I could survive on that sum in the UK. Not with a mortgage and living on my own.

6. Aficionada profile image80
    Aficionadaposted 12 years ago

Actually (adding to/revising my previous post), some employers consider 30 hours per week to be full-time.  In that case, using the Federal minimum wage figure (which many states also follow), the $1000/month is actually slightly more than the 30-hour full-time minimum-wage earner would earn.

7. freecampingaussie profile image61
    freecampingaussieposted 12 years ago

I am on $22,80 an hour at my job a bit higher than some jobs & less than others so I would need to earn over $500 a week to not work elsewhere . I am a casual not fulltime (40 hours )Would be great to even earn $100 a week at the moment tho !  So far this month I am just over $9 here .

Even that is cool compared to sixty cents.  I thought that was all people made.

8. ubanichijioke profile image75
    ubanichijiokeposted 12 years ago

Great topic. I love the discussions. Keep it rolling!

9. Gordon Hamilton profile image93
    Gordon Hamiltonposted 12 years ago

Jay, you most definitely can but further to previous answers, it's not something that you quit the day job to do.

Writing online was initially a sub earner for me and when I lost my offline business at the time of Credit Crunch, I decided to make a go of what I was already doing in a part time capacity. I make a living from writing online but it is a very, very basic one and my days of holidays/vacations or even days off are long gone. I work seven days a week, fifty-two weeks a year, twelve to fourteen hours a day, writing, researching, photographing, or whatever. Everything I do is geared towards making money from the text or photographs from my pursuits.

This lifestyle suits me these days and I enjoy it but it's certainly not for everyone... smile

10. Dennis AuBuchon profile image61
    Dennis AuBuchonposted 12 years ago

Writing for hubpages is a part time job for me as I work full time.  I enjoy writing and hubpages is one of the sites for which I publish articles.  I enjoy providing input on other answers, hubs and forum topics.  The amount of money you earn on hubpages depends on the quality and topics on which you write and how much interest they draw.  Earnings for part time jobs can be large or small amount but getting the recognition for your writing and the exposure cannot be measured in terms of money.

Exposure for a writer is key to writing success whether you only write for hubpages or other entities.  Quality is the key ingredient.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)