Nasty comments from outside of Hubpages

Jump to Last Post 1-20 of 20 discussions (29 posts)
  1. angela p profile image68
    angela pposted 12 years ago

I have experienced my first round of nasty comments tonight.  Someone from outside of Hubpages created an account to just leave nasty comments on a few of my hubs.  They were making comments about how I don't feed my children...??  And don't make them brush their teeth?  LOL.  I do think this person knows me and I wish I could find out who it is.  I flagged their profile and deleted the nasty comments.  After I cried of course.  I have what I think is their IP address from where I clicked on the spam button in the commenting section.  The only thing I can find is it belongs to Verizon.  Any suggestions on how to determine the individual that an IP address belongs to?
    Their profile is or was TheVirginian.

1. LoriSoard profile image65
      LoriSoardposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Angela, so sorry this happened to you, but I wouldn't let it bother me. The person is such a coward that they can't even express their anger to your face, but have to create a fake account and attack you online. They aren't worth another second of your time. You handled it right. You cried and got that out of your system. Now, put your energy into writing an article about when cowards attack or something like that. Try to have a happy new year smile

1. rmcrayne profile image91
        rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Why is your hubber score so low?  All of your hub scores are in the 60s and 70s.  Are you an excessive follower?

1. wordscribe43 profile image90
          wordscribe43posted 12 years agoin reply to this
          1. rmcrayne profile image91
            rmcrayneposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Ah, thanks.  Happy New Year to you too.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 12 years ago

Try typing in the IP address on Google and finding out the specific location. It might help you. Otherwise, I would do as you did.

3. angela p profile image68

Thanks Cagsil.  I will try that.

1. Cagsil profile image71
      Cagsilposted 12 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome. smile

4. rbe0 profile image60
    rbe0posted 12 years ago

personally i would have loved the free publicity.

publicity is publicity, good or bad.

5. angela p profile image68

I guess I didn't think too much about the free publicity at the time.  I was devastated by some of the things they said.  Very hurtful and most of them were about me as a parent.  Either way, I did see my traffic increase on the hubs that they commented on for awhile.

6. wordscribe43 profile image90
    wordscribe43posted 12 years ago

Ugh, Angela... many of us have had to deal with this from time to time, I'm afraid.  I have my comment capsules set so they are all moderated...  I noticed you just got another comment from this individual that seems to have slid through.  Set your comment capsules to "must be approved by the author."  Don't read the comments, you don't have to.  Just delete!  Hang in there.  sad

7. angela p profile image68

wordscribe43 - I cannot believe people are so immature.  I do have it set to moderate and keep hitting deny.  Oh well.  I guess some people are just crazy and have nothing better to do than harass others.  Thanks for the kind words.

You're welcome, I've been there...  I read your hub and can't imagine what on Earth anyone would take issue with.  I'm baffled, frankly.  Oh well, further proof it has nothing to do with you.  If it weren't you, it would be someone else.  hmm

2. wordscribe43 profile image90

I just commented and my comment went right through.  If they were being moderated, after I made my comment it wouldn't be visible and I would have seen the following message:  "Your comment is awaiting moderation."

Go to your actual comment capsule in the hub and click "edit".  Then you will see a list of choices for moderation.  Tick the box next to "comments must be approved by author".  It will spare you some irritation.  The comments will NEVER land on your hub, not even for a minute until you approve them. 

Does that make sense?  I hope so!

8. angela p profile image68

Correction.  Their profile is just "Virginian".  I think it is my ex husband or his sister actually.  Been divorced 7 years and you would think people would get over their issues by now.  I am not perfect nor have I always done the right thing... but just cannot believe that educated people resort to doing things like this.

9. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

Set your comments global settings for "approval" so that you can deny it before it goes live. You can ignore those comments and delete them.

10. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 12 years ago

Go to this page:

http://hubpages.com/my/hubs/comments

Click on 'Show Settings' link and check 'Yes' for the following:  "Comments must be approved before they appear".

11. angela p profile image68

Thanks for looking out for me!  .. I just realized it wasn't set too.  Let me try to fix it.

You're welcome... let us know if you got it figured out.

12. angela p profile image68

Thanks skyfire - I think I did it correctly.  I changed it under Global settings right where your link took me to.

13. angela p profile image68

I did at one time not too long ago go on a following spree because I wasn't following many people.  But have not since I found out it wasn't a good thing.  I don't know.  I am not that good of a writer?... new at this whole thing.

She was talking to Lori... 

Glad you got the moderation sorted.  I think it will make things less irritating.

14. angela p profile image68

Thanks Lori - I think I will write a hub about it once I can digest all of this.  I am still in shock I think.

15. angela p profile image68

oh.. lol..  thought it was me.

16. Rik Ravado profile image86
    Rik Ravadoposted 12 years ago

If you type the IP address in here it will give you the location.

http://www.geobytes.com/IpLocator.htm?GetLocation

Hope this helps!

17. angela p profile image68

Rik Ravado - you are awesome.  Thanks.  I think I have narrowed it down to a couple of people with the help of this.  I appreciate it.

18. angela p profile image68

A positive thing from all of this. - I posted my first topic in the forums!  Sorry it had to be all about drama.

19. TMMason profile image59
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

People can be jerks, Angela.

Do not let them get you down with the BS.

Some have nothing better to do and no other way to place themselves higher in their own opinion.

There are many of them out there... so do not let them get to you.

Have a good new year.

20. angela p profile image68

TMMason - I appreciate your kind words more than you know.  I have a feeling it is not over and I have to put on my big girl britches and deal with it.  Thank  you again.  Happy New Year to you as well.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)