jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)

Do YOU feel that there is too much mollycoddling and political

1. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

correctness in American society today?  There are those who are quite afraid of telling the truth and facts because the recipient will have his/her feelings hurt or take umbrage that the former's remarks/statement will be insensitive.  The thing these days is tact.  This is translated into saying things that will soothe the person's feelings and self-esteem, even if the real and brutal truth will help them in the long run. 

A person who is candid and truthful in his/her dealings with others is often considered to be blunt and without tact.  He/she is also considered to be thoughtless regarding the feelings of others.  Has this political correctness and oversensitivity gone TOO far?  If we are adults, we should be able to take the vinegar as well as the honey.

1. AshtonFirefly profile image83
      AshtonFireflyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I think that balance is key.

Truth is interpreted differently by different people. I think it is possible to deliver one's perception of truth without being insensitive about it. Tact isn't just about not hurting someone's feelings. It's about attitude. Ultimately, whether or not one's feelings are hurt seems to be up to the person receiving the information. I could say something in the nicest manner and someone will still take offense.

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

It depends what you mean but that.  I only want to take vinegar from people I choose to mix with, or that I deserve when it comes from people I am forced to mix with (like my boss). Otherwise, I am not interested in hearing it.

3. gmwilliams profile image86
    gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago

That is so true indeed.   There are people to whom the slightest remark will be highly offensive because of their oversensitivity or they may simply dislike, even hate the person who is making the statement or remark.

4. SmartAndFun profile image91
    SmartAndFunposted 2 years ago

I have no idea. I just wanted to post in a forum thread that has both a photo of the beautiful Vanessa Williams AND the word mollycoddling! Winning!

1. AshtonFirefly profile image83
      AshtonFireflyposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Seems legit...

2. gmwilliams profile image86
      gmwilliamsposted 2 years ago in reply to this

Ms. Williams is portraying the character Wilhelmina Slater in UGLY BETTY.  I posted Wilhelmina Slater because she is known to say what she thinks whether people like it or not.  Wilhelmina Slater calls a spade a spade.

5. Zelkiiro profile image85
    Zelkiiroposted 2 years ago

99% of the time, people who complain about political correctness are just salty that they got called out for insulting people, and that ruined their hate-boner.