Do you think human beings really evolved from primates?

Jump to Last Post 51-69 of 69 discussions (306 posts)
  1. LCGreen profile image60
    LCGreenposted 12 years ago

So I guess everything we create as man is just stupid? I'm sorry, but I have a little more dignity and integrity than to call my being created stupid. You stand where you stand VoltaireZ and I stand where I stand. Thank you for your insight.

2. NathanielZhu profile image65
    NathanielZhuposted 12 years ago

The detailed work of evolution is what makes it so cool. It's a system in which big change is made from finely tuned little changes (which is why macroevolution is merely microevolution over a long time span). That's how you get such complexity as your giraffe example. As the selective factors like environment/climate/predators slowly changed, the effects of natural selection selectively caused the death of thousands of giraffes over thousands of years which lead to the modern giraffe.

Is it such a hard concept to grasp? We don't simply go from metal to cars. It requires a combination of tiny processes and modifications to create the image of perfection.

1. qwark profile image61
      qwarkposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Yep Zhu!
      Qwark

3. LCGreen profile image60
    LCGreenposted 12 years ago

I wonder also, if you make something from your hands that may have the same blueprint as say a cell phone, wouldn't you want to be accredited for it just the same? As in art, you can take a painting and tweak it and make your own and still want your name for everyone to see, as well as music. Take two beats and mesh them to make one and put new words to the feeling of it, you would want it to be yours. I'm not saying dismiss what was before us as nothing, but realize that open mindedness is something we all have to have with evolution and the same with creationism. If I believed in evolution how miraculous it is to find that something that was nothing is not something more. Why do I have to be stupid or ignorant to believe creationism (just as miraculous if not more). It hurts to know that people out there believe that I me, myself, my personality, my individuality was from something far less. I'm sorry but I don't believe that. I'm too intricate. My brain is far superior than any chimpanzee or animal for a reason. Why would it be stupid to believe with open mindedness that someone couldn't make this. And, why would it be stupid if they did?

4. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

And it required intelligence to create that car from metal.

Or was you ignoring that part of it?

The metal did not just become a car... man applied knowledge and work to the metal, and created that car... after he created the metal from the ore. And you know something, if certain parts of that car are not on it or were never put on at a certian point... it does not work. So then we get into irreducably complex, and that doesn't help Darwin.

Please, a lil more than a assainine anlogy like that if you want to impress. We, I and some few others here, are not Leftists, we do not fall over in awe of circular reasoning and flawed logic.

There are multiple systems which stump evolutionists in the human body and in nature, the eye, the mind. C'mon.

Again, Evolution exists... just not in the way you all want it to, nor in the fashion you all want to apply.

And as far as the tail bone... just because it is there does not mean there was a tail connected to it. More leaps. One, you would have to show a tail is all that is for,... and that is BS...

http://www.angelfire.com/mi/dinosaurs/tailbone.html

I got my, "Darwin is Dead", shirt on right now ...

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 12 years agoin reply to this

I assume that you will agree that bacteria can and do mutate into something they were not with abilities, strengths and weaknesses they did not have.

I would expect you to say the same thing about Mendels fruit flies, but have you chosen a point beyond which it is Gods work rather than evolution?

You mention irreducable complexity - is it any animal that has an eyeball that is the determining point where evolution cannot occur?

1. TMMason profile image61
        TMMasonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No, I won't... they are still bacteria in the end, Wild.

We know traits can come and go... but those traits are within a species, and do not give rise to a new species.

Could a specimen form one end of the spectrum of a species, become so far from the other end of the spectrum, that reproduction and other things are impossible... sure... but it is still the same species.

Evolution is a tool of and within creation... not the source of creation.

Thank you.  Your stance begins to make some sense to me - I begin to understand, finally, what you mean.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you seem to be saying that evolution can and does occur within a species, giving rise to new traits and abilities, but that it cannot produce a new species.  Am I right here so far?

You produce this sophistry by re-defining the meaning of the word "species".  I checked three different sources and all three agree that the ability to interbreed is a key ingredient in determining what species an animal is.  While a few different species can interbreed (donkey-horse for instance) ALL members of a particular species can do so.  Traits, appearance, etc. matter and should be considered, but the ability to breed is a primary trait to evaluate.

By this means you are able to then claim that animals that have evolved so far from the baseline of its species that they can no longer interbreed are still the same species - that no new species was produced by evolution.  This is patently false by the definitions used by evolution and biology, but quite reasonable when using your personal definition.

By your reasoning however, you are the same species as a gorilla as we share a common ancestor.  Evolution within a species has produced very different beings, but they are still the same species because of that common ancestry.  You are also a redwood tree for the same reason - some piece of slime long long ago got a different mutation than it's brother and took a different road but, hey, they're still the same species!

1. qwark profile image61

lol lol ....love it!
            Qwark

The problem, Qwark, is I doubt it is intentional.  I don't believe that TM spent days and days figuring out just how to subtly twist that one word, not for a minute.

Rather, it is the fundie way of debate.  Listen to others that have done just that and see if it makes sense to the religious view.  It does?  Then use the same invalid argument.

I once debated with a hubber on her hub - she was finally reduced to saying that if I could show her a dog giving birth to a cat, see it with her own eyes on every common street corner, then and only then would evolution be proven.  Every other requirement she proposed was met, but the method was to then say "I didn't mean that, I mean this and raise the bar of proof to something more difficult.  Culminating with the dog/cat thing.

Some can be taught to reason and think - some have their indoctrination and desires driven far too deeply to ever permit it.

1. qwark profile image61

I have compiled a list of those who have proven to be functioning, intellectually, at the level of simple bacteria.
                I don't respond to them.
                The list is growing...smile:
                Qwark

Same here.  I will only respond as a joke or if I think that my comments might help someone else.

At the same time the list contains some that, outside of the religio-politico forums, can be fun to talk to and provide some insightful thoughts.  And I can sometimes learn something new even there in how people "think" - how they come to their conclusions.

1. qwark profile image61

...agree!
                    Entertainment, here in the forum, is important for me, so there are those whom I repond to for that reason...yep  smile:
                    Qwark

5. qwark profile image61
    qwarkposted 12 years ago

Preacher Don just made my list...hmm:

Qwark

6. NathanielZhu profile image65
    NathanielZhuposted 12 years ago

It seems to me (TMMason and LCGreen) that you believe humans couldn't have evolved due to our superior intelligence. Well for one, why do you think we are intelligent? Because we simply have no one else smarter than us? Why not compare ourselves within our own species and say we are NOT smart. You can see this in those who suffer from down's syndrome (trisomy 21). Do you know why they are as dumb as the other animals? It is simply because of 1 single mutation on chromosome 21. Intelligence comes from the genes, and only a single mutation differs us from the other animals. Then how can we assume that we could not have evolved from a dumber predecessor when we can return to our dumb state instantly with a single mutation?

7. nomaDicVentures profile image58
    nomaDicVenturesposted 12 years ago

The past exists only as a memory in the now-

the story of evolution is the source code for your current creation-

when your done looking for the answers, youll be right here- ready to enjoy the creation

8. BukowskiBabe profile image76
    BukowskiBabeposted 12 years ago

While I don't believe we evolved from apes, adaptations occur all around us. As I believe in G-d, I believe that he created us in his image. Now, I know to many this belief appears to defy logic. I understand. Perhaps the truth is somewhere in between. I have speculated that perhaps, after the fall of man, mankind was forced to evolve in some sense. Yes, yes, it's speculation.

1. getitrite profile image71
      getitriteposted 12 years agoin reply to this

http://i536.photobucket.com/albums/ff324/dktdk51/Smiley%20Icons%201/shocked.png?????

2. Evolution Guy profile image57
      Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

No. This belief does defy logic. There is no in between - this is just you denying facts in order to keep believing nonsense. Yes - illogical speculation to defend a belief that is obviously wrong. People do it all the time. You will get there. Humans evolved. There is no question of this. You choosing to believe nonsense will not change that fact.

Good luck.

9. melpor profile image90
    melporposted 12 years ago

Preacherdon, the proof of evolution is in our DNA. We have a snip of DNA from every animal below us and every animal and plant in this world is still evolving. Every time a new generation of any plant or animal come into existence it is a slight change in them as a result of environmental pressure or that change from the previous generation is due to mutation brought on by the environmental pressure and due to the new combination of genetic material from the parent. This observation is what got Charles Darwin started on the development of the theory of evolution simply because he noticed each one of his children were different and the off-springs of all animals are slightly different from their parents. Evolution is no longer a theory and it has been proven many times that this process occurs based on current research. Today doctors are able to treat many diseases because we now have a better understanding of evolution and as a matter of fact just about all diseases is a result of evolution. The common cold is a good example of this fact. This why is why we have not found a cure for the common cold because the virus responsible for giving us a cold is constantly mutating through the process of evolution. The corn plant is another example of evolution. Through selective breeding by people living in, I believe in ancient Americas, grass seeds were transformed into the present day corn we are now eating.

1. qwark profile image61

2 thumbs up Melpor!  smile:

Qwark

2. preacherdon profile image64
      preacherdonposted 12 years agoin reply to this

That sounds more lack micro-evolution than macro-evolution. Micro evolution I believe is biblical.

1. A Troubled Man profile image59
        A Troubled Manposted 12 years agoin reply to this

The latter process is exactly the same as the former, just over longer periods of time.

10. TMMason profile image61
    TMMasonposted 12 years ago

The only proof they have is repetition... they seem to think it adds "fact" to the fire.

They like to play the game of, "You don't believe in evolution!"... when we do... just not as they want to spout it as.

11. BukowskiBabe profile image76
    BukowskiBabeposted 12 years ago

God doesn't need to evolve, rather our perception of him evolves.

12. aware profile image66
    awareposted 12 years ago

Seeding is a plausible  idea i think.    Be it  deliberate or by   catastrophe .   I always ask    those that are questing for those answers what they   would do with them  if attained.  I thank my mom for my existence  . Therefor my answer to the primate question is no.
    Ray

Because you came from your mom (a primate) man did not come from primates? 

What am I missing here?

1. psycheskinner profile image84
        psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Maybe he is a case of immaculate conception....

13. aware profile image66
    awareposted 12 years ago

Am i to understand that  in this civil dialogue . You immediately start  by  calling my mother a ape ? You seem to be missing the ability to exchange contrary ideas in a  understanding and tolerant  manner .
    Ray

1. Evolution Guy profile image57
      Evolution Guyposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Your mother is an ape. As are you. As are we all. You seem to be missing a basic education.

Partially correct.  While the common term for the family in question is "great ape" the correct term is hominid or hominidae.

The term "ape" is more commonly used to denote all of the hominid family except the genus "homo" - thus we are not apes.

A matter of semantics.

1. psycheskinner profile image84
          psycheskinnerposted 12 years agoin reply to this

Scientifically that distinction makes very little sense.  But in any case the question was whether we come from primates--and that term is inclusive of humans.  So yes, we come from and are currently primates.

14. aware profile image66
    awareposted 12 years ago

a arrangement of atoms. Im not shortsighted . 
    Ray

15. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

---“We are skeptical of claims for the ability of random mutation and natural selection to account for the complexity of life. Careful examination of the evidence for Darwinian theory should be encouraged.”---

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ty1Bo6Gm … re=related

16. psycheskinner profile image84
    psycheskinnerposted 12 years ago

Wow, we've got a lot of mileage to get out of a made up assertion and an illogical question.

17. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 12 years ago

Some primates are more "human" than us...

http://s2.hubimg.com/u/5327205_f248.jpg

18. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 12 years ago

As we are primates I don't see the point of this question.

19. profile image0
    Sherlock221bposted 12 years ago

Religious views of how the universe came into being are perfectly ok, if the individual believer finds that believing man is the centre of the universe, and that there is something special about our planet amongst the trillions of others in the universe gives them a sense of importance in an otherwise meaningless existence.  However, this should be left to the individual, and they should not attempt to replace fact with belief in public education.  It is a dishonesty to teach children untruths about the universe. 

All children should be presented with the evidence.  If they choose to deny that evidence, that is up to them.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)